Wrong source for iPlayer Live Restart

jimbjimb Posts: 1,041Member ✭✭
I often watch the BBC Breakfast programme and I use live restart to do this.
(This is when I'm watching BBC1 on channel 1, not HD.)

If I launch live restart by holding down the OK button then when the programme reaches the regional optout sections I get the red screen and the "Not available" message (which is displayed if one is watching BBC1 HD).
But if I launch live restart by pressing the red button then there's no problem and I get all the regional content.

Is this problem caused by the BBC or by YouView?
And can it be fixed please?

Comments

• JoeJoe Posts: 1,978Member ✭✭✭
    Yes I understand that currently it’s the BBC that have decided to only give access to the non regional version of the channel on restart. 
    Ive found issue with this when trying to restart a program where the schedules didn’t match up. I got the same program but further into the transmission then I was on the live broadcast.  It was very confusing until I worked out what was happening.

I think it’s a must that bbc restart should link to the regional HD version.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,535Member ✭✭✭
    edited 1 November 2018, 9:08AM
    There are no regional HD versions, except maybe ones for big areas like Scotland, Wales etc.

But nothing to match London, Midlands, SouthWest, South, etc.

This is a big thing that is holding BBC HD back.
    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ then? And all that other OldGen good stuff we were promised back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ and so on?” (Excerpt from ‘One Billboard Outside YouView Towers’, not coming soon to a box near you)
  • jimbjimb Posts: 1,041Member ✭✭
    jimb said:

If I launch live restart by holding down the OK button then when the programme reaches the regional optout sections I get the red screen and the "Not available" message (which is displayed if one is watching BBC1 HD).
    But if I launch live restart by pressing the red button then there's no problem and I get all the regional content.

This was a support question rather than a discussion.
    Could I please have an answer from YouView @Louise or @Sarah ?
  • Louise MurdochLouise Murdoch Posts: 26Administrator admin
    jimb said:
    jimb said:

This was a support question rather than a discussion.
    Could I please have an answer from YouView @Louise or @Sarah ?
    Hi @jimb ;

This is a BBC decision, I have reached out for any more information regarding why, but have not yet heard anything back. I will let you know when I do.

Apologies in the time taken to get back to you.

Louise.
    Thanks @Louise:)
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,085Member ✭✭✭
    The BBC sadly don't show regional news HD on any platform. So its not just youview.  Which can a pain when wanting to watch the regional news. And nor do they have any plans to introduce it, either.
    edited 27 November 2018, 10:05AM
    @Sarah I raised the problem described in my original post with the BBC iPlayer support team and their reply was:
    "We provided this to our operations team and they got back in touch with us to say that, after investigating, they have identified that the issue is with the YouView player feature rather than iPlayer directly. You should therefore take this issue up with your service provider or YouView directly."

Louise said:
    "This is a BBC decision, I have reached out for any more information regarding why, but have not yet heard anything back. I will let you know when I do."

Do you have any more information yet, and do you remain convinced that this is a BBC problem not YouView?
  • Louise MurdochLouise Murdoch Posts: 26Administrator admin
    jimb said:
    Do you have any more information yet, and do you remain convinced that this is a BBC problem not YouView?
    Hi @jimb

We are still looking in to this issue, I do not have anything to come back with yet but I assure you it is on my radar and I will come back with something as soon as I have it.

I apologise for the wait, thank you for being patient. :smile:

Louise.
    Thanks @Louise
  • JoeJoe Posts: 1,978Member ✭✭✭
    Visionman said:
    The BBC sadly don't show regional news HD on any platform. So its not just youview.  Which can a pain when wanting to watch the regional news. And nor do they have any plans to introduce it, either.
    Wales certainly have "regional" news and programming in HD, which makes the decision by the BBC to default to standard BBC HD on restart a little frustrating. You can still access the HD stream on restart, but you have to go into iplayer and find the streaming channel there. 
  • DarrenDarren Posts: 261Member ✭✭
    I offen watch BBC 1 Scotland in HD and there 6.30pm news is also broadcast in HD. At times I prefer the BBC Scotland news to the STV News at 6 since STV changed there STV News at 6 to a new look format.
    I wonder if BT will in time bring us the live iplayer restart feature. 
    As the now I have to press the red button on a BBC channel then go to restart a live programme from there.

Darren
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,734Member ✭✭✭
    I have tried to duplicate the issue, watching the BBC News at One, both BBC One and BBC One HD (England) restarted using the OK button. Am I doing something wrong/right?
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,734Member ✭✭✭
    Scrub that, just me being dim, got it now, apologies!
    redchiz said:
    Scrub that, just me being dim, got it now, apologies!
    This is obviously not a major issue.
    It just seems to me that it should be easy to resolve.
    The boxes are clearly able to receive a live restart feed from iPlayer that includes regional content. But for some reason using the OK button on a T2000 to launch this results in a feed without regional content.
    Using the OK button is an excellent feature as it's so very easy to do - it's clearly the method that users would prefer to use.