Any idea when Discover will reach the BT2100 box?

John LJohn L Posts: 89Member
Seems a long time since anything other than big fixes have reached this box. The radio feature is still awaiting fix on sound I believe. I know you can turn off/back on again as suggested. Just seems rather unfair Youview to release Discover on the Talk Talk 372 model (which I got rid of) plus the Humax Retail 2000 box, but a long delay on the BT2100? We have two BT2100 boxes still awaiting the Discover feature, which on the original software worked fine & did the job. Perhaps you could kindly chase up BT/Youview dept who looks after this release. Any ideas would be gratefully welcome. John L

Comments

• scottscott Posts: 1,835Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 November 2018, 2:50PM
    I think you will find BT have decided to not deploy discover on their boxes. They will probably use the push facility to MAKE you discover new programmes like the recent ‘the terror’ advert :-(
    they do of course already have a highlights page on the BT player that points to content, not really the same I know but thought I should mention everything and possible reasons why.
    Just as an aside the radio play has been fixed on the lastest release for the T4000 boxes so expect this fix any day for the T2100’s
  • John LJohn L Posts: 89Member
    If this is the case, we wasted spending money on TWo Youview pvrs that originally could work with the oldgen Discover that worked. I am extremely annoyed. Sarah, please can you feedback my remarks back to your Youview team for me. I was hoping that the BT2100 would have Discover added , as it was originally taken away since your "wonderful Nextgen" software was overwritten onto the box. We don't have a subscription to BT and certainly don't want to waste any money subscribing. Simply just want the Freeview/youview channels with a excellent (well it was!) search tool, not to be left with a "stripped down" box that may never receive the parts taken away. The only good news I have is the free box sent from Youview the 2000 model for trialists that I am trialing for you. I was hoping that the BT2100's would eventually catch up. Maybe this is still the case? John L
  • John LJohn L Posts: 89Member
    Thank you Scott, rather disappointing news so far, I have contacted Sarah/Louise directly. Hopefully Youview will chase BT.
    John L
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,002Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 November 2018, 8:29PM
    I'm also not sure Discover will make a re-appearance on the BT YouView platform.

I have it on my retail box, but its no great shakes, and personally don't miss it at all on my T2100. But its been indicated that there will be even more divergence going forward as subscription TV moves further away from non-subscription retail.
  • jimbjimb Posts: 1,026Member ✭✭
    edited 8 November 2018, 10:20AM
    As far as I'm aware the "Watch List" functionality is all integrated with Discover.
    (Perhaps someone else one can confirm this.)
    The Watch List is really quite highly developed. If BT don't implement this then users of BT boxes will be being significantly left behind. 
  • DarrenDarren Posts: 255Member ✭✭
    After seeing my sisters retail T2000 1TB Youview box a few weeks ago, there are a few features that the retail box has including discover that the BT boxes don't have any may never get. BT are starting to fall a little behind retail boxes with there software updates and new features.
    I wonder what if anything BT will add to there boxes in the next big software update that they do.

Darren
    It always depends how you look at things. You could say the 2100's are in front of retail if Amazon is a high priority. I have been told 'Watchlist' and 'Discover' are a commercial decision not to implement on BT boxes (no idea why) but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a big change as NowTV comes onto the BT platform, everything seems to point to it being far more integrated than just a new app (maybe a bit like Netflix on SKY Q) and this may lead to other forms of pushing content discovery (just making guesses no actual idea). Also we have seen splash screens advertising programmes on the BT boxes which could be the way BT want to go (along with the highlights on the BT Player). One thing that does surprise me is why iPlayer restart is not on the BT boxes (especially with 31.106 being fairly recent for the T4000).
    Whats a 'Wishlist'? As I've never heard of it?
    edited 8 November 2018, 6:32AM
    Watchlist (wish list would be typo or autocorrect if you are just being picky about the word) is this -

Improved Watch List with Continue Watching

• Add series to your Watch List
    The next time you add an episode to your Watch List, we'll automatically add the series for you.

Improved Watch List
    Press the Record button on an On Demand programme from Discover/Guide or Search to add it to your Watch List. If the episode was part of a series, we'll add all the available episodes to your Watch List making it easier to continue watching. 

• A Watch List with a memory
    Press Play on a series and we'll play the episode you originally added to the Watch List. Press OK on a series and you'll be able to see all the available episodes in that series. 

• A smarter Watch List
    Whether you're watching programmes in a player or through YouView, if you watch part of it, we'll automatically add it to your Watch List for you to pick up later. Press Play on a series that says CONTINUE WATCHING and you'll be able to pick where you left off in the player.

• Add to your Watch List from Search
    Series and programmes can now also be added to your Watch List straight from Search.

For me this is much more of a miss than discover and I think a shocking mistake for BT not to include...
    scott said:
    ...I have been told 'Watchlist' and 'Discover' are a commercial decision not to implement on BT boxes...
    That's a really significant piece of information.
    Could you please tell us who or where that's come from @scott ?
    Thanks.
    I was wondering "when did this start?"
    I believe that the "newly designed Discover" and a "new feature known as Watch List" were first released (for the T2000) in January this year! :o 
    That's an awfully long time ago, which would tend to support the proposition that BT have indeed made the decision not to adopt these features.  :(  
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,432Member ✭✭✭
    jimb said:
    I was wondering "when did this start?"
    I believe that the "newly designed Discover" and a "new feature known as Watch List" were first released (for the T2000) in January this year! :o 
    That's an awfully long time ago, which would tend to support the proposition that BT have indeed made the decision not to adopt these features.  :(  
    What is a ‘BT box’ in this context?

BT may have decided not to implement these features, as they clash with, or are superseded by, some current or planned BT TV features, but this would not keep the faith with those who bought BT Retail boxes, which really ought to shadow pure Retail boxes as closely as possible.
    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ then? And all that other OldGen good stuff we were promised back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ and so on?” (Excerpt from ‘One Billboard Outside YouView Towers’, not coming soon to a box near you)
    Roy said: 
    What is a ‘BT box’ in this context?

BT may have decided not to implement these features, as they clash with, or are superseded by, some current or planned BT TV features, but this would not keep the faith with those who bought BT Retail boxes, which really ought to shadow pure Retail boxes as closely as possible.
    As they say on planning application decisions "For the avoidance of doubt":
    The DTR- T2110 (Retail) is currently on the same software version as the DTR- T2100 (ISP) and
    the DB- T2210 (Retail)  is currently on the same software version as the DB-T2200 (ISP). 
     :( 
    Are you currently on BT?