Reception Aerial Boosters

PuffinPuffin Posts: 39Member
Has anyone tried these and have they improved signal strength?

Comments

• jimbjimb Posts: 1,026Member ✭✭
    Yes and yes.
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,210Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 November 2018, 11:00PM
    Signal boosters are effective, but they are only really useful if the signal quality is at or very close to 100%. If there is interference, or noise, on the signal, they boost that as well. In such situations they don't improve reception problems and they can make things worse.
  • jimbjimb Posts: 1,026Member ✭✭
    My experience is that adding a booster worked,
    The box was struggling and a booster was effective.
    There have been many reports of users saying that they are receiving many channels with their TVs but fewer via their YouView box.
    The only conclusion I can draw is that the various YouView box tuners actually aren't very good.
  • PuffinPuffin Posts: 39Member
    Normally the signal quality is 100% and as I type this the signal strength for channel 101 for BBC1 is moving between 71 and 72%, I have no issues with that however I often experience the channel going complete black screen for a second then come back on again, I've tested and it wasn't related to one particular channel only, in other words what ever caused that particular issue affected all Freeview aerial channels at the same time.
  • Tim CTim C Posts: 343Member ✭✭
    With a Youview box with the latest software a signal strength in the 70% range is quite low and really needs to be over 90% for consistent viewing.
    A signal amplifier should help to resolve your issues.
    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ and all that other OldGen good stuff that was promised to come back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ etc etc.., rather than the unnecessary & unasked for that does get added and serves no useful purpose? Give me optional lists as well :) ."
    Tim C said:
    With a Youview box with the latest software a signal strength in the 70% range is quite low and really needs to be over 90% for consistent viewing.
    A signal amplifier should help to resolve your issues.
    Thanks, I'll try one of those boosters and see what the results are.
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,692Member ✭✭✭
    I have to disagree, as long as Signal Quality does not fall below 100% then Signal Strength above 50% is generally fine and 70% plus should cause no problems at all. Those transient blips may be caused by something else in your setup.
  • Tim CTim C Posts: 343Member ✭✭
    redchiz said:
    I have to disagree, as long as Signal Quality does not fall below 100% then Signal Strength above 50% is generally fine and 70% plus should cause no problems at all. Those transient blips may be caused by something else in your setup.
    In my experience with NextGen and the rewritten calculation of signal strength when you get signal strength that low you start to lose channels when you tune the box in.

In OldGen the target for signal strength was 70%+ but now the target must be 90%+.

On one of my boxes when it was running OldGen I was getting around 65% for SS but when NextGen hit that figure was raised to over 90%, showing just the difference the rewrite made.
    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ and all that other OldGen good stuff that was promised to come back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ etc etc.., rather than the unnecessary & unasked for that does get added and serves no useful purpose? Give me optional lists as well :) ."
    I'm simply not happy with the aerial in the loft and it's not the normal one as the chap from TSG changed it for one more suitable for lofts.

Thing is the main mix channels are starting to go for a couple of seconds which isn't really good enough.

TSG have been a nightmare so I'm not sure what to do as they refuse to come back.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,430Member ✭✭✭
    Who are TSG and why would they (a) change your aerial in the first place and then (b) refuse to rectify the faulty results?
    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ then? And all that other OldGen good stuff we were promised back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ and so on?” (Excerpt from ‘One Billboard Outside YouView Towers’, not coming soon to a box near you)
    Roy said:
    Who are TSG and why would they (a) change your aerial in the first place and then (b) refuse to rectify the faulty results?
    Total Support Group (TSG) are who BT use for aerial installations.

They refuse because they want to charge for the last visit but the agreement was that they needed to inform me first which they didn't that there would be a charge, and they said they would not attend again.
    Is any error message coming up at all? I was basing my advice on just that:

From https://support.youview.com/youview-box/error-messages/fix-for-yvm302. Can't see any mention of 90% there.
    edited 7 November 2018, 6:16PM
    Our box runs happily with a signal strength lower than @Puffin's. Ours is mid 60%, with all available muxes present and no blocking on the HD channels. Signal quality is 100%.

Experimenting with a signal booster wouldn't hurt, but it would seem that @Puffin has aerial signal issues other than signal strength.
    redchiz said:
    I can put a variable attenuator in the aerial chain to my YouView box and crank it up until the signal goes. Driving the SS below 90% tends to achieve this.
    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ then? And all that other OldGen good stuff we were promised back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ and so on?” (Excerpt from ‘One Billboard Outside YouView Towers’, not coming soon to a box near you)
    jonesh said:
    Our box runs happily with a signal strength lower than @Puffin's. Ours is mid 60%, with all available muxes present and no blocking on the HD channels. Signal quality is 100%.

Experimenting with a signal booster wouldn't hurt, but it would seem that @Puffin has aerial signal issues other than signal strength.
    I certainly won't be allowing TSG anywhere near my property again.
    edited 7 November 2018, 7:51PM
    :)
    @Roy ; I just plug mine in and it works, why would I crank it up otherwise?   B)
    Puffin said:
    Roy said:

They refuse because they want to charge for the last visit but the agreement was that they needed to inform me first which they didn't that there would be a charge, and they said they would not attend again.
    I think my sympathies are with them. On what basis did you think the work they did would be free, or included in any subscription you had?
    edited 7 November 2018, 8:32PM
    Roy said:
    Puffin said:
    Roy said:

I think my sympathies are with them. On what basis did you think the work they did would be free, or included in any subscription you had?
    I paid BT for a working aerial installation, wasn't given an option to have it external, it could have been but wasn't, engineer was poor, didn't give much confidence on what he was doing, reception was really poor, so called BT and they sent another bloke who decided to go for an aerial that was more suited for lofts but the first one was technically better he said, so all was well and no charge because it came under the aerial guarantee.

However reception got bad again and I spoke directly with TSG and informed them that things were just as bad even with this new aerial, they offered to send someone out again, i had previously mentioned to BT about this and they gave me a fault number so that would prove that I had recorded the issue with them.

When I spoke with TSG I specifically asked about charges, and I was informed by them that I would have the chance to opt out of any work being done with no charge as long as the engineer informed me, and as I've previously explained he didn't say anything about a charge, he actually looked at the coax cable end and said that the first guy had made a right mess of both ends, so why should I pay for work that has already been paid for due to poor workmanship?
    OK, so you did pay in the first place, to BT for a working installation, you didn’t get one, so you don’t think you should pay again.

Fair enough, then.

So you should press BT for a refund of the cost of the ineffective work (allowing TSG to restore the original aerial setup if they wish, and if they can).

Then spend the money with a local aerial installer, as they are the ones that understand the area, to gain a satisfactory aerial installation.
    Asking BT for a refund would mean BT probably asking TSG to remove their previously installed aerial, as I don't wish these cowboy installers anywhere near my home I'd say that's a no no.

This whole Freeview aerial scenario is making me hope that Virgin will have their services in the area soon.
    Puffin said:
    This whole Freeview aerial scenario is making me hope that Virgin will have their services in the area soon.
    A couple of months with VM would probably cost more than you would need to sort out your aerial issue.

What is your setup? Does the downlead from the aerial run close to something like a fridge or a central heating boiler? What colour is the downlead? The brown stuff isn't good quality.
    Puffin said:
    Asking BT for a refund would mean BT probably asking TSG to remove their previously installed aerial, as I don't wish these cowboy installers anywhere near my home I'd say that's a no no.

Tell you what, get the local installer in first, either he will make what you have work, or he will tell you it is a pile of bean curd, rip it out and replace it with something decent, and you will then be in a position to give BT his professional opinion, and if TSG want their kit back, tell them where to find it - like on your bonfire, but hopefully collected before the next time you light it  :p

This whole Freeview aerial scenario is why you should never get an out-of-area installer to do an aerial.  :'(
  • Davey23Davey23 Posts: 33Member
    I have my aerial in my loft as having it outside made so little difference to my signal strength, i could also avoid weather extremes by having it inside.
    My signal strength on my dn372t always reads low but the only channels i had problems with was a couple of the +1 HD channels, i also had this problem on my BT2100 on the same aerial.
    I plugged in a very old aerial booster i had lay around and it solved all my issues.
    I bought the booster back before we even had digital TV, so you should see a benefit from any you use.

edited 9 November 2018, 2:49PM
    Davey23 said:
    I have my aerial in my loft as having it outside made so little difference to my signal strength, i could also avoid weather extremes by having it inside.
    My signal strength on my dn372t always reads low but the only channels i had problems with was a couple of the +1 HD channels, i also had this problem on my BT2100 on the same aerial.
    I plugged in a very old aerial booster i had lay around and it solved all my issues.
    I bought the booster back before we even had digital TV, so you should see a benefit from any you use.

Indeed so. A little-known fact about going digital is that nobody changed much on the transmitters, which used to send out wiggles of RF on channels 22-68 on analogue, and still send out wiggles of RF on channels 22-68 on digital.

It’s just that how those wiggles are encoded before transmission, and decoded by your devices after reception, has changed, and why there is not, really, such a thing as a digital aerial, but rather just an aerial optimised to catch the maximum wiggles possible at your reception location, and therefore one that would have served you well, or better, in the old analogue days.