Youview on Sony AF9

2»

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,275 ✭✭✭
    redchiz said:
    Thanks for that @Roy, so a wee bit unfair to point the finger at YouView in this instance? For once!
    That depends, if my theory is correct, on who told who what the memory requirement of YouView would be, and who told who how much memory would be available to YouView  :p
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭
    edited 13 November 2018, 12:55AM
    That would be highly doubtful. But if you want to accuse a world class TV platform of not knowing its a**e from its t*&s* feel free.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭
    And before you reply - no - I don't agree with you at all.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 13 November 2018, 10:10AM
    Visionman said:
    And before you reply - no - I don't agree with you at all.
    I gathered that. (Though what, pray, is t*&s*, which I can’t resolve to ‘elbow’ or anything like it?)

However, in a public Community it isn’t you I have to convince (though it would be nice if I could) but those watching this exchange with less entrenched views.

So here are a couple of basic questions for anyone interested, and undecided about my suppositions, to ponder on:-

Do you think YouView was supposed to get only so far on these TV sets and then stall? (e.g. it can’t even pause and rewind live TV, let alone offer the initially promised record facility, and this has been the case since 2015).

And don’t you think that if it was YouView’s fault that it has fallen so far short of its promise, then that world class TV platform would have dropped them like a hot potato in favour of something that did work? (e.g. Sony has had three model years now either to fix whatever is blocking YouView from fulfilling its promise, or to to bring something else in).
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Jeffuk1Jeffuk1 Member Posts: 84
    edited 13 November 2018, 11:48AM
    Roy,  the new processor on the AF9 is a huge improvement over the AF8 and is from my reading over-specced and sized to process "upscaling" to 8K on future sets as well as the new Object-based Super Resolution and Pixel Contrast Booster on this one.  So far as internal storage is concerned, having installed all the apps I need and with all of the huge amount of preinstalled apps and having them all stored on internal rather than added storage I still have almost 7gb of main 16gb TV storage left. 

I think it most unlikely to put it mildly that the set is not capable of having an improved - and even bloated - Youview stored and processed and coexist alongside an improved satellite interface. It really seems a most unlikely suggestion.

So far as your other presumption is concerned, as far as I'm aware the Youview issue is only an issue for a small segment of the UK market ie those UK customers who have a pre-exisitng knowledge and preference for Youview instead of the other.  Perhaps it simply hasn't received the attention it needs because it is thought to be avoidable effort.  Having a four tuner TV that I can attatch storage to but for the HW not to be optimally configured by the software is an error and a missed marketing opportunity.  I'd have paid even more for fuller Youview ntegration.  As someone from the computer industry I can tell you that it isn't unkown for wrong conclusions to be reached and perhaps from Youview's position it is not considered to be a high priority at the moment.

Hi @Jeffuk1

Have you spent any time on the relevant Sony forum? Some of the postings there might change your view a little.

But if not, do you have any competing theories to share as to why YouView is so far short of its goals on these Sony TVs, and yet nothing has been done about this?

I don’t think it can really be that neither Sony nor YouView care about the situation.

Anybody from YouView care to comment here?
    edited 13 November 2018, 12:00PM
    Roy, I certainly can.

Your premise is based on the naive but understandable presumption that organisations always behave with logic and foresight and do what others see as clearly obvious.  That in my experience is an entirely false premise.  Unless you have worked at a senior level in industry you will not have had experience of observing how often and regularly this happens. I can can give you a briefcase full of what seemed like small at the time insignificant errors of judgement that have had extremely bad outcomes - some that have changed industries and some have had far reaching societal change. 

Youview's stance by comparison is extremely easy to rationalise.
    Jeffuk1 said:
    Roy, I certainly can.

Your premise is based on the naive but understandable presumption that organisations always behave with logic and foresight and do what others see as clearly obvious.  That in my experience is an entirely false premise.  Unless you have worked at a senior level in industry you will not have had experience of observing how often and regularly this happens. I can can give you a briefcase full of what seemed like small at the time insignificant errors of judgement that have had extremely bad outcomes - some that have changed industries and some have had far reaching societal change. 

Youview's stance by comparison is extremely easy to rationalise.
    How senior have you been?
    Sufficiently.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭
    Fred Goodwin? Bob Diamond? Gavin Patterson? Dido Harding? Phillip Green? No mere mortal could possibly understand what these titans of capitalism did. Oh, wait ....
    Jeffuk1 said:
    Sufficiently.
    Gone all coy, then.

But I’m inclined to believe you, as you seem to have that ‘senior management’ lack of awareness that the problems within an organisation are often more obvious to the man on the shop floor than to the man in the executive washroom, who fondly imagines that only he understands them.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭
    Or woman.   ;)
    redchiz said:
    Or woman.   ;)
    The senior women are usually too savvy to lack that awareness  o:)