VOD 365 player launch

SarahSarah Posts: 1,346Administrator admin
edited 26 November 2018, 11:31AM in Announcements
Hi everyone,

Today we are launching the VOD 365 player bringing loads of exciting new content to your YouView devices. As Ketchup is part of VOD 365, it has been merged with the other VOD 365 networks into one tile as shown below. 

The players within the VOD 365 player are:
Ketchup TV: Aimed at children between 2-6 years old which offers a wide range of popular children’s TV content such as Peppa Pig and Fireman Sam 
Sports Channel Network (SCN): A video on demand service for premium sports video content with categories including, Motorsport, Sailing, Golf, MMA, Fishing, Cycling, Cricket, Formula E and many more. 
Planet Knowledge: A factual documentary video on demand service with categories including Nature, History, Science, People and Travel. 
The Gas Station: Aimed at motor enthusiasts and covering a wide range of categories, this service will be coming soon!

It is also available on channels 265 (Planet Knowledge) and 266 (Sports Channel Network) for all smart TVs (including Sony Android) and the Youview box. Viewers will need to press the red button to launch the player. Ketchup TV remains on channel 211.

If you have any questions feel free to let us know :) 

Thanks,
Sarah

Comments

• jimbjimb Posts: 1,138Member ✭✭✭
    1) When should the new player tile become available?

2) When playing on demand content from a channel, using the skip function results in the sound muting - and staying muted.
  • SarahSarah Posts: 1,346Administrator admin
    Hi @jimb
    1) The new player tile should be available soon, we will update once we know more.
    2) Can you please confirm the YV box you are using and if this happens across all the VOD 365 channels or if it's just happening on one of them? 
    Thanks,
    Sarah
    @Sarah both Sports Channel Network and Planet Knowledge.
    But it's not consistent.
    And sometimes hitting skip again brings the sound back.

T2000 box.
    Thanks @jimb. Can you let me know the pieces of content you've tried which have this issue so we can test it on our end? 
    Just to confirm, you're going to the channel and pressing red to launch the player rather than going through Players & Apps? Have you tried getting to it the other way and found that the issue still exists? 
    Thanks,
    Sarah
    I can't do "the other way" as the players are not yet showing in Players & Apps.
    I've tried 6 to 8 times with various programmes, sorry can't remember titles, but I'm afraid my patience has run out - it's rather annoying sitting through the ads. 
    Over to you now, unless someone else in the forum is motivated to try this. 
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Posts: 174Member ✭✭
    My tile just shows ketchup as the player, but accessing this all players show for selection.
  • zulu17zulu17 Posts: 953Member ✭✭
    The App & Players tile is correctly appearing on my T4000 and the limited use I have made so far this afternoon on Planet Knowledge and Sports Channel Network and both the Skip  and fast forward keys work fine when content is playing (although not suprising they are not available to skip or ff adverts) with no issues with the sound so far,

There is one pecularitiy in that if  you press i  having selected  and playing content in that the time is displayed  as  Mon 26 Nov 3:31 AM  wheras UK time is 3:31 PM,

Just tried Planet Knowledge "The Galapagos Shark" on a DTR-T2100.
    Same problems with sound muting. 
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,527Member ✭✭✭
    I've just accessed and trick played the apps with no problems to report.
    What a pleasant surprise. I've just been presented some content on the Sports Channel in HD. Decent picture as well.
  • skillerskiller Posts: 294Member ✭✭
    @Sarah, I'd just like to add to the concerns about the sound after skipping.

On my T2000, it behaves just like @jimb describes. Specifically, I have tried it on channel SCN with programme Droid GP: Episode 1 and on channel Planet Knowledge with programme Inside 9/11: End Game.

On my T1000 I tried the same 2 programmes and again using skip affected the sound, but strangely, it didn't mute it. What it did do was replace it with what I can best describe as rapid machine gun fire.

Interestingly, if I back out of the programme with the sound working correctly, then when I play the programme again and select Resume, then it resumes with the correct sound. But if I back out of the programme with the sound bad (whether muted or gun-like), then when I resume, it continues with the bad sound.

It behaves the same whether accessing via the Player menu or by pressing Red on the channel.

I can't say I have witnessed the wrong time though, as @zulu17 mentions. It displays correctly to me.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,240Member ✭✭✭
    edited 27 November 2018, 8:48AM
    You have more patience than me  :p

After watching the same washed-out Amazon ad about six times, and thinking this was a bad quality channel, it finally showed a different ad in decent quality, proving it was Amazon’s ad at fault not the channel.

Then I chose a programme to watch and got yet more ads, including the Amazon one twice more, before it started.

Then what was supposed to be a serious science film about the death of a star got the whole nine yards of American yuck-it-up, for those with the attention span of a gnat.

Planet Knowledge used to be really good; this travesty isn’t. Maybe the machine gun fire was a SWAT team coming to put it out of its misery?
    This might at last be getting back to the YouView that I knew.  :|
    Holding my breath....
    Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback and the issues raised, our Content team are investigating now.

Thanks,
    Sarah
  • BizBiz Posts: 34Member
    Just to add a "me too", sound drops completely when you FF a stream on Sports Channel Network and Planet Knowledge. (T2000)

Also a second "me too" as to the annoying adverts wrapped around some iffy "science" content.
    The Player is now up. Four in one. Only 5 minutes of adverts to watch to access it. Then once accessed another bunch before the content plays. Thats really poor. The picture quality is good, but I won't be watching it again as I dislike excessive adverts with a passion.
    Reading various pages on the VOD365 website I came across the following (separate statements) 

We will introduce ad free pay options for our viewers in 2019 in addition to broadening our channel portfolio and expanding distribution.”

“Something that VOD 365 has developed and is able to deliver on YouView that others don’t is dynamic advertising, says Coster. “Launching on YouView is exciting because, excluding ITV’s programmatic advertising,we’re the only AVoD service on there delivering dynamic advertising.”

“THE GAS STATION

Schedule to launch on Freeview December 2018 and Youview January 2019.

The Gas Station will be the go to channel for motor enthusiasts and launch with video on demand, high quality content in a High Definition format across a range of categories.

More news on the content launch package will be announced late November 2018.”

• BizBiz Posts: 34Member
    I assume when they use the buzzwords "dynamic advertising" they mean something along the lines of "targetted advertising" i.e. feeding you ads that they think are relevant to YOU based on your viewing patterns. So you watch a show about (say) car racing and instead of being sold matresses and washing up liquid it's motor oil and  tyres.

Better not watch any of those 'Secrets of Victoria's Secrets" - type programmes when everyone else is in bed, it might be difficult to explain to the wife and kids why they're seeing ads for "adult toys" and dating services coming up all the time :o

• RoyRoy Posts: 15,240Member ✭✭✭
    @zulu17

Lets hope the ad thing sorts itself out soon. I’m not going to pay to watch these channels, and the advertisers will be horrified at the sheer number of ads you have to sit through to get to something you want, and they are not going to want to pay good money to be crammed in with a lot of other advertisers at a time when all the ads are doing is frustrating customers.

The sensible approach is maybe one ad before the actual programme starts, and then two-minute breaks for them maybe every 15 minutes in the programme.

They could learn from All4, who have now backed away from having minutes of lead-in ads, because they found people just go elsewhere, something VOD 365 could learn from.
    This might at last be getting back to the YouView that I knew.  :|
    Holding my breath....
  • DanielDaniel Posts: 1,948Member ✭✭✭
    On this player I get Amazon advertising over and over during the advertising I have never seen a different ad.
    Are are we still expecting the Gas Station to be added  ?
    zulu17 said:
    Are are we still expecting the Gas Station to be added  ?
    Hi @zulu17,
    Our Content team are going to check with VOD 365 about this so I'll get back to you once I know more :)
    Thanks,
    Sarah