Help no connection

logan45logan45 Posts: 4Member
Hi ,
my box can’t connect to the internet , I have followed all the instructions the box is Yvm102 . If I try and go into settings on the box and broadband connections it just freezes ?? I have checked my broadband it works . I’m connected by an Ethernet. Can u help ?? 

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 15,055Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @logan45 and welcome to the Community!

Have you worked through the YouView Help Page for YVM 102?

If not, please try that, and then come back with your results; if still no go, there are further things we can suggest to try, but the above usually fixes it.
    Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?
  • logan45logan45 Posts: 4Member
    Thank Roy,

it's been Christmas so i just kind of left it. But still the same and idea's you have would be greatly received.

Thanks

logan45 said:
    Thank Roy,

it's been Christmas so i just kind of left it. But still the same and idea's you have would be greatly received.

Thanks

No worries.

But what were the results you got when you worked through the steps on that link I gave you above?
    every time i go onto setting Broadband and then find my router it freezes and just stays trying to find it ??? 
    says connecting to router please wait???? but doesn't do anything else 

I’m still not quite convinced you have worked through the list....

Above, in my first posting, you should click on ‘YouView Help Page’, which will take you to the official YouView advice for resolving YVM102.

Which would have had you rebooting your router at this point, but I don’t see anything here to indicate you have done this?

Step 3 on that link is check your cables. At the back of the YouView box, where the Ethernet cable comes in, you should be able to see a little light flashing. Can you see this?

If not, make sure the router cable is seated at both ends.

Step 4 is reboot your router. Do this, even if the router works for everything else, as it can get hung up over one single port.

I haven’t had such an issue with my YouView boxes, but I have had to do this to get an iPad working on WiFi again, even when everything else - including my wife’s iPad - was working perfectly, and nothing needed to be changed on my iPad.

And if you have powerline adaptors, reboot those also.

Then Step 5 is to restart your YouView box.

If none of this works, then Step 6 suggests to come here, which is sound advice, and there is further help to be offered here if none of the above has worked, but you do need to have tried Steps 1 to 5 first, as these do resolve the vast majority of YVM102 issues.

Good luck!
  • whiskyladywhiskylady Posts: 7Member
    Hi Logan45, I have the same problem yvm102 and also yvm104 (it changes) and I know what you mean when you click on 'connect' in automatic setting, it keeps saying 'connecting to router' and nothing happens. I have carried out all the steps Roy suggested more than once.

I also called TalkTalk and got two new power line adapters as middle lights weren't on in my adapters. However, with the new PLAs, the middle light (wee house) is sometimes green, usually flashing red, static red or not on at all like now. The on demand works about 2%, Netflix about 5%, nothing tonight and I have reset everything  and plugged the adapters into a double socket with the Ethernet cable to see if they could connect to each other. It was yvm104 but after the latest reset I am back to the yvm102!

I'm pretty much at my wits end....
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,334Member ✭✭✭
    Hi whiskylady,

When you plugged the adaptors into a double wall socket did they connect? But then when you plug them back they don't?
    edited 8 January 2019, 11:23PM
    Hi @whiskylady

If you have carried out all the steps for YVM102 and YVM104, there are two things left that you can try.

The first, and safest, is to eliminate the PLAs as a possible cause of the problem by bypassing them; if you can, bring your YouView box temporarily closer to your router so you can use the direct Ethernet cable. Or if not, get one long enough to reach from router to YouView box, and try that temporarily. Or move the router near to the YouView box on a longer phone cable; same difference.

The second solution is to try a Maintenance Mode reset, option 2, as described here. If it works, great. But if not, you will be stuck, as it will try to connect as part of the startup, and if it can’t, it will just hang.

If I got into this situation, I would then take the box to the house of a friend, or someone in your family, and try it there, on a different internet connection.

If it then works, you know the problem is in your house, even if you still don’t know what it is; if it still doesn’t work, it’s most likely a hardware problem, and the box will need replacing.
    Hi Visionman,

Nope, plugged in side by side and connected with an Ethernet cable (I tried both the cables that came with the new PLAs) no middle light at all. Doesn't even flash red. Power is green and the other light (wifi?) is green. This is what happened with my previous PLAs...I thought it was them but I guess it wasn't.

Hi Roy,

sorry, missed your reply as I was triple checking the PLAs in adjacent sockets. Don't think I can plug box direct to router, as my Ethernet cable not long enough to move box from tv and the phone cable not long enough to move router towards the box. Too late now but may have a go at option 2. Everyone I know has Sky and I don't want to take round a YouView box and beggar about with other people's Internet and the back of their TV's with cables and such, in case i mess up their systems...I'm not really that technical...I've just followed all the options I could find for yvm102 and 104 errors. It worked fine before and nothing has changed, it suddenly works fine for an hour and then off again for a day....beyond annoying. 
    Hi Roy,

oh I just checked that maintenance mode option...I did this before the other day and I also did it again this evening (what can i say, I just keep trying). I thought it was called a factory reset. Anyway, after I did it tonight, I managed 20mins of Netflix before a buffering symbol came up...got to 25% and then said error yvm102 could not connect to router and bam...back to the beginning again. Never had a buffering symbol before. Fun and games.
    edited 9 January 2019, 10:20AM
    Hi whiskylady

What’s your broadband speed? Go to this link, put in the requested details, note the estimated possible speed given on the page you land on, then take the Full Results option on the page, measure your broadband speed on the Checker you are taken to, and post both results here.

Also, who is your ISP, and what is the make and model of your PLAs? Then I can try to look up what you expectation of the lights should be.

I’m wondering if the problem could be your router, especially as it comes and goes; do you have a decent amount of non-YouView broadband use, and is that rock solid?
    edited 9 January 2019, 10:08PM
    Retail T2000
    Well knock me down with a feather. I was watching a film on Netflix last night and half way through it suddenly stopped. Then I got the infamous Netflix 25% loading wheel. I know how to fix that, so here comes the feather bit - for the first time ever, the screen went blank and the message 'YVM104 - No Connection' popped up. Then, again for the first time ever, the box locked up. I had a glance at my powerline and the connection light had indeed changed from green to red. But to my surprise a soft reboot cured the lot. Strange days but I'm putting it down to a blip.
    Hi Visionman and Roy,
    Download speed is 5.9 and upload is 1meg. I am with 
    talktalk and the PLA thingies came from them. Tonight's joy is mainly down to me...I was so cross with it all that I did a factory reset using the YouView box (which i,have done before) now it is saying 'we can't connect to the Internet' on my tv screen and won't connect automatically or manually using the ip settings etc from my iPad which is connecting fine. So no TV. I have turned off router, PLA things, reset everything, unplugged everything, kicked the YouView box, all to no avail. Now looking at a screen saying 'broadband connection unavailable'. Jeezo, third world problems right enough. 
    edited 9 January 2019, 10:01PM
    Oh forgot to say. The router was new in August as my other one was about 8 years old and not supported anymore. This was meant to be a new high speed one but I have noticed that my internet is a bit slower. Worked ok on tv and iPad before this nonsense.

I think your box has had it. If you are with TalkTalk TV, which it sounds like you might be, call TalkTalk and they will replace your box for you.

If your existing one is more than a year old, then ask them politely but firmly to cede ownership of the replacement box to you, in writing, lest it suddenly become theirs, not yours, as laid out in their (very) small print.
    Hi Roy,

thank you for your reply, I'll have to gird my loins for a call to TalkTalk. I'm still getting over the previous calls about this, which resulted in a (wasted) visit by a BT engineer to check the line, as they thought they found a fault...there wasn't and I said it was fine. Then the second call, almost an hour, resulted in new PLAs which don't seem to be the problem. I'll work up to it. YouView box now lying in a heap with PLAs and cables. 
    Hi Visionman,

Nope, plugged in side by side and connected with an Ethernet cable (I tried both the cables that came with the new PLAs) no middle light at all. Doesn't even flash red. Power is green and the other light (wifi?) is green. This is what happened with my previous PLAs...I thought it was them but I guess it wasn't.

Hi,
    WL, try re-plugging the PLAs back into a double wall socket and follow the TT instructions for re-pairing them, checking what each light means/stands for. But listen, PLAs when connected in this fashion don't use an ethernet lead, they connect over your homes electrical wiring.