Netgem launches new Freeview Play and 4k based tv service

Comments

• I'm trying to order, but can't seem to find that @Visionman says exists, can't still see how I get Freeview via NowTV as Visionman suggests, @Visionman
    https://www.nowtv.com/tv-smart-box

• scottscott Posts: 1,864Member ✭✭✭
    edited 28 November 2018, 10:23PM
  • BizBiz Posts: 22Member
    jonesh said:
    If we are comparing devices we should stick to the official specification.
    Unfortunately - or perhaps fortunately - people don't solely base their purchasing decisions on the official specifications when comparing similar products. I don't think I'm saying anything new to point out that cost and availability can also be a factor, along with anything from clashing with the decor to previous good\bad experience with a company. But for me the ability to retain broadcast material on alternative media was and is a major factor in deciding who gets my money.
  • highdeftvfanhighdeftvfan Posts: 52Member
    edited 28 November 2018, 10:38PM
    scott said:
    Cool, it's a matter for of time
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,085Member ✭✭✭
    Roy>
    "A £45 NowTV box, the one that had a Freeview tuner in it. The takeup of which was very low due to the inconvenient fact that there were very few viewing devices out there you could plug it into that didn’t already have a full complement of Freeview channels for the taking."

They (SKY) allegedly lost a lot of money on that venture. I mean who on earth wants a smart streamer box that shows Freeview channels? Virtually no one. You can pick up a second hand or never used 2nd gen YouView PVR for £40 these days which perfectly complements a smart TV. This Netgems got crash and burn written all over it.

Oh, but I'll say this again - highdeftvfan - I know nothing about sticks and nor have I ever mentioned them.
  • Sorry @Visionman I still don't understand how I get a NowTV Stick for £45 that gives me Freeview Channels?
    Neither do I as I've never said you can because you can't. Freeview broadcast on Digital Terretrial Television for which you need an aerial.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,535Member ✭✭✭
    End of the wrong stick, @highdeftvfan ; :D

Its the NowTV box that can’t record, and which I had hoped it was clear enough that that was what I was referring to.
    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ then? And all that other OldGen good stuff we were promised back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ and so on?” (Excerpt from ‘One Billboard Outside YouView Towers’, not coming soon to a box near you)
    edited 29 November 2018, 11:25AM
    Sorry @Visionman I still don't understand how I get a NowTV Stick for £45 that gives me Freeview Channels?
    You do bang on a bit, don’t you, @highdeftvfan?

Safari shows 11 instances of the word ‘stick’ on Page 1 of this thread, with you introducing the word ‘stick’ in the context of the NowTV Smart Box, a word Visionman  had not used for it.

Now you have been repeatedly told about this box, but you say you can’t find it on the NowTV site. Well, they are not exactly going to big up a product that was rather a failure, and is now obsolete, and that they are tiptoeing embarrassedly away from.

But there are still references to it there (if you can get past your self-inflicted hangup with ‘stick’) such as this.

For more details, you need to look for reviews that were made when this box was launched, such as this.

But if you think there is no substitute for actually holding one in your hands to prove it exists, then why not buy one, which you still can?
    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ then? And all that other OldGen good stuff we were promised back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ and so on?” (Excerpt from ‘One Billboard Outside YouView Towers’, not coming soon to a box near you)
    scott said:
    Which says ‘The app will mark the first time viewers will be able to watch live Freeview programming without having to access an aerial.’

Which might be news to users of the YouView app.

And would be unconditionally incorrect if only YouView had taken up my suggestion that tapping on any current live programme supported by a Player should take you to that programme in the Player, just like it does for catchup  :/ 
  • AshAsh Posts: 256Member
    I'm trying to order, but can't seem to find that @Visionman says exists, can't still see how I get Freeview via NowTV as Visionman suggests, @Visionman
    https://www.nowtv.com/tv-smart-box

@highdeftvfan   
    I wish I'd seen this topic earlier. I'm only just reading through it now

I must advise you not to buy the smart box that NowTV have listed on their website. This is the smart box GEN 2 , otherwise known as the smart box 4K . This does not contain a DVB T2 tuner, meaning you cannot receive terrestrial TV channels using that box. 

Only the first generation smart box contains a DVB T2 tuner . NowTV don't sell the first generation smart box any more on their own site and it is becoming increasingly difficult to get third-party retailers. 

The second gen smart box does contain a few nice things. 4K support as the name suggests, and support for HDR in both HDR10 and HLG  flavours. So yes, that means it support iPlayer 4K HDR content as well as Netflix 4K HDR content, 4K playback is also supported in YouTube 
  • TomWTomW Posts: 488Member
    edited 1 December 2018, 3:38PM
    Don’t people have access to all the apps and players, and all Freeview channels, by now in any case? Plug in sticks and boxes are now ten a penny and most TVs now have them built in.

My LG TV offers me pretty much everything I need built in and it’s a mid-range model. It offers me Netflix, Prime, YouTube, all in 4K, and NowTV and myriad other apps including all the terrestrial catch-up apps. It also has universal voice search and Freeview Play built in. I believe it can also record with the addition of a USB hard drive.

That said, I have to be honest, while the Freeview Play EPG is much better than YouView’s, overall I find the interface to be unituative and confusing. YouView has its faults but they were 100% correct to insist on a universal standardised interface across all hardware. With the exception of the EPG YouView’s interface is streets ahead of Freeview Play, in my humble opinion.

• Tim CTim C Posts: 350Member ✭✭
    TomW said:

That said, I have to be honest, while the Freeview Play EPG is much better than YouView’s, overall I find the interface to be unituative and confusing. YouView has its faults but they were 100% correct to insist on a universal standardised interface across all hardware. With the exception of the EPG YouView’s interface is streets ahead of Freeview Play, in my humble opinion.

Surely Freeview Play is really just the EPG & a simple link to the individual catchup players, just like Youview, although handled slightly differently. In truth I find Youview's catchup via the EPG slightly better.
    The rest is down to the TV manufacturer as to how they present menues, recording list or whatever.
    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ and all that other OldGen good stuff that was promised to come back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ etc etc.., rather than the unnecessary & unasked for that does get added and serves no useful purpose? Give me optional lists as well :) ."
    edited 1 December 2018, 4:24PM
    Tim C said:
    TomW said:

Surely Freeview Play is really just the EPG & a simple link to the individual catchup players, just like Youview, although handled slightly differently. In truth I find Youview's catchup via the EPG slightly better.
    The rest is down to the TV manufacturer as to how they present menues, recording list or whatever.
    I agree that YouView’s catch-up via the EPG better. That is one area where I think the Freeview Play interface is particularly poor. However the layout and flexibility of the FreeView play EPG is much better than YouView in my opinion - in particular I like that the full program title and synopsis is exposed in the guide and I like the mini TV .

The other menus and the recordings list etc., are indeed down to the TV manufacturer. And that is the problem. The overall user experience feels rather disjointed and ill- conceived. The EPG search function on my TV for example has never worked, and setting recordings and viewing the recordings list is spectacularly confusing and unituative. Whereas I think I’m right in saying that on YouView  those things are part of the core functionality / interface which is universal to all YouView boxes / TVs albeit perhaps the TVs are just zappers and as such don’t have recording capability.
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,223Member ✭✭✭
    TomW said:
    However the layout and flexibility of the FreeView play EPG is much better than YouView in my opinion
    There is no unique FVP EPG. The layout is determined by the manufacturer, not by Freeview. The only requirement is that there must be a "Forward and Backwards EPG with deep links to player content".
    TomW>
    "Don’t people have access to all the apps and players, and all Freeview channels, by now in any case? Plug in sticks and boxes are now ten a penny and most TVs now have them built in."

Pretty much, yes. Which makes this new Netgem venture all the more confusing. Now TV tried it (a streamer plus DTT) and failed spectacularly. So why do Netgem think they can achieve what SKY/ROKU couldn't? Plus, there are three products out there that already have market traction, YouView, Freeview Play and Now TV. So how much of the pie are they likely to take from the big hitters? Probably not a lot, if any of any significance at all. So if anyone fancies one of these, I'd wait a few months until the price drops.
  • Tim CTim C Posts: 350Member ✭✭
    jonesh said:
    TomW said:
    However the layout and flexibility of the FreeView play EPG is much better than YouView in my opinion
    There is no unique FVP EPG. The layout is determined by the manufacturer, not by Freeview. The only requirement is that there must be a "Forward and Backwards EPG with deep links to player content".
    I'm not saying you're wrong but when I questioned Panasonic support about some issues I had with the EPG they stated quite categorically that the EPG is designed by Freeview. Who knows?
    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ and all that other OldGen good stuff that was promised to come back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ etc etc.., rather than the unnecessary & unasked for that does get added and serves no useful purpose? Give me optional lists as well :) ."
    jonesh said:
    TomW said:
    Just did a Google image search and you’re quite right. The Freeview Play EPG on my LG TV is different to (and much better than) the EPG examples I found on Google.
  • JoeJoe Posts: 1,978Member ✭✭✭
    edited 2 December 2018, 12:33PM
    Visionman said:

Which makes this new Netgem venture all the more confusing. Now TV tried it (a streamer plus DTT) and failed spectacularly. So why do Netgem think they can achieve what SKY/ROKU couldn't? Plus, there are three products out there that already have market traction, YouView, Freeview Play and Now TV.
    This is a Freeviewplay product so sits within that category. But I agree its going to have a smaller slice of the pie just because of the saturated Freeview play market. I Imagine a new player like this needs to be really good and innovative to gain any traction.
    Experience wise they do have the benefit of developing the EETV platform ( or at least supplying the hardware for the platform). 

To my mind the consistant and more integrated platform of Youview still has many benefits over FreeviewPlay. It would take a lot of resources to get a polished platform package like Youview... but there are chinks in Youviews armour which could be exploited by the competition. 
    Just had a look - 
    https://www.netgem.co.uk/#

Actually its seems pretty good. Looks like they're using the casting technology that was developed for EETV. You can stream recordings to other devices in the house. If I was looking for a new Freeviewplay device this would be high on my list. Wonder if the recording facility is limited to a usb stick, or could you use a larger portable hard drive? 
    More info here:
    https://www.netgem.co.uk/support/#content

The mobile app is shaping up to be quite interesting. 
    edited 2 December 2018, 10:40PM
    Joe said:
    Just had a look - 
    https://www.netgem.co.uk/#

Actually its seems pretty good. Looks like they're using the casting technology that was developed for EETV. You can stream recordings to other devices in the house. If I was looking for a new Freeviewplay device this would be high on my list. Wonder if the recording facility is limited to a usb stick, or could you use a larger portable hard drive? 
    It’s intriguing but the marketing is very short on detail. I don’t understand what this box would offer that I don’t already have. Watching recordings on my tablet I guess. But why would I want to watch on a tablet when I have a big screen TV. If it offered remote access to recordings, well that’d be different, but since it doesn’t I’m struggling to see the point of the cast feature. They also don’t provide any detail about how many Freeview tuners it has or what the EPG looks like. If it only has one Freeview tuner then that in of itself would be a deal breaker for me. I hope it isn’t but overall it looks very much to me like a busted flush.
    It should have a minimum of two tuners if its any good. It's the minimum detail on mobile that caught my eye. 

"Watch all your recordings on mobile or tablet in the home."  Which implies not while out and about.
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,735Member ✭✭✭
    Yay, just what we need, another box that doesn't quite deliver everything.   :)

Why would you want a Freeview tuner in what is ostensibly a smart box? Why would you want a smart box that doesn't carry Netflix? Why would you want a box that boasts about PVR capabilities via an added drive when most modern TVs will accomplish that (see point one)?

Nonplussed does not begin to describe my reaction.
    edited 4 December 2018, 5:30PM
    redchiz said:
    Yay, just what we need, another box that doesn't quite deliver everything.   :)

Why would you want a Freeview tuner in what is ostensibly a smart box?

So you can record from it?

Why would you want a smart box that doesn't carry Netflix?

Why would anyone want a smart box that doesn’t carry NowTV Entertainment or YouTube?
    Oh, wait.....

Why would you want a box that boasts about PVR capabilities via an added drive when most modern TVs will accomplish that (see point one)?

Maybe it is designed for Sony Android TV users who don’t want to give up on YouView?

Nonplussed does not begin to describe my reaction.

J t’aime moi nonplussed....
    I have Roku, I have Chromecast, I have a YouView box, I have Freeview TVs, I have smartphones and tablets of various flavours, if I didn't I still wouldn't make haste for this piece of junk ahead of any of those.
    redchiz said:
    I have Roku, I have Chromecast, I have a YouView box, I have Freeview TVs, I have smartphones and tablets of various flavours, if I didn't I still wouldn't make haste for this piece of junk ahead of any of those.
    In order to properly evaluate a product, it is important never to have used one, and possibly to never have seen one, lest this introduce some bias into the process.....  >:)
    This is a YouView forum?