Netgem launches new Freeview Play and 4k based tv service

13»

Comments

• jimbjimb Posts: 1,041Member ✭✭
    I have Roku, I have Chromecast, I have a YouView box, I have Freeview TVs, I have smartphones and tablets of various flavours, if I didn't I still wouldn't make haste for this piece of junk ahead of any of those.
    Which of those can do Dolby Atmos, 4K HDR, and voice control via Alexa?
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,734Member ✭✭✭
    I don't have a 4K TV at the moment and I don't intend to until content becomes mainstream. Voice control is being trialled on YouView. I believe both Chromecast and Roku already have 4K devices available?
  • jimbjimb Posts: 1,041Member ✭✭
    redchiz said:
    I don't have a 4K TV at the moment and I don't intend to until content becomes mainstream. 
    So it's obviously not for you.
    But dismissing it as a piece of junk is a bit extreme.
    I didn't dismiss it as such, there is plenty of other junk out there to choose from. 
  • scottscott Posts: 1,864Member ✭✭✭
    edited 4 December 2018, 6:58PM
    Unfortunately every device has its own limitations with no 'one box to rule them all'. I thought my TV apps would be the best fit but have found out that the LG can't pass Dolby Atmos to my amp over arc properly so I have had to resort to an Apple TV but that can't pass Dolby Vision for Amazon (yet). I would expect this box to again have many limitations between apps (mainly ones it doesn't even have yet), I am sure it will have some plus points and some minus points. The plus point for me is HDR but the lack of Netflix and NowTV are big minus points, there is also some strange wording regarding 'casting' live tv channels and not being able to record one live channel while watching another 'at times'. I think the marketing may be hiding some issues but I would be interested to see more.

https://netgemhelp.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020081111-How-can-I-cast-from-the-netgem-tv-mobile-app-to-TV-

Casting from TV guide tab:

• Navigate to the channel/programme
    • Select  the program you wish to watch and you will be presented with the option to ‘Play on Mobile’ or ‘Play on TV’
    • Select ‘Play on TV’ and the programme will play on the TV 

Note : 

1. The cast icon would always be available when you are in the specific tabs
    2. There may be some instances that you cannot cast a live channels and record a different live channel (this will be indicated by a pop-up message)
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,085Member ✭✭✭
    jimb>
    "Which of those can do Dolby Atmos, 4K HDR, and voice control via Alexa?"

How many people have access to Dolby Atmos, 4K HDR and Alexa?
    Not many I'll tell you. Niche beyond niche atm. Heck, most people don't even watch HD even when their kit affords them it. 
    @scott I think we are all what you might call enthusiasts here, but the tech just moves on and on and on and planned obsolescence falls over the latest tech and on and on and on ....
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,535Member ✭✭✭
    redchiz said:
    This is a YouView forum?
    It is indeed, as I suspect you well know.

But if you are suggesting that the forum should be conducted in blissful ignorance of the context in which YouView operates, and of the pretenders to its throne, then that would make it a lesser place in my opinion, and so I find this current discussion very much on topic.

Or are you grinding a different axe?
    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ then? And all that other OldGen good stuff we were promised back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ and so on?” (Excerpt from ‘One Billboard Outside YouView Towers’, not coming soon to a box near you)
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,085Member ✭✭✭
    edited 4 December 2018, 11:00PM
    Unlike the BT forum (THIS FORUM IS FOR THE DISCUSSION OF BT PRODUCTS ONLY!),
    which is closed-minded tosh from those up on high, one can talk about anything on here in relation to YouView. And to be honest is a better place for it as it, as it gives a gauge. 
    @Roy That's rich coming from the grinder in chief! No sharp objects here, nurse won't allow it ....
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,535Member ✭✭✭
    redchiz said:
    @Roy That's rich coming from the grinder in chief! No sharp objects here, nurse won't allow it ....
    Gives a whole new meaning to ‘Nurse, the screens’  :p
    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ then? And all that other OldGen good stuff we were promised back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ and so on?” (Excerpt from ‘One Billboard Outside YouView Towers’, not coming soon to a box near you)
13»