BT youview remote doesn't work with Sharp TV

Hi there,

Wondering if anyone has a work around for the below problem. 

I have a youview box hooked up to a Sharp (UMC B50CF5101kb07Z) tv. 

Now my understanding is (after trying to setup a harmony remote) that these tv's use RF signals from the remote rather than IR (hence why the harmony remote doesn't work) and this is why the youview remote can not be used to control the tv either. 

Does anyone know of a work around so I can use the youview remote to control the tv? Change source, volume, standby etc? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated 

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 14,535Member ✭✭✭
    It’s discussed here, which may give you some pointers; swap the RF board for an IR board maybe, or find a concealed IR In already on the set, that you can use.

You can test if an IR remote is working by looking at the business end with the camera on your smartphone while pressing a few buttons; the camera makes the signal visible. 

But this does not work for an RF remote which, as with the Amazon Fire remotes, may not even have an obvious business end.

You might be able to use this Harmony remote; it comes with a Hub that does RF, it says there, so could control your TV, while the IR side of the remote could control the YouView box. It also says there there is a later model, but that is nearly twice the price and might not do any more for you anyway.

Less obviously, here’s a device claimed to work with a smartphone app, and do both RF and IR. Certainly a cheaper option, but perhaps not as slick as the Harmony solution.

I was going to joke ‘change the TV’; but someone in the referenced thread did just that  :p

“Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ then? And all that other OldGen good stuff we were promised back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ and so on?” (Excerpt from ‘One Billboard Outside YouView Towers’, not coming soon to a box near you)
  • Roy said:
    It’s discussed here, which may give you some pointers; swap the RF board for an IR board maybe, or find a concealed IR In already on the set, that you can use.

You can test if an IR remote is working by looking at the business end with the camera on your smartphone while pressing a few buttons; the camera makes the signal visible. 

But this does not work for an RF remote which, as with the Amazon Fire remotes, may not even have an obvious business end.

You might be able to use this Harmony remote; it comes with a Hub that does RF, it says there, so could control your TV, while the IR side of the remote could control the YouView box. It also says there there is a later model, but that is nearly twice the price and might not do any more for you anyway.

Less obviously, here’s a device claimed to work with a smartphone app, and do both RF and IR. Certainly a cheaper option, but perhaps not as slick as the Harmony solution.

I was going to joke ‘change the TV’; but someone in the referenced thread did just that  :p

Hahah it did cross my mind about changing the TV but then came to my senses. 

Thank you for a this great response, will have a read up about the harmony remote. 
    I've been on the fence about getting one for a while and maybe it's time I give it a shot 🙃.

Thanks again