YouView names its Director of Product as new CEO

scottscott Posts: 1,890Member ✭✭✭
edited 4 December 2018, 3:59PM in News

Congratulations Susie Buckridge!!!

http://www.seenit.co.uk/youview-names-its-director-of-product-as-new-ceo/

Simon Duffy, Chairman of YouView said: “We are delighted to announce Susie Buckridge as YouView’s new CEO.

“We have selected a strong leader who knows the team, the shareholders and the market well and who is stepping up into this significant new role at an exciting moment in YouView’s history.”

Susie Buckridge said: “It is a great privilege to become CEO of such a successful British technology company.

“Richard Halton’s strong leadership means I will be leading a company at the forefront of the media industry.

“Our continued mission will be to work with our seven shareholders, harnessing their combined strength in the UK market to bring new TV products and services to consumers.”

Is the 'exciting' moment because they have to negotiate a new deal for funding :)

Comments

• jimbjimb Posts: 1,079Member ✭✭
    That's a very safe choice.
    Maybe YouView could have benefited from an external appointment - someone with a completely new perspective.
     :( 
  • Paul1959Paul1959 Posts: 10Member
    God help us. 
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,188Member ✭✭✭
    edited 4 December 2018, 7:53PM
    Paul1959 said:
    God help us. 

From what?
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,248Member ✭✭✭
    edited 4 December 2018, 9:19PM
    @Paul1959 and @jonesh what is this? just good old fashioned sexism?

She's pretty smart - better educated than Halton ( Cambridge v Warwick).
    But has been with YouView from the beginning, so probably steeped in the YouView culture.
    Who knows, she may have some radical ideas and might shake the place up a bit.
    But that would have been more likely to happen if they had appointed someone from elsewhere (IMO).
    Buckridge knows her stuff and all things YouView and there's steel behind that voice.
    She knows where its going and will know where she wants to take it. 
    edited 5 December 2018, 10:33AM
    jimb said:
    @jonesh what is this? just good old fashioned sexism?
    On the contrary @jimb. I was commenting on the earlier post. I thought that I had left enough clues.
    For some reason YouView have just put out a press release about this:
    https://www.youview.com/2019/01/17/susie-buckridge-appointed-ceo-youview/
    with a photo which on my computer is ultra close, has an interesting scrolling effect and a blue tint on one side.
    If I was her I'd be none too happy about it.
  • alal Posts: 1,291Member ✭✭
    I think the original photo is ok, just the way it's rendered depending on your screen settings. Mobile is fine.
    On my 21:9 screen she has no eyes!

jimb said:
    with a photo which on my computer is ultra close, has an interesting scrolling effect and a blue tint on one side.
    Would you be concerned about what the person thought about their photograph if it was a man @jimb ;)?
    jonesh said:
    jimb said:
    Would you be concerned about what the person thought about their photograph if it was a man @jimb ;)?
    As I said "If I was her I'd be none too happy" and I am a man.
    So no casual sexism there  :p 
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,818Member ✭✭✭
    jimb said:
    Yes, I wouldn’t be too happy with a computer that did that either  :p

But nothing wrong with the picture on this iPad, AFAICS.

The reason for the press release is, I think, that we now have an actual changeover date, 1st February 2019; previously we had the announcement but not the timescale.

Those who can get past the picture, though, will find this interesting snippet:-

...’more recently, working with Richard and the Board to agree a new shareholder agreement.’

so this is in active play at the moment.
    Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?
    edited 18 January 2019, 10:27AM
    Roy said:
    jimb said:
    For some reason YouView have just put out a press release about this...

The reason for the press release is, I think, that we now have an actual changeover date, 1st February 2019; previously we had the announcement but not the timescale.

Those who can get past the picture, though, will find this interesting snippet:-

...’more recently, working with Richard and the Board to agree a new shareholder agreement.’

Nothing wrong with my computer I built it myself  :p

Where did you get 1st February from?

And the working to agree a new shareholder agreement info was in the article in the original post which was dated 4th December - so they might be close to having it sorted.
    jimb said:
    As I said "If I was her I'd be none too happy" and I am a man.
    So no casual sexism there  :p 
    There you go again . . .  :p.
    jimb said:
    Roy said:
    jimb said:
    For some reason YouView have just put out a press release about this...

Nothing wrong with my computer I built it myself  :p

Where did you get 1st February from?

And the working to agree a new shareholder agreement info was in the article in the original post which was dated 4th December - so they might be close to having it sorted.
    1st February deduced from the last paragraph of the press release.
    Roy said:
    1st February deduced from the last paragraph of the press release.
    Ah, well spotted and deduced!  :)
  • scottscott Posts: 1,890Member ✭✭✭
    edited 18 January 2019, 10:58AM
    Well this press release makes a very big point of mentioning the 'seven' shareholders and how they will work with them going forwards. So if the new agreement is done it appears it could be similar to last time and not dropping out as many have predicted due to freeview play. Time will tell I suppose. When was the last agreement actually announced (scrabbles to google :))
  • It's more likely they will combine youview and play into one service and relaunch it as freeviews answer to subscription tv
    Theres zero chance of that happening as they are two totally different products, platforms and organisations. 
  • That's like saying we have 2 buses on the same route, both running exactly the same time. Not logical but we can't change the situation as one is a red bus with a petrol engine and different tickets. 

"That's like saying we have 2 buses on the same route, both running exactly the same time."

Yes, thats right.
    Visionman said:
    "That's like saying we have 2 buses on the same route, both running exactly the same time."

Yes, thats right.
    Indeed it is.

And the second bus company came about because the first bus company was heavily pushing season tickets, something the owners of the second bus company didn’t like, so they made their buses free  :p
  • Which means youview has very few friends when its funding is reviewed 
    Which means youview has very few friends when its funding is reviewed 
    If they have deep enough pockets, it doesn’t matter how few there are.
    I love this time of year. Which are times of unfounded speculation about YouViews DOOM across not just this forum but all. It was the papers that were after them the last time (at last renewal) with unfounded wildfire speculation that the BBC and ITV were going to pull the plug presented as fact. And then..... they all renewed. And since then there hasn't been a peep or even a peek-a-boo article about YouView, including this renewal cycle, which by past histories should be renewal announced by the end of the month.
  • There's only one thing worse then being talked about and that's not being talked about.
    The smell of indifference is overpowering 
    What are you implying, Stephen? That they are not going to renew?
    edited 19 January 2019, 10:07AM
    There's only one thing worse then being talked about and that's not being talked about.
    The smell of indifference is overpowering 
    You’re driving us Wilde.

And can I have that mixed metaphor with fries please?
  • I think they will change direction. Youview is stagnating so it makes sense to merge it with the more accessible freeview play.
    edited 19 January 2019, 12:13PM
    I think they will change direction. Youview is stagnating so it makes sense to merge it with the more accessible freeview play.
    Merge how, exactly?

Still waiting for an answer here (taps foot).