[Discussion] BT Software Update 31.108.0 / 3.5.136

SarahSarah Posts: 935Administrator admin
edited 5 December 2018, 6:27PM in Announcements
Hi everyone, 

Feel free to discuss the BT Software Update 31.108.0 / 3.5.136 in this thread. 

Thanks,
Sarah

Comments

• robin0800robin0800 Posts: 45Member
    Just checked and I've got it and I must say the guide is working very well and does not spill or hide the next program.
  • Dan DanDan Dan Posts: 40Member
    We have it too and the initial thoughts are what? and why? 
    When looking at the guide, you are presented with a big white tile that is about 25% occupied with "information"
    So, Question Time  that I already know is hosted by David Dimbleby says words to the effect "tonight's show is hosted by David Dimbleby who is joined on the p........"
    So I have to press "I" anyway to find out who's on the panel.
    Either use the panel space available or give us the option to disable it. 
  • mintominto Posts: 13Member
    I have intermittent internet access where I live. This means that I regularly get a large black bar across the bottom 1/3 of the screen saying that I can't access the internet. I can't get rid of it by pressing the back button. If i press youview and then back it goes and then comes back. It always happens when I try to access the guide which means I can't see what the guide says. 
  • John LJohn L Posts: 100Member
    Hi Minto, looks like an oversight from the design team for Newgen. Looks "great when it works", but not rather distracting when in your case you simply want to see the TV Guide. Are you able to use another brand of box or the Tv's own tuner. Yes, I appreciate you shouldn't have to, but until they look into design & improve, sadly I think you are stuck with this. It seems that the Youview new design is very dependant on the cloud/internet connection. I can understand the logic of storing user data etc, but it's a bit like a motor car without the "starter handle" when things go wrong. I wonder if the RAC might help? (only joking!). Hope you find a solution. I would email the Youview technical team & see if they can help you directly. John L
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,535Member ✭✭✭
    edited 9 December 2018, 10:31PM
    Hi @Minto and @John L, YouView is designed to require the internet now, and when it can’t show you a row of pretty thumbnails, you get the placeholder message shown; it’s not a black bar as such.

To continue the RAC analogy, complaining about how YouView handles this is a bit like complaining your car won’t go when there is no petrol in the tank.

So, why have you got intermittent internet, and why do you tolerate this, when presumably you are paying your ISP for uninterrupted internet?
    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ then? And all that other OldGen good stuff we were promised back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ and so on?” (Excerpt from ‘One Billboard Outside YouView Towers’, not coming soon to a box near you)
  • John LJohn L Posts: 100Member
    Good morning Roy, I know that Youview needs internet connection. I was trying to explain to Minto,hopefully to help him. I was also putting a bit of humour into the answer like you do . . . . John L
  • Tim CTim C Posts: 350Member ✭✭
    edited 10 December 2018, 5:11PM
    Well just updated to this version & the change to the Guide is nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. I tend to use the Guide on the app so I wasn't too concerned by this change.
    Obviously the reduced timeout on playback is welcome.

Might even do my T2100 now.

“Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ and all that other OldGen good stuff that was promised to come back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ etc etc.., rather than the unnecessary & unasked for that does get added and serves no useful purpose? Give me optional lists as well :) ."
  • fordford Posts: 1Member
    Why oh why do we have this latest update which has a huge white box, which covers other information, and shows nothing more than the normal info. Please, please, cancel or replace this update, returning the menu to the previous version, without! The big white box!!!!!
  • Tim CTim C Posts: 350Member ✭✭
    Tim C said:
    Well just updated to this version & the change to the Guide is nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. I tend to use the Guide on the app so I wasn't too concerned by this change.
    Obviously the reduced timeout on playback is welcome.

Might even do my T2100 now.

I should have added that as far as I can tell that Guide change is on no practical use to man nor beast and clearly has upset quite a few users while pleasing less. Well done Youview.
    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ and all that other OldGen good stuff that was promised to come back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ etc etc.., rather than the unnecessary & unasked for that does get added and serves no useful purpose? Give me optional lists as well :) ."
  • Dan DanDan Dan Posts: 40Member
    I would like to think that some of the illustrious posters to t..........