[Discussion] BT Software Update 31.108.0 / 3.5.136

SarahSarah Posts: 1,025Administrator admin
edited 5 December 2018, 7:27PM in Announcements
Hi everyone, 

Feel free to discuss the BT Software Update 31.108.0 / 3.5.136 in this thread. 

Thanks,
Sarah

Comments

  • robin0800robin0800 Posts: 49Member
    Just checked and I've got it and I must say the guide is working very well and does not spill or hide the next program.
  • Dan DanDan Dan Posts: 45Member
    We have it too and the initial thoughts are what? and why? 
    When looking at the guide, you are presented with a big white tile that is about 25% occupied with "information"
    So, Question Time  that I already know is hosted by David Dimbleby says words to the effect "tonight's show is hosted by David Dimbleby who is joined on the p........"
    So I have to press "I" anyway to find out who's on the panel.
    Either use the panel space available or give us the option to disable it. 
  • mintominto Posts: 13Member
    I have intermittent internet access where I live. This means that I regularly get a large black bar across the bottom 1/3 of the screen saying that I can't access the internet. I can't get rid of it by pressing the back button. If i press youview and then back it goes and then comes back. It always happens when I try to access the guide which means I can't see what the guide says. 
  • John LJohn L Posts: 160Member
    Hi Minto, looks like an oversight from the design team for Newgen. Looks "great when it works", but not rather distracting when in your case you simply want to see the TV Guide. Are you able to use another brand of box or the Tv's own tuner. Yes, I appreciate you shouldn't have to, but until they look into design & improve, sadly I think you are stuck with this. It seems that the Youview new design is very dependant on the cloud/internet connection. I can understand the logic of storing user data etc, but it's a bit like a motor car without the "starter handle" when things go wrong. I wonder if the RAC might help? (only joking!). Hope you find a solution. I would email the Youview technical team & see if they can help you directly. John L
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,073Member ✭✭✭
    edited 9 December 2018, 11:31PM
    Hi @Minto and @John L, YouView is designed to require the internet now, and when it can’t show you a row of pretty thumbnails, you get the placeholder message shown; it’s not a black bar as such.

    To continue the RAC analogy, complaining about how YouView handles this is a bit like complaining your car won’t go when there is no petrol in the tank.

    So, why have you got intermittent internet, and why do you tolerate this, when presumably you are paying your ISP for uninterrupted internet?
    For those familiar with Red Dwarf, the internet seems to be divided into those who find it fascinating that Kryten is named after J.M. Barrie’s ‘The Admirable Crichton’, and those who think ‘So what?’
  • John LJohn L Posts: 160Member
    Good morning Roy, I know that Youview needs internet connection. I was trying to explain to Minto,hopefully to help him. I was also putting a bit of humour into the answer like you do . . . . John L
  • Tim CTim C Posts: 394Member ✭✭
    edited 10 December 2018, 6:11PM
    Well just updated to this version & the change to the Guide is nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. I tend to use the Guide on the app so I wasn't too concerned by this change.
    Obviously the reduced timeout on playback is welcome.

    Might even do my T2100 now.

    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ and all that other OldGen good stuff that was promised to come back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ etc etc.., rather than the unnecessary & unasked for that does get added and serves no useful purpose? Give me optional lists as well :) ."
  • fordford Posts: 1Member
    Why oh why do we have this latest update which has a huge white box, which covers other information, and shows nothing more than the normal info. Please, please, cancel or replace this update, returning the menu to the previous version, without! The big white box!!!!!
  • Tim CTim C Posts: 394Member ✭✭
    Tim C said:
    Well just updated to this version & the change to the Guide is nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. I tend to use the Guide on the app so I wasn't too concerned by this change.
    Obviously the reduced timeout on playback is welcome.

    Might even do my T2100 now.

    I should have added that as far as I can tell that Guide change is on no practical use to man nor beast and clearly has upset quite a few users while pleasing less. Well done Youview.
    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ and all that other OldGen good stuff that was promised to come back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ etc etc.., rather than the unnecessary & unasked for that does get added and serves no useful purpose? Give me optional lists as well :) ."
  • Dan DanDan Dan Posts: 45Member
    I would like to think that some of the illustrious posters to t..........
  • JonTJonT Posts: 1Member
    Recent update on extra information on current program - finding it difficult to navigate and see other programs and info. How do I switch it off and return to the old  style?
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,073Member ✭✭✭
    Dan Dan said:
    I would like to think that some of the illustrious posters to t..........
    AR chopped off the ending?  :p
    For those familiar with Red Dwarf, the internet seems to be divided into those who find it fascinating that Kryten is named after J.M. Barrie’s ‘The Admirable Crichton’, and those who think ‘So what?’
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,073Member ✭✭✭
    JonT said:
    Recent update on extra information on current program - finding it difficult to navigate and see other programs and info. How do I switch it off and return to the old  style?
    Badger YouView to make this switchable, or to drop it altogether as a design mistake of the first water.

    And hope they listen. That’s all you can do....  :'(
    For those familiar with Red Dwarf, the internet seems to be divided into those who find it fascinating that Kryten is named after J.M. Barrie’s ‘The Admirable Crichton’, and those who think ‘So what?’
  • Dan DanDan Dan Posts: 45Member
    Roy 
    AR chopped off the ending?  :p
    I knew there was intelligence out there somewhere😉
  • DaveHDaveH Posts: 1Member
    This is a pointless and very annoying change. The channel guide was just fine the way it was. Can we PLEASE get rid of this update, or provide a means of switching it off.
  • 49er49er Posts: 1Member
    Dont like the new white block on guide it hides nearby programs during lookups, also since this upgrade I am continually losing all mt scheduled recordings never happened before update
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,336Member ✭✭✭
    49er said:
    Dont like the new white block on guide it hides nearby programs during lookups, also since this upgrade I am continually losing all mt scheduled recordings never happened before update

    Welcome to the forum.

    Thats nothing to do with this update or any other. Best to check your aerial signal strength and quality and check for recording clashes.
  • stokesd3stokesd3 Posts: 134Member
    edited 14 January 2019, 10:33AM
    +1 for undoing the guide ''enhancement". Nice idea but doesn't add enough value to justify the constant distraction when you're scrolling across. Otherwise Youview is looking good. Would be a bonus if you could prioritise recordings mind, like I had on my 12 year old TiVo...
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,073Member ✭✭✭
    edited 14 January 2019, 11:48PM
    stokesd3 said:
    +1 for undoing the guide ''enhancement". Nice idea but doesn't add enough value to justify the constant distraction when you're scrolling across. Otherwise Youview is looking good. Would be a bonus if you could prioritise recordings mind, like I had on my 12 year old TiVo...
    YouView does prioritise recordings; first come (i.e. earliest recording request), first served,

    What rules did your TiVo have that you think were better?
    For those familiar with Red Dwarf, the internet seems to be divided into those who find it fascinating that Kryten is named after J.M. Barrie’s ‘The Admirable Crichton’, and those who think ‘So what?’
  • stokesd3stokesd3 Posts: 134Member
    Roy said:
    stokesd3 said:
    +1 for undoing the guide ''enhancement". Nice idea but doesn't add enough value to justify the constant distraction when you're scrolling across. Otherwise Youview is looking good. Would be a bonus if you could prioritise recordings mind, like I had on my 12 year old TiVo...
    YouView does prioritise recordings; first come (i.e. earliest recording request), first served,

    What rules did your TiVo have that you think were better?
    Not my experience unfortunately. With TiVo you had a list of scheduled series and you could move them up and down to change the priority. Even if first come first served worked, what happens when something new comes on that you want to be top priority? Delete other programmes that you think may clash, add the new programme and then reinstate the ones removed in exactly the right order. Too much faff 😆
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,073Member ✭✭✭
    stokesd3 said:
    Roy said:
    stokesd3 said:
    +1 for undoing the guide ''enhancement". Nice idea but doesn't add enough value to justify the constant distraction when you're scrolling across. Otherwise Youview is looking good. Would be a bonus if you could prioritise recordings mind, like I had on my 12 year old TiVo...
    YouView does prioritise recordings; first come (i.e. earliest recording request), first served,

    What rules did your TiVo have that you think were better?
    Not my experience unfortunately. With TiVo you had a list of scheduled series and you could move them up and down to change the priority. Even if first come first served worked, what happens when something new comes on that you want to be top priority? Delete other programmes that you think may clash, add the new programme and then reinstate the ones removed in exactly the right order. Too much faff 😆
    The YouView box doesn’t work like that, though. You can’t add a recording that’s going to clash, so you know straightaway you have to do some rescheduling if you want to capture it.

    The only place that prioritising rules even come into play is when programmes are moved around after you have scheduled them, or they overrun, or a failed recording is to be replaced by recording a reshowing.
    For those familiar with Red Dwarf, the internet seems to be divided into those who find it fascinating that Kryten is named after J.M. Barrie’s ‘The Admirable Crichton’, and those who think ‘So what?’
  • stokesd3stokesd3 Posts: 134Member
    You can add a series without noticing if you happen to pick an episode that doesn't clash when booking. There may be other episodes in the series that do though. I don't want to faff around rescheduling that's my point Roy 😉
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,073Member ✭✭✭
    stokesd3 said:
    You can add a series without noticing if you happen to pick an episode that doesn't clash when booking. There may be other episodes in the series that do though. I don't want to faff around rescheduling that's my point Roy 😉
    But you didn’t mind every time you added a series on the TiVo, faffing around to decide exactly where in the list it should go?

    Or didn’t it work like that?
    For those familiar with Red Dwarf, the internet seems to be divided into those who find it fascinating that Kryten is named after J.M. Barrie’s ‘The Admirable Crichton’, and those who think ‘So what?’
  • stokesd3stokesd3 Posts: 134Member
    Nah it was easy. 
  • Hi All
    Is version 31.108.0 / 3.5.136 still only for the DTR4000 as stated on the version summary page, or is it being rolled out to the T2100?
    Asking because over on the Plusnet TV forum there's a chap whose BT badged 2100 updated its software yesterday, to a version with a purple themed epg with BT logo and white programme info box. In doing so it has lost all the PNTV additional channels (and recordings therefrom).
    My own 2100 is still on version 31.69, with a blue(ish) epg and dark info box, and Youview, not BT, logo.
    TIA
    Brian

  • Louise MurdochLouise Murdoch Posts: 38Administrator admin
    edited 15 February 2019, 3:04PM
    beeceegee said:
    Hi All
    Is version 31.108.0 / 3.5.136 still only for the DTR4000 as stated on the version summary page, or is it being rolled out to the T2100?
    Asking because over on the Plusnet TV forum there's a chap whose BT badged 2100 updated its software yesterday, to a version with a purple themed epg with BT logo and white programme info box. In doing so it has lost all the PNTV additional channels (and recordings therefrom).
    My own 2100 is still on version 31.69, with a blue(ish) epg and dark info box, and Youview, not BT, logo.
    TIA
    Brian

    Hi @beeceegee

    Welcome to the forum!

    31.108.0 / 3.5.136 for the T4000s and 31.69.0 / 3.5.132 for the T2100/T2200 are equivalent versions and you will see the same features.

    The BT branded skin (as shown in the screenshots for both this and 31.69.0 software update pages come from your ISP config - if you are on a BT line you will see this theme. If you have a different supplier you may see the YouView skin - this is normal behaviour.

    Both of these versions were released in November/December last year so it is unlikely, if the user has had their box connected to the internet since then, that the box will have only just updated. It is possible the user's box has run itself into an issue which only a software reset can fix - and this software reset has not picked up the correct ISP configuration since, resulting in the loss of channels.

    However, without seeing the issue it is difficult to be certain, but if the user were here we would most likely recommend a maintenance mode reset.

    I hope this clears things up for you. :smile:

    Louise
Sign In or Register to comment.