Any PVR's available other than Humax ?

Not that I don't like our Humax - I do.  Just that in their infinite wisdom they haven't seen fit to have the ability for two machines to be controlled separately.  The controller ends up controlling both at the same time.  Not what I want.

I'd like a second PVR to get over programming conflicts at 9pm !  

So are there any other manufacturers ?

TIA

Comments

• joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭
    Huawei make Youview boxes for TalkTalk.

Non-Youview Humaxes have different remote control codes from their Youview boxes, so they can be used in the same room. The Panasonic PVR remotes can be set so that you can have up to four Pannies in the same room.
  • John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 833 ✭✭
    Hi countyman2, there used to be more brands out there: Sagem/Sagemcom, Samsung +  Hitachi/Sharp/Bush/Alba/Wharfedale/Digihome + more (all made by Vestel clone) + more. Humax have always been the major brand. I remember purchasing my first Humax in 2006 & still have the machine & it works. I think the choice has a lot to do with the market trends/consumer demand/economies of scale, basically who wins the market! Humax & Panasonic are major competitors at the moment. Just have to wait & see what is in store around the next corner. Merry Christmas + enjoy your tv this Christmas! John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,946 ✭✭✭
    @countryman2

Get a square of black cloth and drape it over the magic eye of whichever YouView box you want to be unaffected by whatever you are doing to the other one from the remote.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Jeffuk1Jeffuk1 Member Posts: 52
    Not that I don't like our Humax - I do.  Just that in their infinite wisdom they haven't seen fit to have the ability for two machines to be controlled separately.  The controller ends up controlling both at the same time.  Not what I want.

I'd like a second PVR to get over programming conflicts at 9pm !  

So are there any other manufacturers ?

TIA
    I use two together, but I actually use what you feel is a disadvantage as an advantage.  I have two BT boxes connected to the same TV.  One is switched off whilst the other is on.  This means that I can happily programme one without interfereing with the other and if I hit the power button, the live box switches off and the sleeping box switches on.  By simply using this method it pretty much feels like a single box with sufficient tuners. 

It took me some time to realise that two boxes with the same RC code was pretty good. :)
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    @Jeffuk1 I couldn't agree more. I'm using a similar setup with 2 youview boxes and it works fine as long as you power one up on the box first. I certainly wouldn't get rid of my Humax boxes for a minor inconvenience if that really. I have actually seen the talktalk boxes in action many a time and in my opinion there very slow and I wouldn't like to have one in my daily use setup.
  • Jeffuk1Jeffuk1 Member Posts: 52
    Daniel said:
    @Jeffuk1 I couldn't agree more. I'm using a similar setup with 2 youview boxes and it works fine as long as you power one up on the box first. I certainly wouldn't get rid of my Humax boxes for a minor inconvenience if that really. I have actually seen the talktalk boxes in action many a time and in my opinion there very slow and I wouldn't like to have one in my daily use setup.

The only thing missing is that in Humax's infinite wisdom they have decided that their customers aren't responsible or trustworthy enough to be trusted with the option of a machine not switching itself off at it's own initiative at some time or other, and it has always been that once I have sat down comfortably and are ready with my RC in my hand that I discover that both boxes are off and I have to get up again to switch one on.  It happens every day and I never seem to learn.

I so wish that Humax would bring out a box - it needn't be cheap - with a very large hard drive or two with five or six tuners and a slingbox capability.  My life would then be complete and I could watch my TV when I am traveling.
  • countryman2countryman2 Member Posts: 48
    I must be misunderstanding something here.  Surely if you have one machine switched off (ie powered down) then what is the point of having it ?  I want the option to record 3/4 channels at the same time - admittedly very occasionally. I do use the search button to find when any programmes are being repeated and so can record then but often get caught out with sign language on screen.  I also make max use of channel +1 hour later.  But there are times when a second recorder would be useful.

Roy...I tried the black cloth trick but found I was forever getting up and down to flip it over the right box and/or forgetting to do it.
  • DanielDaniel Member, Super User Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭
    @countryman2 you are misunderstanding when we say power we are on about the power button either on the front or on the top of the box depending on which Humax you have. This would only put the box into standby which will still allow recordings to take place. Obviously don't use the power switch on the back of the box. 
  • One other way round this problem,is to buy a Humax dvp 5000t,which is a pure freeview box,but has the ability to use a different infrared code.Some of the idiosyncrasies of this box caused me to return it,but that might have been just me,read the reports if you're interested,but it's not a cheap route!!
    Daniel said:
    @countryman2 you are misunderstanding when we say power we are on about the power button either on the front or on the top of the box depending on which Humax you have. This would only put the box into standby which will still allow recordings to take place. Obviously don't use the power switch on the back of the box. 
    Thanks for the clarification, Daniel.  I do have another Humax box and so will give that a try.
    Just been thinking about this a bit more.  Assume I have two Humaxes but in the morning both will be in sleep mode.  If I hit the wake-up button then they will both turn on.  So a manual turn on presumably to get round this ? 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,946 ✭✭✭
    Just been thinking about this a bit more.  Assume I have two Humaxes but in the morning both will be in sleep mode.  If I hit the wake-up button then they will both turn on.  So a manual turn on presumably to get round this ? 
    And a manual turn off at night, or you will put the one you were using to sleep, and wake the other one up  :p
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris