Youview box keeps switching off

Newbie on here but my box (18 months old now) keeps randomly switching off.  The lights go off and it won't respond to the remote.  The only way to reboot it is to unplug it, leave it a few secs and then plug in again.  Can anyone suggest a solution?

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 14,945Member ✭✭✭
    When it’s responding, and while not recording nor about to, touch the On/Standby button for just over 8 seconds until it soft reboots.

See if that improves things.
    Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?
  • ConfuzzledConfuzzled Posts: 2Member
    Thanks Roy, the last couple of days have been better following the soft reboot but today it is awful - box has turned itself off half a dozen times this evening.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,945Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks Roy, the last couple of days have been better following the soft reboot but today it is awful - box has turned itself off half a dozen times this evening.
    When you say ‘turned itself off’ what do you mean exactly? Complete power cut, box goes dark? Or just box goes into standby? Or what?

And which box is it, where did it come from, who is your ISP, is the box on subscription, what software version is it on?

I might suspect a rogue remote, toggling the power button? Does it ever turn itself on again? Try putting the remote in a bag, where it can’t affect the box, and see if it still keeps turning off.

Check the wall plug is firmly in its socket, and the connector to the YouView box likewise firmly engaged.

So, if we can get past such external factors, we are left with the power supply and the box itself. Hardware or software; let’s hope it’s software, as we can likely address that.

You have two options with the box; Soft Reset and Maintenance Mode.

So, while not recording nor about to, touch the On/Standby button/ring for just over 8 seconds, until the box reboots.

See If this fixes it.

if not, carry out Maintenance Mode, I suggest Option 4, the most drastic reset that still preserves your recordings (though everything else will go, so make notes), using the instruction for your particular model.

Let us know what happens, and we will go from there.
    Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?