youview DTR T4000

Hi,

I have a BT DTR T4000 Youview box about 3 years old. Last week when I turned the box on it was in maintenance mode. I did a software reset and it was fine. The next morning it was back in maintenance mode so I did a factory reset which worked fine.

Again the next morning it was in maintenance mode. Now none of the factory reset options work. I get a message along  "sorry selected option did not operate correctly" I can select software reset but this takes me back to maintenance screen.

Also the box is now making  a loud whirring noise. I assume this is the HDD. If I replace the HDD will this solve the problem? I don't want to buy a new HDD without checking first.

The box was a gift 3 years ago. I have no warranty and I am not on a BT package.

Thanks for any help

Ian

Comments

• DanielDaniel Posts: 1,947Member ✭✭✭
    If the box is making that noise it does sound like the hard drive however if you are trying to save money the cex website has some second hand youview boxes cheap. Other than that looks like a new hard drive is going to be needed. But by the time you pay for a new 1tb hard drive you may as well get a second hand youview box and cex give 2 years warranty anyway on everything they sell.
  • Hi Daniel.

Thanks a lot for your answer. Will check out cex. Happy new year.
    Thanks and happy New year to you
  • meviewmeview Posts: 5Member
    I've just fitted a 2nd replacement HDD in my T2100 but it does sit in a cabinet with poor ventilation so I'm not overly surprised.

Instead of buying another Youview box from CEX to replace it with, I bought a HDD from there.
    Even the 2nd hand HDDs come with a 2 year warranty.
    I got a 320Gb one given it was in stock and is ample for my needs - only £10.
  • GoodbyeGoodbye Posts: 97Member
    Unless your desperately after a 4k box it's worth thinking of getting the T200 box.
    Dirt cheap on Ebay and not as noisy. We once had a 4000 in the bedroom but had to move it as it was so loud. 

The reason I recommended cex is it's a cheap way to give the original poster exactly what they had before the fault. Also I certainly wouldn't want to go from having a 1tb box to a 320gb box so I can't imagine the original poster would either. I record that much my TV in the living room has 2 youview boxes plugged into it. Lastly I don't think the dtr t 4000 is loud. I have slept not far from one for over 2 years and don't get woken up by it and mine is set to always ready.
  • iansawtelliansawtell Posts: 3Member
    Thanks all. Took daniels advise and I got a new one from cex (mint condition) for £68 which seemed very reasonable. Hopefully all the film's I've lost on my old box will be back on tv again soon!
  • John LJohn L Posts: 157Member
    Hi Daniel, that's very useful info about CEX listing all their Youview boxes. I often purchase in their stores, looks good value + delivery is free for anything over £50 spent. John L