TalkTalk drop charges for Multi-room but add charges for TV subscribers

jimbjimb Posts: 1,059Member ✭✭
edited 4:23PM in News
Just received an email from TalkTalk saying:

"Enjoy TV in a second room, on us.
Our Multi-room service was £4 a month, but we’re removing this charge from next month.
Just pay for an extra TV Box – click here to register your interest."

:)  :) :)

Comments

• scottscott Posts: 1,877Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 January 2019, 3:00PM
    £25 installation charge?

https://www.talktalk.co.uk/shop/multiroom

what we need is a wireless solution with no need for an engineer visit :)
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,661Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 January 2019, 9:54PM
    So this is a TalkTalk YouView zapper box, presumably made by Huawei, for £25? Or £50 if you can’t persuade them you can install it yourself.

Free PLAs if needed, or are these extra?

Then you get the backward EPG, plus Pause and Rewind, over what the average Smart TV** can do?

And if you have Boosts, another place you can watch Boosts? Except for some Boosts, and trying to watch the same Boost on both boxes?

** So more valuable if the TV you want to use with it isn’t Smart, or isn’t all-the-Players smart. And a tad less so if it’s a Freeview Play set with a backward EPG anyway.

I’m trying to figure out the value proposition. Have I missed anything?
    “Where’s ‘Hop to Time’ then? And all that other OldGen good stuff we were promised back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ and so on?” (Excerpt from ‘One Billboard Outside YouView Towers’, not coming soon to a box near you)
  • jimbjimb Posts: 1,059Member ✭✭
    @Roy it's all about accessing the boosts in more than one room.
    It's not like you to be so cynical.  :p
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Posts: 88Member
    edited 7 January 2019, 7:04PM
    What is not mentioned here is that all TV customers will be charged £4 to access the TV offerings of TalkTalk going forward. 

That is the Boosts and the TV / Film rental / purchasing store.
    Those previously on the MultiRoom offering will basically get it free going forward.
    There is also a sweetener (but for how long) of the first rental per month, up to £5, being free providing you claim your "voucher".

If you don't use Boosts or Rentals, then you can request TV is removed from your account and the £4 charged is not therefore payable, and you become a Broadband customer only. There is some confusion as to whether you can keep the box depending on who you get, but the general view is the box is yours to keep. 

As for MultiRoom, there is, as has been pointed out, a catch of having to purchase a non-recording box and paying for installation. This allows for boosts and rentals to be viewed on another box.

There are many people (me included) who have more than one box who are effectively penalised for having the box already and can't have the option without it being "set up" and paying for it. 

If you want to get the TV option and charge taken off, I suggest you use the TalkTalk Community Forum rather than phone up as there they say you can keep the box.
  • fre55diefre55die Posts: 153Member
    What Steve didn't mention is that tucked away at the bottom is " Multi-room: To be eligible for our multi-room service you must have, or take, our TalkTalk TV service and have fibre with more than 20mb speeds. Maximum of one TV Plus Box per household. If you already have a TV Plus Box you may only add a TV Box. An engineer installation is mandatory, there is no self-install option. Once added, you’ll get the multi-room Boost until you opt-out (we need 48 hours’ notice) or contract ends".

I believe that it's called daylight robbery and EXTORTION personally !!!!
  • fre55diefre55die Posts: 153Member
    Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to NOW we go.!!
    edited 7 January 2019, 10:12PM
    jimb said:
    @Roy it's all about accessing the boosts in more than one room.
    It's not like you to be so cynical.  :p
    Cynic, n: a blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Ambrose Bierce.

But I thought the take-up of Boosts on TalkTalk was very low?

However, I remain confused, and now more than ever by this £4/month charge for TalkTalk TV. What did it cost before? Surely TalkTalk didn’t just give you a box for free?

And yes, you do get free PLAs with Multi-room, which has got to be worth the £25 engineer installation fee on its own; I just paid £49 for a pair; though the far end is also a WiFi extender, but that only added £10.

And finally, what was TalkTalk Multi-room accused of?

“Where’s ‘Hop to Time’ then? And all that other OldGen good stuff we were promised back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ and so on?” (Excerpt from ‘One Billboard Outside YouView Towers’, not coming soon to a box near you)
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,132Member ✭✭✭
    edited 8 January 2019, 6:56AM
    What is not mentioned here is that all TV customers will be charged £4 to access the TV offerings of TalkTalk going forward. 

So going forward, all registered TalkTalk TV customers, whether they subscribe to TV Boosts or not, will be charged £4 a month going forward? Do I have that correct?
    edited 8 January 2019, 8:16AM
    As is often the case, things that people are arguing about can be resolved by reading the small print in the T&Cs :-
    ===
    7 EQUIPMENT PROVIDED BY US
    7.1 To receive a service you may need to use certain necessary equipment provided by us and this may include a router or a set top box.
    7.2 All such necessary equipment will be owned by us apart from the following equipment which you will own:
    (a) any router and/or set top box that we send you as part of a new service with us; and
    (b) any equipment that you have paid for.
    If we choose to replace your router or set top box outside of any warranty period (which is usually 12 months) without charging you for it, we’ll own such replacement equipment, unless we agree otherwise.
    ===

So TalkTalk customers own their router and set top box, and so don’t need to send them back, if they got them as part of a new service with TalkTalk.

But not if they had any such replaced outside the warranty period (a rather skimpy 12 months) and the customer did not arrange continued ownership of the replacement equipment.

Now there’s a sting in the tale....
    edited 8 January 2019, 9:26AM
    Visionman said:

So going forward, all registered TalkTalk TV customers, whether they subscribe to TV Boosts or not, will be charged £4 a month going forward? Do I have that correct?
    Yes but you can opt out, and I've seen some of them saying the box will act as a Freeview box. Oh dear. It will still have YouView retail capability.
    edited 8 January 2019, 11:21AM
    Yes but you can opt out, and I've seen some of them saying the box will act as a Freeview box. Oh dear. It will still have YouView retail capability.

Have you asked, or put the question to, the TT Community manager? Because up to now nobody can get a straight answer out of him. I don't think he knows (which isn't his fault).
    edited 16 January 2019, 10:25PM
    Visionman said:

Have you asked, or put the question to, the TT Community manager? Because up to now nobody can get a straight answer out of him. I don't think he knows (which isn't his fault).
    He could always read his own T&Cs (see above).

But I see that TalkTalk support staff have started to do the FUD thing that BT used to do, trying to pretend that the YouView box is pretty useless without the TalkTalk service, and perhaps you ought to send it back, as it’s not yours; which, as with BT, is largely given the lie to by their own T&Cs.

Except, startlingly, with warranty replacements (+EDIT:) for the box, and any PLAs TalkTalk users might have been supplied with as necessary to get the internet connection from router to box.
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,771Member ✭✭✭
    First of all what a positive spin this topic title gives, you should work for TalkTalk!   :smile:

As a TalkTalk TV customer who currently does not subscribe to any TV Boosts I have been following the discussion on their community with some bemusement. The facts are slowly beginning to emerge.

Two important things I have gleaned so far. You can cancel your TV service if you wish and not be liable for the fee. And no, you do not have to send your box back. 

Finally @Roy yes, the TalkTalk TV service was "free" (included with your package more accurately) with a £50 payment for a recording box (often reduced during special offers), or zero for the lite version. You had to commit to one month's TV Boost as a minimum.
    Visionman said:

I thought he'd been doing a good job so far!
    edited 15 January 2019, 4:31PM
    This is still rumbling on.... I've lost count of the number of threads that have been started.
  • Visionman said:
    This still rumbling on.... I've lost count of the number of threads that have been started.
    It's amazing that people are still being fed a pack of horse manure by the helplines. 

We CS's are leaving this topic to the OCE's to handle!

PS, yes I recognise you from all 3 forums we are on together!
    What I don't understand is who trained and gave the CSAs this false information? Because they are all saying the same things consistently wrongly. But for those that don't know - all users that have rang to cancel the new £4 TV charge and being informed things like - you'll lose all your Freeview channels, all the Players will stop working and you'll lose your trickplay facilities such as recording. None of which are true and all the above will continue.

The second thing I don't understand is after all these years in operation, users are being suddenly told they have TV attached to their account, even though they have never used, or ever will, TT TV and the onus is on them to cancel. Thats bad. Really bad.

The situation becomes even dimmer when one considers the vast majority of both TT & BT customers don't take TV. And then theres the knock-on effect on customer services - a vast upsurge in incoming calls, all complaints, which are the most difficult to deal with which results in increased call handling times, which further results in increased call waiting times. Its poor all round really and yet another PR disaster to add to TTs long list.
    edited 15 January 2019, 5:11PM
    It's really weird isn't it? Once I had established the facts (I think!) I got in touch with customer services and they cancelled the fee, no big deal as I don't use any of the TV Boosts anyway. And while I appreciate there is always confusion about a change, the tone and attitude of many posters suggests that TalkTalk are really held in low esteem. The sheer unpleasantness of many posters is quite depressing, it puts our occasional spats here to shame. The levels of tolerance on their community for what posters say does seem to be higher than elsewhere though, I can't imagine half those comments surviving if they were on BT. Or here for that matter.
  • I was on an old legacy contract years ago and bought my own youview box.

When I phoned up to query something, I was informed if I renewed my contract I would get a free box and the free sky channels as part of my broadband deal.

I think that for a period of time everyone who signed up for broadband got a free box and access to the channels, so they unwittingly became TV customers.

It's only in the last few years they tried moving people away from this and I know when renewed off this contract they offered me the entertainment boost, free calls and it cost the same, so appeared a no brainer to renew.

Once those deals finished people removed the boosts but their contract still showed them as TV customers, which is where the confusion has come from.
    I was on an old TV contract years ago also, Essentials TV it was called as I recall. But I have subsequently moved on and, credit where it's due, TalkTalk have been very competitive in revamping their packages including guaranteed Fixed Price broadband. I have renewed on these more than once and, frankly, I am happy with both the price I pay and the service I get.

Then along comes this £4 fee. What? Hence the confusion/uproar. And I think where TalkTalk have misjudged this is two-fold.

First, with ongoing TV customers for whom this represents a real price increase. The fact that it may still compare favourably with other providers is neither here, nor there for the moment. It will settle down of course when it becomes recognised as part of the overall TV cost.

Second, for the more passive TV customers who are at best bemused, as I was, or at worst annoyed as to why you have to opt out of a new fee. But opt out you can with no repercussions, despite the signals coming from some customer service advisors. The only excuse for that is that they have not been briefed properly. And whether that is wilful, or otherwise, who can really say.
  • scottscott Posts: 1,877Member ✭✭✭
    edited 16 January 2019, 7:09AM
    It will be interesting going forward where TalkTalk go. How can the £4 compare favourably when you are actually getting nothing (except multiroom if you want that and the initial costs that go with it). BT charge £6 for their basic package but you get 4 sports channels and the AMC channel as content (obviously some people won’t want them but that is where your personal choice comes from) TalkTalk have no content to give away.
    Also they are telling customers they are in discussion with Amazon about getting the prime app which suggests each will need a separate agreement to allow the app on their box (what that actually means for both TalkTalk and Retail getting the prime app remains to be seen as we are not seeing any movement on that despite it being on BT for a few months) and further what that means for NowTV as again BT have offered some content to sky for it to allow it them to have it (will that include Retail getting it, obviously TalkTalk already have the sky boosts but are they priced well compared to the  NowTV app).
    Interesting times ahead.
    TalkTalks current situation isn't currently comparable with anyone elses, as its purely about charging customers £4 for a service they don't use and weren't even aware they had.
  • What will be interesting is the next round of funding. I think it was in 2014 that partners all agreed to continue funding YouView for at least the next 5 years. You do the Math.

Is the £4 charge to drive people from using the Boosts? I have speculated before that with moving customers to O2 Mobile that TalkTalk may be wishing to go back to basics and become a Broadband and Phone company again. TV would then not fit in the way it does now and it could then be seen, that with fewer actual customers in this regard a reason to divest themselves of, or reduce this particular funding.
    Visionman said:
    TalkTalks current situation isn't currently comparable with anyone elses, as its purely about charging customers £4 for a service they don't use and weren't even aware they had.
    What?
    TalkTalk could have handled this so much better. If they had made it an opt in, rather than opt out for one thing. Or are they really so cynical as to hope that inertia pulls in a few extra quid here and there, regardless of the reputational damage?

But there are positives in this too. First, multiroom is now effectively free, save for setup charges. And somewhat buried in all this is a free £5 monthly rental voucher for the TalkTalk TV store.

My own view is still emerging, but it may be that TalkTalk are trying to harden whatever it is that is their TV base. Everybody with a box? Surely not. This way they can more accurately target sales, marketing and perhaps with the help of YouView even advertising and other metrics at a more active, rather than passive TV base. Just a thought.
  • jimbjimb Posts: 1,059Member ✭✭
    edited 16 January 2019, 8:11PM
    Just unsubscribed from the TV service using TalkTalk's chat.
    Here's part of the conversation:

Thank you for waiting. The account doesn't have an active TV subscriptions, however, line is active. May I know why you want to remove the TV service?
    Because you are about to start charging £4 a month for it.
    We’ve invested lots in our TV service over the last few years, with the introduction of Multi-room and even more great content. As a result, we’re having to introduce a small charge of £4 per month which is the equivalent of 13 pence a day.
    We’re also going to give you a £5 voucher to redeem on a film. If you are on one of our Fixed Price Plans we guarantee your broadband price plan will stay the same. However, the TV service is not included within this Fixed Price Plan. Would you like to keep the TV service? Or alternatively I can remove this service for you today.
    With the charge, you’ll continue to receive access to over 80 channels, to On Demand players and the ability to add and remove extra channels when you want to. To add to this, you’ll get a £5 voucher to redeem on your choice of film or TV show. Plus, for a one-off cost of the box and installation, you can access Multi-room.
    Please remove it.
    I understand. The account doesn't have an active TV subscriptions, however, line is active. In this case, let me request for the TV charge of £4 to be removed on your package. Would that be fine?
    Yes.
    Thank you for waiting. As you requested, I have already processed removing the TV fee on your account. Rest assured that this will not be added on your bill moving forward. You will continue to be able to use the TV box and watch freeview television.

So no misleading statements.  :)
    @jimb

So that is 80 channels you have just chosen to cut yourself off from, then?
    Roy said:
    @jimb

So that is 80 channels you have just chosen to cut yourself off from, then?
    Read it again.
  • John29John29 Posts: 36Member
    edited 16 January 2019, 10:05PM
    Talktalk this month introduced a £4 a month charge for customers who had previously taken a free YouView box as part of a TV package wether they subscribe to ANY TV services or not.

They are calling it a "TV Access Fee".
    It's ok though, you can opt out and keep everything exactly as it is.

WTH?!?

Have a look at the TV section of their forum.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/TalkTalk-TV/bd-p/116

Page informing customers of the charge.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/TalkTalk-TV-pricing-is-changing/ta-p/2279095

Their excuse is customers are paying for the ABILITY to order boosts on a 1 month contract.
    Then shouldn't they inform customers with boosts that prices are going up by £4 and advise customers who don't have boosts that if they take 1 it comes with a £4 a month charge.

How they can get away with this is beyond me.

edit: Forgot to add, they don't tell customers they can opt out of the £4 charge.