TalkTalk drop charges for Multi-room but add charges for TV subscribers

Comments

• John29John29 Posts: 39Member
    redchiz said:
    @John29 Your topic title was inaccurate, this one isn't.
    In what way was it inaccurate.

The thread remains with that (accurate) title so if this was some attempt to cover this shambles up it failed.
  • LouiseLouise Posts: 35Administrator admin
    John29 said:
    redchiz said:
    @John29 Your topic title was inaccurate, this one isn't.
    In what way was it inaccurate.

The thread remains with that (accurate) title so if this was some attempt to cover this shambles up it failed.
    I apologise if it seemed that way, and assure you there was no attempt to cover anything up.

This thread had the more established discussion, and while the thread title does not relate entirely to the direction it has taken, I do not believe it is off-topic enough to warrant closing or renaming.

As you have noticed, your thread's title remains on the front page and is clearly labelled, it will just link back to this thread where there is more discussion of the topic here.

Louise.

• jimbjimb Posts: 1,079Member ✭✭
    I have changed the title of this thread!!!!
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,188Member ✭✭✭
    edited 17 January 2019, 4:17PM
    Roy>
    "Someone on the TalkTalk forum was suggesting TalkTalk can’t tell if you actually have a YouView box or not since all updates come from YouView servers, but I think that is nonsense, as all the traffic flows through TalkTalk’s internet servers."

Indeed it is, as YouView don't have any servers, per se. And what they do have aren't used by ISPs as the ISPs act independently. This is nothing to do with YouView and is purely a TalkTalk matter, as is the charge.
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,789Member ✭✭✭
    Um, TalkTalk are NOT charging customers £4 a month just for using a YouView box.

And it is a wee bit unworthy to accuse anybody here of a cover up seeing as: (a) the only reason you started your topic was because you were not prepared to read what was already out there; and (b) your topic title was and remains temporarily available for all to see, despite its inaccuracy.

Oh @jimb, what have you done now?   :D
    But seriously, that title is as inaccurate and misleading as any of TalkTalk's critics have accused them of being.
    redchiz said:
    But seriously, that title is as inaccurate and misleading as any of TalkTalk's critics have accused them of being.
    Thread title changed again - is that better?
     <3 
    jimb said:
    I have changed the title of this thread!!!!
    Well done!
    redchiz said:
    You still haven't said what is inaccurate about it?

If a customer who owns a Huawei YouView box joins Talktalk and takes a broadband package with no TV and has their price increased by £4 a month without being asked, and receives no additional services what so ever for it, how is that not charging them just for having a YouView box.

The fact they can opt out is neither here nor there.

To claim "ah, but you have the ABILITY to add boosts" is nonsense. That ability has always been there.

I also strongly suspect that those who "opt out" would be able to contact Talktalk and add boosts anytime they want.

So what is the £4 for and how is the title inaccurate.

If I may - FOR TV ACCESS
    John29 said:

To claim "ah, but you have the ABILITY to add boosts" is nonsense. That ability has always been there.

Ah, and the truth shall set you free. You have both asked and answered your own question there really. Yes the ability to add Boosts was always there. It still is. It used to cost zero. It now costs £4. Got it now?
    Visionman said:

If I may - FOR TV ACCESS
    You may not, for access to TalkTalk TV services.
    Visionman said:

If I may - FOR TV ACCESS
    If you want to be precise it's about what package you have.
    Mine was Faster Fibre - TV, Broadband & Calls.
    (Now it isn't)
    OK jimb, its your thread. But bear in mind non-TV users/subscribers are being targetted too.
    "Targetted?" Steady on. It's TalkTalk, not MI6.
    Visionman said:
    OK jimb, its your thread. But bear in mind non-TV users/subscribers are being targetted too.
    How?
  • I was staying with friends last week who have TalkTalk broadband and phone.
    They signed up last year and specifically said no TV. they have their own youview box.
    That box is not showing any boost channels, and neither have they had an email regarding the £4 charge, so something extra must be happening for new customers to be getting the mails.
    I do think this could have been handled better by TalkTalk, but the forum people seem to be handling this much better than online chat and the phone people.
    BTW, asking YouView for their comments I doubt will get any response, as this is a TalkTalk operational issue and not directly Youview related.

I couldn't agree more @Stevef_fr8ys regarding what I have seen of how the TalkTalk community team have handled this. In the face of some seriously disproportionate hostility it has to be said, just a taste of which we have had here.
    I've just been looking back through this thread.
    It follows a strange course.
    Maybe that's because so many different conversations have been going on or maybe it's because another thread has been merged with it.
    If so maybe merging threads is not necessarily a great idea.  :(
    I doubt the merger changed things much, other than that we wasted time and effort discussing that, rather than the underlying topic. Hopefully things will settle down again now and any new contributor will not be confused by the subject as expressed in the excellent, clear title.   :)
    edited 17 January 2019, 5:11PM

redchiz said:
    John29 said:

Ah, and the truth shall set you free. You have both asked and answered your own question there really. Yes the ability to add Boosts was always there. It still is. It used to cost zero. It now costs £4. Got it now?
    That's a poor argument for the customers who were provided a box by Talktalk.

What about those who weren't, who owned their box before joining and have had this fee thrown upon them.

They did not sign up to anything TV related and were always able to contact Talktalk and request TV boosts.
    To charge them this just for having hardware that they own is absurd.
    For heaven's sake, have you actually read any of the information out there? Nobody is being charged for hardware. There is now a £4 fee to access TalkTalk TV services whereas previously there was none. But you can opt out of that if you wish.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,818Member ✭✭✭
    Visionman said:
    Roy>
    "Someone on the TalkTalk forum was suggesting TalkTalk can’t tell if you actually have a YouView box or not since all updates come from YouView servers, but I think that is nonsense, as all the traffic flows through TalkTalk’s internet servers."

Indeed it is, as YouView don't have any servers, per se. And what they do have aren't used by ISPs as the ISPs act independently. This is nothing to do with YouView and is purely a TalkTalk matter, as is the charge.
    Where do the updates come from, then?

And what is supporting the operation of the YouView app?
    Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?
    edited 17 January 2019, 9:28PM
    You'll have to ask YouView for a full explanation, sorry. But you may have forgotten I don't have apps.
    edited 17 January 2019, 10:50PM
    Visionman said:
    You'll have to ask YouView for a full explanation, sorry. But you may have forgotten I don't have apps.
    I only have to ask YouView for an explanation if I think what you said was accurate, which I don’t.

These are questions that you have to answer if you wish to justify your assertions; if you can’t, then I suggest that my earlier statements should be allowed to stand, unless a well-founded contradiction is raised.

I need hardly add that whether or not you have apps, you should not be making unfounded assertions that YouView do not have servers to support the operation of those apps; and as you don’t have apps, possibly especially not.
    redchiz said:
    "Targetted?" Steady on. It's TalkTalk, not MI6.
    The use of the word ‘targetted’ (albeit with possibly only one ‘t’) in this context (of a group) is well-founded....
    "I only have to ask YouView for an explanation if I think what you said was accurate, which I don’t."
    OK Roy. Your the one who likes to know everything. But not in this case. Honestly....
    edited 18 January 2019, 8:18AM
    Visionman said:
    "I only have to ask YouView for an explanation if I think what you said was accurate, which I don’t."
    OK Roy. Your the one who likes to know everything. But not in this case. Honestly....
    Hi @Visionman

And you’re the one who likes to claim arcane secret knowledge not vouchsafed to the rest of us; as here, claims you assert, but decline to support.

I am always open to contradiction, but not by mere unsupported assertion.
    Sorry to disappoint, no arcane secret knowledge here. Stephen told me!