Apple movies and tv shows to be available to Samsung TVs

JoeJoe Posts: 1,988Member ✭✭✭
Saw this article and thought it quite a big turning point for Apple. 
https://www.cnet.com/news/ces-2019-panasonic-disney-mickey-mouse-ride-and-harley-davidson-electric-motorcycle/

If Apple are starting to copy Netflix and Amazon in making their iTunes app available on multi-platforms ( starting with Samsung) , be a great time for Youview to get in on the act. 

Also Airplay is being opened up more, another good edition to Youview? 

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 14,661Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 January 2019, 10:33PM
    2019 Samsung TVs.

Nothing that’s going to run on our 2016 Samsung ex-flagship set, or even on any TV you can buy today.

Yet people here are complaining about their 2014 YouView boxes not getting, and/or not running, the very latest apps; with not a murmur that their TVs are firmly stuck in the year they were launched?

“Where’s ‘Hop to Time’ then? And all that other OldGen good stuff we were promised back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ and so on?” (Excerpt from ‘One Billboard Outside YouView Towers’, not coming soon to a box near you)
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 751Member ✭✭✭
    Roy said:
    2019 Samsung TVs.

Nothing that’s going to run on our 2016 Samsung ex-flagship set, or even on any TV you can buy today.

Yet people here are complaining about their 2014 YouView boxes not getting, and/or not running, the very latest apps; with not a murmur that their TVs are firmly stuck in the year they were launched?

That's quite strange - My 2015 Samsung TV still gets new apps in Smart Hub as well as updates to existing apps. UKTV Play for instance appeared at the end of September.

John.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
    edited 8 January 2019, 8:28AM
    Anaglypta said:
    Roy said:
    2019 Samsung TVs.

That's quite strange - My 2015 Samsung TV still gets new apps in Smart Hub as well as updates to existing apps. UKTV Play for instance appeared at the end of September.

John.
    OK, not firmly stuck then, but the apps you get, and the versions of them you get, are still conditional on the age of the TV.

I’ve just resurrected our 2012 32in Samsung, mothballed when it was clear it was never going to get Netflix, and as I powered it up after several years in our loft, another five apps that it had back then blinked off from its Smart Hub.

But I have given it Netflix, and other apps I care about, as part of a new lease of life granted with a spare Amazon Smart Stick and an old NowTV box.
    “Where’s ‘Hop to Time’ then? And all that other OldGen good stuff we were promised back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ and so on?” (Excerpt from ‘One Billboard Outside YouView Towers’, not coming soon to a box near you)
  • JoeJoe Posts: 1,988Member ✭✭✭
    One thing’s for sure when Apple debuts its streaming service it’s going to be a major disruptor in the steaming market with its 1 billion launch budget. Netflix and Amazon have shown the way. 

• VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,132Member ✭✭✭
    edited 8 January 2019, 10:26AM
    Joe said:
    One thing’s for sure when Apple debuts its streaming service it’s going to be a major disruptor in the steaming market

Third time lucky in the UK?
    Guess it depends on their content for the streaming service. Sounds like they’ve got the budget to make a dent. 
    And HBO and Disney+ and...?  Well, you get the idea.
    Yep it’s  competitive, but a budget the size of Apples ( the company not the fruit) will likely carry weight. 
    I guess Netflix has shown how to make it work. I was never in the market for pay tv in the older traditional sense. But here I am dipping in and out of Netflix and Nowtv, and maybe even Amazon soon. Suppose the American market will decide, but if they have compelling content there’ll likely be a market world
    wide. But yes lots of competition. 
    In the past, Apple have lost sizeable amounts of money trying to gain traction in the UK, only to withdraw with their tail between their legs. Heck, one of their UK projects didn't even get off the ground. But this approach is different, in that they will be using a future app on a third party device in a smart TV. No doubt the future buyers of such will judge how good or bad it is.
    Yes the Apple Tv closed eco strategy was never going to take off. Netflix has shown the way to do it.  I use some Apple products, but could never find a justifiable reason to buy an Apple tv. 
    Still no All4?

Apple still don’t grok the UK market  :/
  • BizBiz Posts: 27Member

Joe said:
    One thing’s for sure when Apple debuts its streaming service it’s going to be a major disruptor in the steaming market with its 1 billion launch budget. Netflix and Amazon have shown the way.
    Surely the way Apple censor - sorry 'make family friendly' - the kind of material available through their apps is also going to apply to any material they decide to stream? No drugs, violence, rude words or showing naughty bits (just for starters) means they'll probably end up being the quivalent of The Hallmark Channel, only more expensive.

Otherwise they might end up being accused of having double standards and that would never do.
  • scottscott Posts: 1,877Member ✭✭✭
    edited 8 January 2019, 7:05PM
    Roy said:
    Still no All4?

Apple still don’t grok the UK market  :/
    @Roy - All4 is on the Apple TV, has been since 2 weeks before Christmas 

Cheers, @scott

I take it that’s a screenshot from an Apple TV you own?

This is not anything you would learn from their advertising, though; maybe it’s not hiding your light under a bushel that Apple don’t grok  :(

edited 9 January 2019, 6:59AM
    @Roy it is indeed. They don’t advertise very well but if you search for the All4 app on the App Store it tells you there is an Apple TV version

it isn’t yet integrated into the universal search so they tend to lessen the advertising on those apps but hoping this will come in the future. I have tried to steer away from Apple kit but slowly bought into their ecosystem as they normally do things very well. I have found the Apple TV although expensive initially has the highest quality and range of content (and unusually the best prices for 4K movies) for the apps I use (you can see from my screenshot the ones I use).

Hi again Scott

I have a few Apple TV boxes around - the slimmer, earlier ones - but our usage dwindled to just NowTV, and then to nothing, with NowTV native on both our main TVs, and a stick and a couple of their boxes, and us not casting anything from our iDevices any more.

I must get one out and see if it has gained any of these Apps, or whether it is just the fat expensive ones that have them.
    That’s the thing. With most of these apps available on tvs, PVRs, blu-Ray players, and cheap dongles, it becomes really difficult to justify an expensive extra like the Apple TV. Apps are everywhere now 
    Sadly my new LG Oled doesnt have Disney life or bttv apps and has an issue pushing Dolby Atmos through arc therefore it became an easy decision to get an Apple TV especially with the price and availability (and quality) of its 4K movies (especially the Christmas countdown prices and 15% off iTunes cards).
    Ah yes there’s the market for it - Good selection of 4K content. So Disney life is out in the wild? 
    edited 9 January 2019, 11:12AM
    Disney life has been around in the UK for a while (it’s for my son honest :)). This isn’t the new Disney+ streaming service due for release in US later this year (and possibly us soon after)
    Ah right cheers Scott. Everyone seems to be jumping on the  Netflix bandwagon now. I guess they’ve had it easy so far in terms of competition. 
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,770Member ✭✭✭
    An interesting development to be sure, good to see Apple and Samsung playing nice for a change!

As @Roy avers though, how long will the app remain supported before you have to buy a new TV? The way smart TVs quickly become dumb after a few years is alarming.
  • DarrenDarren Posts: 264Member ✭✭
    edited 9 January 2019, 5:31PM
    The Apple TV app just like the Now TV app will also not be available on both my Samsung full HD smart TVs then as they are 2013 & 2014 models.

Darren
  • DanielDaniel Posts: 1,937Member ✭✭✭
    Won't be available on my 2018 Samsung 4k TV either but I can't decide if it's a blessing in disguise. Think I will stick with the companies I purchase from now. 
    Daniel said:
    Won't be available on my 2018 Samsung 4k TV either but I can't decide if it's a blessing in disguise. Think I will stick with the companies I purchase from now. 
    I am sure I read somewhere that 2018 models would be updated to include it, but can't remember where.
    redchiz said:
    Daniel said:
    I am sure I read somewhere that 2018 models would be updated to include it, but can't remember where.
    The absurdly complicated Google search term ‘AppleTV on 2018 Samsungs’ will lead to several items that indeed bear out what you thought you read  :p
    Cheers @Roy, but that might have been better aimed at Daniel rather than me, seeing as he is the one with a model in question and I am not.   ;)