COM7 and COM8 HD channels

avant_guvnoravant_guvnor Posts: 5Member
edited 9 January 2019, 9:03PM in Support
After losing the COM7 and COM8 HD channels due to the 700MHz clearance, I purchased 2 different indoor aerials from Amazon UK, in attempt to obtain the channels.
After a retune of my YouView box, a DTR-T2110, with either aerial, the COM7 and COM8 HD channels appear in the Guide.
However, after selecting the BBC News HD channel in the Guide and go to Settings\TV Signal Quality, I get a healthy Signal Strength of 80-95%, but often the Signal Quality is 0% and the picture drops out.
Please can someone advise as to why I might get Signal Quality of 0%, even though the Signal Strength is high (Note, I am 5km from the Crystal Palace transmitter)?

Comments

• Tim CTim C Posts: 403Member ✭✭
    edited 9 January 2019, 9:22PM
    It may well be that your signal strength is way too much for the Youview box as you're that close to the transmitter. The tuners on these units are sensitive to being overloaded and it may be that you need an attenuator to reduce the signal strength & let the tuners work properly. I know that seems rather odd but this problem is not unheard of.
    An adjustable attenuator would probably best so you can adjust the amount of attenuation so get you the best result.
    Amazon shows quite a few when you search for "adjustacle attenuator" , just make sure it's for a TV signal, go for about a 20dB one.
    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ and all that other OldGen good stuff that was promised to come back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ etc etc.., rather than the unnecessary & unasked for that does get added and serves no useful purpose? Give me optional lists as well :) ."
  • avant_guvnoravant_guvnor Posts: 5Member
    edited 9 January 2019, 9:26PM
    Tim C said:
    It may well be that your signal strength is way too much for the Youview box as you're that close to the transmitter. The tuners on these units are sensitive to being overloaded and it may be that you need an attenuator to reduce the signal strength & let the tuners work properly. I know that seems rather odd but this problem is not unheard of.
    An adjustable attenuator would probably best so you can adjust the amount of attenuation so get you the best result.
    Amazon shows quite a few when you search for "adjustacle attenuator" , just make sure it's for a TV signal, go for about a 20dB one.
    Well, with my original outdoor aerial, I get all channels except COM7 and COM8 and for all channels in Settings\TV Signal Quality, I get Signal Strength 100%, Signal Quality 100%, with no problems at all.
  • John LJohn L Posts: 179Member
    Hi avant_guvnor, welcome to the Youview forum. I sometimes get the same problem with BBC News HD 107 since the com7/8 channel problem. This doesn't happen all the time. I did check a while back when it 1st happened & on my older Panasonic Freeview pvr signal was approx. 90/95% while the Youview pvr was reporting the problem. The tv tuner was nearly 100%. The aerial & booster amp all works correctly for everything else. So I would think that the Youview tuner, although depending on model is very sensitive & reports the message if fluctuation errors in bitrates etc. Might be worth checking with your postcode & the status of signal: http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/
    If you haven't used a booster, maybe worth a try? The only other thing is the aerial. How many elements does it have? I think eventually the BBC are going to move the channels around again, so problem may go away. Not sure when though(!) Hope you are able to solve problem. I'm sure other forum members will be able to help with ideas/advise if still a problem. John L
    Just to add, I'm also near to Crystal Palace transmitter, so it will be same problem. Booster may not work therefore, but if you have one spare to try out worth a try. You never know! John L
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,197Member ✭✭✭
    Aerials are a black art, but the move of COM7 and COM8 has taken them outside the range of the aerial group that used to work perfectly well all over London.

If you get an aerial installer to switch your outside aerial for the wideband aerial that is now recommended for London, you should be OK now, and futureproofed going forward.
    Where do all those characters that you type in search boxes and which never appear go to?
  • Paul FoxPaul Fox Posts: 29Member
    Roy said:
    Aerials are a black art, but the move of COM7 and COM8 has taken them outside the range of the aerial group that used to work perfectly well all over London.

If you get an aerial installer to switch your outside aerial for the wideband aerial that is now recommended for London, you should be OK now, and futureproofed going forward.
    Yep, happened to me. Needed a new aerial to get back the channels.
  • Tim CTim C Posts: 403Member ✭✭
    I seem to recall that if you need a new aerial because of changes like this you can contact , I think , UK Digital on 03456 505050.
    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ and all that other OldGen good stuff that was promised to come back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ etc etc.., rather than the unnecessary & unasked for that does get added and serves no useful purpose? Give me optional lists as well :) ."
    Tim C said:
    I seem to recall that if you need a new aerial because of changes like this you can contact , I think , UK Digital on 03456 505050.
    Indeed so - here’s a link to the Freeview page where this is mentioned, which has a contact phone number.

‘Changes are being made to the way some channels are broadcast on Freeview. You may need to retune your TV equipment to continue watching programmes when these take place in your area. If you need help with this or retuning doesn’t restore your channels, see below or call the Freeview Advice Line free on 0808 100 0288. You may be eligible for free in-home support, including aerial work if needed’

And the rules on who qualifies for the latter don’t seem too Draconian:-

‘If retuning does not restore your services, we may be able to send a qualified installer to your home. This service is available when:
    - Your house has its own aerial and you don’t have access to satellite or cable TV
    - The problems can be attributed to the frequency changes, and;
    - TV services cannot be restored by following our advice over the phone.
    Our installers will investigate the cause of any reception problems and undertake necessary work, including installing a replacement rooftop aerial where required (includes loft and external wall-mounted aerials).’
    Where do all those characters that you type in search boxes and which never appear go to?
  • zulu17zulu17 Posts: 936Member ✭✭
    There is also a rule ( 10  i think)  which  says :
    Where viewers are eligible, in-home support is available for up to three months after a retune date. If you call us after three months we may not be able to offer an in-home appointment

zulu17 said:
    There is also a rule ( 10  i think)  which  says :
    Where viewers are eligible, in-home support is available for up to three months after a retune date. If you call us after three months we may not be able to offer an in-home appointment

Indeed so. Absent a leaflet through my door, I’d be leaning heavily on that ‘may’.
    Thank's Roy for extra advice, appreciated. One day, I will upgrade my loft aerial again (!). I installed it myself & it's worked perfectly for many years, until the BBC decided to move things around (!) Still works except a few blips on Youview on BBC news HD, which is to do with the COM7/8 problem. Only happens occasionally. The BBC must reduce transmitter power at certain times of day? until the BBC decided to move things around. Hopefully it will be a simple swap of my 32 element high gain over to a wide range model to insure aerial picks up the end range of channels. All good fun. John L