Huawei

jimbjimb Posts: 1,110Member ✭✭✭
Poland calls for 'joint' EU-Nato stance on Huawei after spying arrest

I have a TalkTalk Huawei router.
Should I be concerned about my security?

Comments

• redchizredchiz Posts: 4,889Member ✭✭✭
    Absolutely. It listens to everything you say and understands it perfectly. Unlike Alexa.   ;)
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Posts: 155Member ✭✭
    jimb said:

Only if you have something to hide.

Seriously, probably not. 
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,199Member ✭✭✭
    jimb said:

Seriously, probably not. 
    How much a year do you earn, @Stevef_fr8ys?
    Now away for a bit....
    Roy said:
    jimb said:

Seriously, probably not. 
    What's that got to do with anything?
  • Paul1959Paul1959 Posts: 11Member
    Yes, fit window locks.  Ensure all external doors have multi point locking.  Oh, and never leave your Web cam on as will share pictures with your router.  They are evil. 
  • jimbjimb Posts: 1,110Member ✭✭✭
    I have a webcam and Alexa. 
    I'm starting to get really worried, perhaps I should buy a (non-Chinese) router? 
    Non-Chinese, or not made in China? With the latter your opportunities may be very limited, but obviously it is only Huawei who are in cahoots with the Chinese state, every other company is an independent enterprise. Oh, wait ....   :D

If you do an internet search, there are varying opinions on the security risk posed.
    If you really are that concerned that you are being spied upon, or that the Chinese government are going to somehow bring your internet crashing down, then it's for you to make an informed decision based on information that is "out there".
    You mention a router, do you have a TalkTalk box? Worried about that spying on your viewing habits?
    A mobile phone? 
    Where does the concern end?
    My concerns with being spied upon start much closer to home than China. But hey, we always need a baddy, don't we?
    Roy said:
    jimb said:

Seriously, probably not. 
    Think why you are being defensive about answering the question, and why it seems rather impertinent for me to even ask it.

You don’t have to have ‘something to hide’ as the tired old internet meme has it, for there to be information that you don’t want to share with all and sundry. And nor should you have to; you have a right to privacy, after all. Which means that anything that could compromise your security is a matter of concern, no matter how blameless and above board your life may be.
    Now away for a bit....
    Roy said:
    Roy said:
    jimb said:

Seriously, probably not. 
    Think why you are being defensive about answering the question, and why it seems rather impertinent for me to even ask it.

You don’t have to have ‘something to hide’ as the tired old internet meme has it, for there to be information that you don’t want to share with all and sundry. And nor should you have to; you have a right to privacy, after all. Which means that anything that could compromise your security is a matter of concern, no matter how blameless and above board your life may be.
    I wasn't going to respond to this but after further consideration thought a reply is warranted.

If you mean that I am a moderator on the TalkTalk forum, I have made no secret of the fact. My trailing name gives it away to those that are members of both. I am in no way paid by them and I am no apologist for them. I disagree with some of their decisions especially the £4 tv charge and will be moving to Now in the near future, but that is beside the point.

I qualified my reasoning in a later post, but you seem to just ignore this.

I've noticed that you have been antagonistic to some of my other posts referring people to the TalkTalk forum where they will get a better response than here and get replacement equipment, so maybe it is you that has a problem.

I just like to help people where possible.

Let's just agree to disagree.

Hey @Stevef_fr8ys I think you are misunderstanding @Roy. He may be a pompous know-it-all with opinions to match, but in my opinion he most certainly is not singling you out for anything. He is just making an observation in his usual manner. And rubbing you up the wrong way by doing so. 
  • scottscott Posts: 1,990Member ✭✭✭
    edited 13 January 2019, 10:17PM
    @Stevef_fr8ys You seem to be taking too much offence. Roy was simply saying everybody has something they would rather not be in the public domain (he used the example about how much people earn) so it doesn’t have to be that people might have something to hide but more that fact everybody has something they would rather was not public knowledge. Roy has a way of putting things in a bit of a condescending manner, you have to let it wash over you as he is actually very helpful.
    Never mind all this what about my router? 
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,461Member ✭✭✭
    Did you know Huawie's UK headquarters were recently raided? By, get this, Britains Intelligence services? Everyone now scrambles for search engine of choice.
    Hi Stevef_fr8ys,

You may recognise me from your forum.
    Roys OK and is one of the most helpful community members on here. Though if you don't know him, his posts can just come across as being a bit funny. 
    I'll leave it there. No more comments on this please.

@jimb I doubt you will get any reassurances here. If you do an internet search, as I mentioned, you will see the "experts" can't agree.
    I'll leave it there. No more comments on this please.

@jimb I doubt you will get any reassurances here. If you do an internet search, as I mentioned, you will see the "experts" can't agree.
    One more set of comments, anyway.

@redchiz and @scott have got me in one  :p or at least from long experience.

I had no idea you were a TalkTalk moderator, @Stevef_fr8ys, and nor am I familiar with the trailing name convention that might have given me a clue if I had known about it.

And I’m puzzled by you thinking I am antagonistic to you, or anyone, sending TalkTalk users over to the TalkTalk forum; have you got a link to a posting where I have done that, and you can’t see any other possible explanation for it?

But apropos of the ‘something to hide’ meme, did you perhaps think I was referring to your moderatorship, or suggesting you were paid by TalkTalk? Let me assure you it was neither, as I had no knowledge of you being a Moderator there, and nor would I care where or how your efforts in that direction were rewarded or not.

Besides this Community, I inhabit some UseNet forums where debate is rather more, er, robust than here; and the ‘nothing to hide’ meme comes up rather a lot. I usually ask the question I asked you; responses vary  :p but usually the penny drops sooner or later, and people realise the point I am making, which is that you don’t have to have guilty secrets to have information you would rather keep private, and ‘something to hide’ ranges across both.

Nothing sinister here....
    Now away for a bit....
    Visionman said:
    Hi Stevef_fr8ys,

You may recognise me from your forum.
    Roys OK and is one of the most helpful community members on here. Though if you don't know him, his posts can just come across as being a bit funny. 
    Aiming for funny ha-ha, you can sometimes hit funny peculiar  :p
    Now away for a bit....
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 775Member ✭✭✭
    edited 14 January 2019, 12:58PM
    There's rather a lot of Huawei kit installed in the UK's internet infrastructure. Most of the Openreach fibre cabinets are populated with it. My worry would be that a Chinese state led attack could bring it all tumbling down - but then again so could a 14 year old kid working from their bedroom :D

John.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
    John's point is more germane, it is at network and deep infrastructure level that the concerns are generally expressed. Not domestic equipment. Although Samsung TVs were once reported to spy on you I believe. By whom and for what purpose was never clear.
    Don’t forget that YouView are seriously considering tracking your childrens’ happy laughter from room to room (somehow without obtaining their informed consent as required by GDPR) so they can serve them more closely targeted episodes of Peppa Pig, possibly with more closely targeted adverts embedded in those episodes.

And I am not joking here - I only wish I was  :'(
    Now away for a bit....
  • John29John29 Posts: 40Member
    edited 15 January 2019, 2:20AM
    jimb said:
    Long post...

If you or anyone else has an issue using Huawei equipment to use the internet then I suggest they don't use any ISP that uses the OpenReach network.

The fact your router is a Huawei is a very small link in the chain.

The vast majority of their FTTC/VDSL2 DSLAM's (fibre street cabinets) are Huawei.
    Specifically the Huawei MA5616T and the MA5603T.

The other vendor of FTTC DSLAM's for OpenReach was ECI Telecoms of Israel.
    The kit is inferior to the Huawei, to the extent that OpenReach stopped deploying them over 2 years ago.
    They now exclusively deploy Huawei FTTC cabinets.

Their next iteration of hybrid fibre/copper is G.Fast.
    They have chosen Huawei and Nokia to provide these DSLAM's which get bolted on to the side of the local green PCP.

The BT exchange Head-End equipment where all the OpenReach FTTP, FTTC and G.Fast equipment terminates is almost all Huawei.
    This includes OLT's and L2S's.

The same applies here as the FTTC cabinets.
    ECI also used to supply this exchange equipment but it is again inferior to the Huawei equipment and is no longer being deployed.
    Unlike the ECI FTTC cabinets, some of the ECI exchange equipment is being replaced by the Huawei kit as it can't be suitably upgraded.

I was stuck on an ECI FTTC cabinet and got around 30Mb/s
    When the ECI cabinet was full and as they can't have any capacity upgrades a 2nd cabinet was installed. This 2nd cabinet was a Huawei.
    I had my line moved from the ECI to the Huawei and now get a happy 45Mb/s.
    This is due to the failure of ECI/OpenReach getting Retransmission (G.INP) working on the ECI cabinets.

The only reason the Huawei YouView boxes are inferior is because Talktalk got what they ordered, a budget product for a budget market.

Although EE/BT have recently made statements about not using Huawei for 5g they went on to say Huawei was still a valued partner and they would continue to use them.
    OpenReach just signed another new deal with Huawei and Nokia not long ago.

Huawei make some of the best telecoms kit out in the field at the moment.
    I'm a huge fan of them tbh.

I have also had a Huawei Mate 9 Pro for 2 years.
    No worries here boss!
    I've been meaning to come back to this to own up to the fact that my original post and some of my comments were intended to provide some light relief.
    (I do actually own a Huawei phone.)
    But there's no doubt that Huawei are having a bad time right now, and they're getting upset about it:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46963971
    jimb said:
    My Chinese isn’t all that good, but I think it’s saying that it is fine in itself, but its owner seems to be a running-dog lackey of an Imperialist persuasion, and with a distressingly marked bias towards Chinese takeaways operated by Taiwanese families.

Can this really be the case?  :p
    Now away for a bit....
    Roy said:
    jimb said:
    My Chinese isn’t all that good, but I think it’s saying that it is fine in itself, but its owner seems to be a running-dog lackey of an Imperialist persuasion, and with a distressingly marked bias towards Chinese takeaways operated by Taiwanese families.

Can this really be the case?  :p

That's more like it Roy  :D :D :D
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 775Member ✭✭✭
    edited 25 January 2019, 11:51AM
    Here's "Worwy's" current take on this.

John.

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
    Christ thats harsh saying theres no proof, only concerns. I know they had their servers seized by British Intelligence. But I didn't know it was GCHQ that ran the fine toothcomb over them, and found nothing. As posted above, a lot of Openreach's core infrastructure systems are Huawei. 
    Vodafone puts Huawei rollout in core networks on hold:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47001348
    BT have started ripping them out! Ouch, that'll cost. And Huawei will no longer be involved in BT or EEs 5G rollout.