'Players unavailable' frequent occurrence

zzdpmjprzzdpmjpr Posts: 7Member
We have been suffering from this problem for a long time!
When we use an on demand player, after a variable amount of time, on say 75% of occasions, we get the spinning wheel, then a message saying ' something went wrong with playback/can't connect to internet'. As we exit we find all the players are missing. Sometimes they come back after one or more restarts. Sometimes it requires a reboot of the Youview box. It can take say 2 to 15 minutes to see the players again. When we do get going again we will often lose it again after a time.
I have not seen any pattern I'm afraid. Tonight it stopped on All4 after 30 seconds which is a bit unusual.
There is no problem with our internet connection which is fibre and all our other devices connect ok when youview players disappear.
The community doesn't seem to have anything on this. Does anybody have any suggestions for things to try? Thanks in advance. zzdpmjpr

Humax DTRT2100, upt to date 3.5.132/31.69.0

Comments

• SarahSarah Posts: 1,211Administrator admin
    Hi @zzdpmjpr

Welcome to the forum :) 

Do you receive any error messages when this happens? Does this same issue happen across all of your players and apps or just on specific ones? If there's any specific pieces of content this has happened with recently, it'd be useful to know the programme name and episode/series numbers so we can test this on our end. 

Thanks,
    Sarah
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,205Member ✭✭✭
    edited 24 January 2019, 11:50AM
    Hi @zzdpmjpr

As you say, nothing like this reported in the Community.

And I’ve not heard of anything deranged in quite this way happening to a YouView box, though deranged things do happen, and the best response to such a one-off misbehaving box is to hope it is a software corruption issue, and not a hardware problem.

So to this end, once you have answered @Sarah’s questions above and while you are waiting for YouView to investigate, I suggest a Maintenance Mode reset, as described in that link.

Start with Option 2, and if that completes OK, then do an Option 4. Both will preserve your recordings, at least, but will ensure the software on your box is completely refreshed from the mother ship.

If your problem is indeed software corruption, with no disc corruption or hardware problems, this should fix it. So let’s hope it goes no deeper.

Please let us know how you get on....
    Deploying my talents elsewhere now
  • zzdpmjprzzdpmjpr Posts: 7Member
    Sarah, Thank you for your response.

We use iPlayer almost all the time. It definitely failed on All4 last night though.

I would say it is absolutely NOT linked to content. It happens to the majority of things we view both individual programs and series. I have no sense at all it is program related.

As for messages as I said 'we get the spinning wheel, then a message saying ' something went wrong with playback or can't connect to internet' I am pretty sure no error codes except the one for no internet. The spinning wheel will last approaching a minute before the first message appears. Very occasionally after a minute or more of the spinning wheel the program will return.

Hope this helps
    John
  • SarahSarah Posts: 1,211Administrator admin
    Hi @zzdpmjpr
    Thanks for this info. 
    I would suggest what Roy mentioned above and to try a Maintenance Mode reset, option 2 as this will keep your recordings but hopefully give it the kick it needs to work again. 
    Let us know how you get on :)
    Thanks,
    Sarah
    Ok. I'll do that tomorrow and post again in a few days.
    Thanks  Sarah and Roy
    John
  • MoleMole Posts: 10Member
    I'm having this problem, I believe it's due to drop in download speed on the internet
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,205Member ✭✭✭
    Mole said:
    I'm having this problem, I believe it's due to drop in download speed on the internet
    To test this, download Ookla Speedtest to a tablet or smartphone (I was going to recommend the YouView speed test, but the coverage checker seems to be broken, not accepting several valid postcodes) and run it at times when the players are behaving, and times when they aren’t.

See if the values differ significantly.

My guess is that they won’t; and even if they do for you, and this is what is causing your issues, this will not be the universal cause for others affected.

Deploying my talents elsewhere now
    Hi. I have had a week or so to test after the reset. No real change unfortunately. One iPlayer hour long programme had four stops in the hour. So far the apps have been still available after exiting iPlayer, or after restarting (not rebooting) the youview box.

I have never noticed any significant drop off in speed. I rarely get anything less than 70Mbps. As I said other devices work normally when I have lost the youview box. I will check the speed next time though.

Just to confirm - during a loss last night I was seeing 75Mbps on a speed test.
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,297Member ✭✭✭
    edited 3 February 2019, 10:19PM
    A couple of thoughts @zzdpmjpr.
    Are you measuring your internet speed using the same connection to your router that your Youview box uses?
    Is your Youview box connected to your router directly by cable, or do you use power line adapters?
    Thank you for your contribution.
    No I was measuring the speed to the router. I don't know how to measure speed at the youview box.
    The connection is via BT powerline adapters.  I can't think of anything that might impact this connection but accept that weird stuff happens. When a problem occurs there is no visible indication on the adapters: all lights are functioning as normal but the error does say 'can't connect to the internet'. Is there any way of monitoring the connection.
    edited 5 February 2019, 7:31PM
    zzdpmjpr said:
    Is there any way of monitoring the connection.
    You could connect a laptop to the cable that your Youview box uses and check the broadband speed using Ookla.
    In my experience powerline adapters can be problematic. For testing purposes, connect your box to your router using a cable and try the players again.
    Thank you for responding.
    Attaching the laptop quickly enough after a failure might be a challenge but I will give it a go.

I will try running with a cable attachment for a while and see if that removes the problem. It might take a week or two but I will post back
    edited 8 February 2019, 6:20PM
    zzdpmjpr said:
    Attaching the laptop quickly enough after a failure might be a challenge but I will give it a go.

I will try running with a cable attachment for a while and see if that removes the problem.
    Try the cable first. If it solves the problem, you won't need to bother with the laptop.
    PLAs depend on your mains wiring in order to work correctly. They work OK in our house, except in one room. There must be an issue with our mains wiring, but I gave up on PLAs in that room and installed a cable. Or rather, I assisted somebody else to install a cable. The chap who did the job normally installs intruder alarms and he did an excellent job of hiding the cable.