Youview box setup

mokleskmoklesk Posts: 17Member
I've just purchased a BT Youview plus Freeview box with no subscription, to replace a Talktalk Youview box which I was subscribed to. Everything is connected correctly but after going through part of the initial set up it says not support and just had a blue screen. I spoke to someone from Bt who said I would need to register for BT TV for it to work - that's not what I call no subscription.
Could it be to do with the fact that the Talktalk subscription hasn't been cancelled yet?
Any help or ideas greatly appreciated.

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 15,205Member ✭✭✭
    Did you change your ISP to BT, or are you still with TalkTalk?

If the latter, do a Software Update in Settings, if you can get there, and this should allow the new box to sort itself out.
    Deploying my talents elsewhere now
  • mokleskmoklesk Posts: 17Member
    I'm still with Talktalk, but I can't get to the settings. The only thing I can do with the remote is switch the box on and off. There is a permanent blue screen.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,491Member ✭✭✭
    "Not Supported" - Whats the error code, moklesk? Also, are you saying you can't watch anything including live TV as you turn it on but only get a blue screen?
    There's no error code. That's right I can't watch anything. I managed to get to the maintenance menu via the box itself and selected software reset but still no joy.
    I'm wondering if it's something to do with the TV itself.
    moklesk said:
    There's no error code. That's right I can't watch anything. I managed to get to the maintenance menu via the box itself and selected software reset but still no joy.
    I'm wondering if it's something to do with the TV itself.
    Unplug the aerial cable from the YouView box, and connect it directly to the TV.

What do you see on the TV now?

Can you watch live TV?

If not, can you retune the TV?

Can you watch live TV now?
  • StephenStephen Posts: 684Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    The not supported blue screen feels like it might be from your TV, and the YouView box has switched to a mode it doesn't like. Is it an old or awkward TV? Connected with HDMI directly or via some kind of amp / soundbar? How far do you get through the YouView setup before you encounter the blue screen?
    You absolutely don't need to subscribe to BT for the box to work fully by the way.
    Have plugged the aerial cable into the TV  and there's no change, just a blue screen, can't watch live TV, I'll see if I can retune TV.
    Stephen mentioned about it being an "awkward TV",we'll it is - it's a Polaroid and I've had problems in the past because of that. Having said that once I'd got the Talktalk Youview box setup with it it was fine. I know there were some teething problems but can't quite remember what or how I got it sorted.
    moklesk said:
    Have plugged the aerial cable into the TV  and there's no change, just a blue screen, can't watch live TV, I'll see if I can retune TV.
    Stephen mentioned about it being an "awkward TV",we'll it is - it's a Polaroid and I've had problems in the past because of that. Having said that once I'd got the Talktalk Youview box setup with it it was fine. I know there were some teething problems but can't quite remember what or how I got it sorted.
    A blue screen like this, on a working TV, most probably means it is set to an input Source where nothing is being received. - e.g. HDMI 2 when the YouView box is on HDMI 1, and broadcast is on TV.

But certainly, since the problem persists with the YouView box completely out of the circuit, the problem is with the TV, either how it is configured, or fundamentally in the hardware.

So make sure the TV has its source set to TV, and see if you can retune it.

If not, new TV time perhaps. But if you can, hook the YouView box back up, make sure the TV is set to the input the box is on, and then see if you can get the picture from the box now.
    Stephen said:
     How far do you get through the YouView setup before you encounter the blue screen?

I get as far as the Youview logo and the message "Use smart mode for faster set up", then it goes straight to the blue screen and NOT SUPPORT message.

Roy said:
    A blue screen like this, on a working TV, most probably means it is set to an input Source where nothing is being received. - e.g. HDMI 2 when the YouView box is on HDMI 1, and broadcast is on TV.

But certainly, since the problem persists with the YouView box completely out of the circuit, the problem is with the TV, either how it is configured, or fundamentally in the hardware.

So make sure the TV has its source set to TV, and see if you can retune it.

If not, new TV time perhaps. But if you can, hook the YouView box back up, make sure the TV is set to the input the box is on, and then see if you can get the picture from the box now.
    I have the source set correctly.

With regards retuning the TV I'm not really sure how to do it.
    moklesk said:
    I get as far as the Youview logo and the message "Use smart mode for faster set up", then it goes straight to the blue screen and NOT SUPPORT message.

Ah then in which case can you give it an extra minute after that to finish booting up, then press these buttons in sequence on your YouView remote: HELP, 7, 2, 0

It sounds like your TV may be advertising to the box that it supports the 1080p resolution, so the box will switch to that mid-bootup, but if the TV can't actually support it then pressing HELP 7 2 0 will force the box to switch down to a 720p resolution, which if you can see the bootup screens, should work.

I've just tried that but nothing happened when I pressed those buttons. I did notice though that during the set up just before it went to the screen with the Youview logo in the top lefthand corner it had HDMI 720p.
    A shot in the dark..... Does the TVs RCU (remote control) have an AV button? And will repeated presses of it cycle through the various different inputs?
    The AV button is the one that I use to select the input source and I can select any of the various inputs but fail to see the purpose??
    Visionman may have been suggesting switching away from the YouView box source and back again, to force an HDMI re-handshake which sometimes sorts things out? Do you have any other TVs in your house to test with, or even a computer monitor? Just to set the box up, switch it to 720p and then put it back in place again?
    No, I only have the one TV.

Re the AV button - sometimes when switching away from one source and cycling through all the options available, the TV can finally latch onto a signal source, which as Stephen says above is an attempted 'forced handshake'. But it does sound like its the TV thats the problem. So I'd test all options with the aerial to TV only, bypassing the YouView box, as you need to get the TV working first. You state you don't know how to tune it. Can you access its menu, how old is it and whats the model number, moklesk?
    The TV is working fine with the Freesat box  I have. You may wonder why I need Youview when I have Freesat, it's for the recording facility, and it was working fine with the Talktalk Youview box that I had connected.
    Yes, I can access it's menu, it's about 10/11 years old and it's a Polaroid FLU2632
    moklesk said:
    Yes, I can access it's menu, it's about 10/11 years old and it's a Polaroid FLU2632
    Here is the user manual that came with your TV, where I have linked to the page which tells you how to tune it.

It is an HD ready set, max resolution 1366x768. So it won’t do 1080i or 1080p, but it ought to do 720i, perhaps even 720p.

Where did you get the BT YouView box from? Are you sure you have been sold a working example?

What happens if you put the TalkTalk box back? (Indeed, why did you stop using it? I hope you didn’t believe anyone who told you it wouldn’t work any more).

What happens if you connect the BT box to the TV with a SCART cable?
    I got the Bt youview box from Amazon. Talktalk wanted to start charging for their TV so I decided to get a subscription free box leaving me free to change Broadband provider too. We had been dumped on Talktalk by Virgin media when they jettisoned their non-cable customers in 2015.
    Initially I thought I'd be able to keep using their box but when I phoned them to opt-out of their TV they wanted the box returning.
    I can't plug the Talktalk box back in as I've already sent it back.
    I've done the TV retune but nothing has changed.
    Could it be anything to do with the Internet connection - I'm using Powerline adapters?
    moklesk said:
    I got the Bt youview box from Amazon. Talktalk wanted to start charging for their TV so I decided to get a subscription free box leaving me free to change Broadband provider too. We had been dumped on Talktalk by Virgin media when they jettisoned their non-cable customers in 2015.
    Initially I thought I'd be able to keep using their box but when I phoned them to opt-out of their TV they wanted the box returning.
    I can't plug the Talktalk box back in as I've already sent it back.
    I've done the TV retune but nothing has changed.
    Could it be anything to do with the Internet connection - I'm using Powerline adapters?
    OK, then the BT box ought to work, though there is still an outside chance it is a DOA (Dead On Arrival).

Was your TalkTalk box the original one they supplied you with, or a warranty replacement from within the first year?

Unless it was a warranty replacement after the first year, it was your property, which TalkTalk should have no more insisted you return to them than you sending them your TV as well. Or your car, if you have one.

But I expect they pulled the same trick as BT; technically, offering to take back the box as a ‘disposal service’ to you, all the while using wording that nearly, but not quite, suggests that you have no choice but to do this.

A shabby trick, not anything that an ethical company would do, but stopping just short of the criminal fraud it would be if you were told you had no choice.

Anyway - let’s be crystal clear on every step here:-
    you have taken the YouView box completely out of the connection chain;
    you are running a working aerial cable from the TV socket on the wall directly to the TV;
    there is a working terrestrial TV aerial on the roof or in your loft feeding that aerial socket;
    you have retuned the TV;
    you have set it to TV;
    and even now, instead of getting broadcast programmes, you are still just getting a blue screen on the TV?

Then it would seem that the TV is faulty; and indeed, with the YouView box out of the equation, it can’t possibly be the box at fault.

The last thing I would suggest you try, before thinking about getting a new TV though, is disconnecting the Freesat box, and anything else you have connected to the TV, other than the aerial cable and the mains power, and see what happens then when trying to watch broadcast channels.

As maybe the Freesat box, etc., has been grabbing the TV for itself; an outside possibility, but one we need to eliminate.

edited 26 January 2019, 12:29PM
    I've just connected the Youview box using a scart and it's up and running, however, it's got TalkTalk TV at the top of the page. So basically I'm still connected to TalkTalk with the new box, how do get it set up with Freeview?
    Whoa, whoa, whoa. Sorry what do you mean by 'up and running'?
    edited 26 January 2019, 2:52PM
    moklesk said:
    I've just connected the Youview box using a scart and it's up and running, however, it's got TalkTalk TV at the top of the page. So basically I'm still connected to TalkTalk with the new box, how do get it set up with Freeview?
    You are set up.

Any box, used on TalkTalk or BT, will inherit that ISP’s possibly unwanted branding, and the pathways to its extra options.

Just ignore them; though if they really annoy you, you will have to change ISP to get rid of them. But beware; if you change to BT, or their little dog PlusNet, it will just be out of the frying pan into the fire 🔥 
    Please can you try to set the video output of the box to 720p in settings and then connect it back up with HDMI to the TV?

Also, it's picking up TalkTalk branding just because it's on a TalkTalk internet connection, it's nothing to worry about, all boxes regardless of their origin will automatically pick up the branding of the line, if available. If you're not paying for TalkTalk TV then you won't get the extra services they offer - you'll just get retail features.

Also I agree with Roy, it's rather shabby of them to have told you to send your old box back as it most likely is legally yours. Depending on the wording/impression you were given, you should kick up a fuss.
    edited 26 January 2019, 4:07PM
    Thank you all for your patience and help - I really appreciate it.

Stephen - I had to connect the HDMI cable before it would let me adjust the settings. Why does it need to be on 720 instead of 1080?

Also I agree with Roy, it's rather shabby of them to have told you to send your old box back as it most likely is legally yours. Depending on the wording/impression you were given, you should kick up a fuss.
    When we got transferred to TalkTalk they gave us TV free - we didn't have it with Virgin and we didn't really want it but decided to use it as it was free, so I'm not sure whether the box is legally ours. Anyway I'm pleased to be extricating ourselves from Talktalk and will be looking for an alternative broadband provider once our contract's up.

Interestingly, Martin Lewis of Money Saving Expert has been writing about TalkTalk this week.

edited 26 January 2019, 4:35PM
    moklesk said:
    Thank you all for your patience and help - I really appreciate it.

Stephen - I can't see where to adjust the video output settings.

On the YouView box, press the blue ‘y’ button for the Main Menu, then choose Settings/Picture & Sound/HDMI Display/OK, arrow up or down to 720p, press OK again.

That naughty @Stephen is confusing you by using synonyms  :p
    edited 26 January 2019, 4:30PM
    @moklesk

TalkTalk gave a lot of boxes away free. It is/was legally yours, except in the one corner case where TalkTalk replaced it under warranty after you had had it for more than one year.

If this is not the case, then TalkTalk basically cheated you out of it  :'(

And if so, you might want to send @Sarah a Private Message (the little envelope top right on the Community heading, before you ask) giving details of the circumstances in which you were given the impression you had to send the box back to TalkTalk, so that Sarah can perhaps get you some recompense from TalkTalk for robbing you of your box, perhaps by paying for the BT box you unnecessarily had to shell out for as a replacement.
    Thanks for the info Roy, I've messaged Sarah as you suggested.
    moklesk said:
    Thanks for the info Roy, I've messaged Sarah as you suggested.
    I know she’ll thank me for it...  >:)