A few questions about the DTR-T4000

av709av709 Posts: 5Member
Hi all,
I'm a Plusnet TV customer and I've just bought a used DTR-T4000 as a bit of an upgrade to the T2100. It's much faster at launching catch up players/apps and even just scrolling through the guide is a lot smoother. However I have two problems:
1. The box gets very hot (which I knew about from reading reviews) but the fan does not spin
2. There is no "Eco" mode in standby options, only "Always ready" and "Smart"

With regards to the heat issue, can anyone who has this box tell me how hot the box has to be for the fan to kick in and cool things down? So far I've had it on a HD IPTV channel for 6 hours with the fan showing no signs of life and the box very hot to touch. To me it seems faulty but it would help to know how often the fan would run during a typical viewing session.

Also, on the T2100 there are 3 standby options with "eco" being one of them. Does anyone know why this option is missing on the T4000? I can't find any reports of this option being removed but I've seen many threads to do with the box not resuming from standby correctly so perhaps that has something to do with the option being dropped?

Many thanks in advance for any advice received!

Comments

• Tim CTim C Posts: 361Member ✭✭
    Hi av709 & welcome to the forum.
    I've both the T2100 & T4000 , both on the latest software & both only have the 2 standby options.
    The T4000 does get hot but not overly so in my view. I did have one that I got replaced where the fan never kicked in , but as I said that was replaced. With the one I have now I do ocassionally hear the fan start up but it is quite quiet.
    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ and all that other OldGen good stuff that was promised to come back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ etc etc.., rather than the unnecessary & unasked for that does get added and serves no useful purpose? Give me optional lists as well :) ."
  • jimbjimb Posts: 1,079Member ✭✭
    Tim C said:

I've both the T2100 & T4000 , both on the latest software & both only have the 2 standby options.
    My T2100 has three standby options - maybe you need to delve a bit deeper into the settings @Tim C
  • av709av709 Posts: 5Member
    Thank you both for your replies! Interesting about the standby options, I've moved the T2100 upstairs and both it and the T4000 are on the latest software (according to the boxes after checking for updates on them both just now) but only the T2100 has the three standby options.

@Tim C, do you know how long the T4000 fan takes to kick in after turning the box on? I.e would you expect it to spin at all after the box being on continuously for 6 - 7 hours or could it potentially be longer despite the box being hot?
    edited 2 February 2019, 4:05PM
    Nope , just the 2 of Smart & Always Ready , plus of course the deep sleep times. Both boxes are identical.
    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ and all that other OldGen good stuff that was promised to come back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ etc etc.., rather than the unnecessary & unasked for that does get added and serves no useful purpose? Give me optional lists as well :) ."
    To be honest it's never on for anything like that amount of time and at the moment is rarely used so I can't offer any help there.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,818Member ✭✭✭
    av709 said:
    Hi all,
    I'm a Plusnet TV customer and I've just bought a used DTR-T4000 as a bit of an upgrade to the T2100. It's much faster at launching catch up players/apps and even just scrolling through the guide is a lot smoother. However I have two problems:
    1. The box gets very hot (which I knew about from reading reviews) but the fan does not spin
    2. There is no "Eco" mode in standby options, only "Always ready" and "Smart"

With regards to the heat issue, can anyone who has this box tell me how hot the box has to be for the fan to kick in and cool things down? So far I've had it on a HD IPTV channel for 6 hours with the fan showing no signs of life and the box very hot to touch. To me it seems faulty but it would help to know how often the fan would run during a typical viewing session.

Also, on the T2100 there are 3 standby options with "eco" being one of them. Does anyone know why this option is missing on the T4000? I can't find any reports of this option being removed but I've seen many threads to do with the box not resuming from standby correctly so perhaps that has something to do with the option being dropped?

Many thanks in advance for any advice received!
    Hi @av709

Have you managed to prevent your T2100 from updating to NextGen? (I don’t think so, or you would be asking where the Lists went, and what these thumbnails are doing in their place).

Because the old standby options were replaced long ago, probably because ‘Low Eco’ (i.e. High Eco-Hostile) was a confusing name. This has morphed into ‘Always On’, High Eco is now ‘Energy Saver’, and the new ‘Smart’ mode mixes the two according to the time of day.

And your T2100 should be doing the same now; have a look. Perhaps you never noticed?

My T4000 runs in an enclosed space, albeit one with a ventilated back, and hasn’t fried itself yet.

One thought - unless you are watching native 4K from this box, do an A/B comparison on your 4K TV between HD upscaled by the box to 4K, and HD sent at 1080p from the box and upscaled by your 4K TV.

We find our Samsung TV does the better job of upscaling, so we keep the T4000 on 1080p. And when we want to watch Netflix or Amazon Video, we use the TV, which gives us HDR as well as 4K.
    Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?
    Tim C said:
    Nope , just the 2 of Smart & Always Ready , plus of course the deep sleep times. Both boxes are identical.
    The difference, I predict, is because you have your box paired with the YouView app, @Tim C, and @jimb doesn’t.

For as long as the box is paired, this removes the Energy Saver Option.
  • jimbjimb Posts: 1,079Member ✭✭
    Roy said:
    Tim C said:
    The difference, I predict, is because you have your box paired with the YouView app, @Tim C, and @jimb doesn’t.

For as long as the box is paired, this removes the Energy Saver Option.
    Aha! And that perhaps explains @Visionman's pronouncement:
    "Though point of note - YouViews now only have 2 standby modes - 'SMART' and 'Always Ready' and 'Energy Saver' no longer exists."
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,188Member ✭✭✭
    edited 2 February 2019, 5:53PM
    I also don't have any mobile apps.
    edited 2 February 2019, 11:24PM
    @Roy, thank you for that explanation, I have indeed paired the T4000 with the mobile app, something I did not do with the T2100 so this must explain it. Having looked again at the options on the T2100, it does indeed say "Energy Saver" not "Eco" as I mentioned in a previous post.

I don't actually own a 4K TV, I bought the T4000 purely for improved responsiveness and it is a big improvement. Everything seems laggy on the T2100; the animations, scrolling through the guide etc. I thought NextGen was supposed to bring about improved performance but this has not been the case in my experience. Thanks for the pointers about the upscaling, I think I'd use the inbuilt apps as well when I get a 4K set because as you said the T4000 can't do HDR AFAIK, or at least not in its current form. Do you know if this will change in future or is the hardware not up to the job?

In another development, the fan is now spinning and the box is running cool. Still not sure whether to keep it or not in case it's an intermittent fault. It was extremely hot yesterday and the fan showed no signs of life. Hmmm...
    edited 3 February 2019, 9:48AM
    @av709

I suggest you run a Maintenance Mode 4 on your T2100, then; while my T4000 is undoubtedly snappier than my T2000, I would never complain about the T2000’s responsiveness.

I don’t think that a T4000 is capable of providing HDR; this would, I believe, need hardware changes, not just firmware and software changes.

Maybe BT should just bundle its new best friend’s Amazon 4K Firestick with its T4000s going forward  :p

• I have a pair of 4k boxes both off e bay. I know it's sad but the reason I bought them is the lights on the front look so much better but.....they are no where near as quiet as the 2000 boxes
    I've just done an option 4 reset on my T2100, and it's just the same. Don't get me wrong, the box isn't horribly slow but it just feels laggy compared to what I'm used to e.g the animations when moving from one tile to the next feels like it's happening at 10fps. It wasn't this way before the update to NextGen. I've had various Sky boxes in the past, Virgin's V+ box (Samsung variant) and all were snappy and responsive despite their age.

It seems that it's time there was some new YouView hardware, it shouldn't be the case that a 4K box set-top box that runs very hot and is noisy is what's required for a smooth experience. Even the HDD is noiser on the T4000, but I won't complain too much because overall the experience is much better than the T2100.
     av709>
    "It shouldn't be the case that a 4K box set-top box that runs very hot and is noisy"

T4000's run silent. They run hot is true, but not as hot as you report. 
    edited 3 February 2019, 9:34PM
    Visionman said:
    T4000's run silent. They run hot is true, but not as hot as you report. 

The consensus seems to be that they are noisier and run hotter than the T2100s but yes I think mine does have an intermittent fault with regards to the fan.
  • Vision person your 4000 box is unique if its silent  because its borderline at the mo that the bedroom one stays as it's that noticeable 
    edited 4 February 2019, 3:14PM
    I have to put my ear on our T4000 to hear any operating noise (though that may say more about my ear than about the T4000).

But it is certainly quieter than the T2000 in our bedroom, whose clicking and ticking when it is recording can be heard as a soft murmuring, at dead of night.
    Stephen Bristow>
    "Vision person your 4000 box is unique if its silent  because its borderline at the mo that the bedroom one stays as it's that noticeable"

'Vision person' LOLZ.
    Stephen, gently press the top of the T4000 with the palm of your hand in different places. Does the noise disappear? 
    Visionman said:
    Stephen Bristow>
    "Vision person your 4000 box is unique if its silent  because its borderline at the mo that the bedroom one stays as it's that noticeable"

'Vision person' LOLZ.
    Stephen, gently press the top of the T4000 with the palm of your hand in different places. Does the noise disappear? 
    And check it isn’t placed on a surface that acts as a sounding board.
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,789Member ✭✭✭
    "No need to shout, I'm only deaf in one ear."

"Which ear?"

"Pardon?"
  • The old ones are the best...usually 
    The old ones are the best...usually 
    What has thousands of ears, but can’t hear a thing?
    edited 5 February 2019, 7:12PM
    Roy said:

A corn field, filled with ears of corn.
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 760Member ✭✭✭
    Visionman said:
    Roy said:

Oh dear, that's corny :D
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
    Anaglypta said:
    Visionman said:
    Roy said:

Oh dear, that's corny :D
    Yup. And to continue the theme “What’s this ‘ere?”, as Van Gogh’s housekeeper was heard to say...  :s
  • Ere today gone tomorrow