Aerial splitter weakening Youview signal

Lauren28Lauren28 Posts: 2Member
Help! 

I have one aerial point in my flat (in the lounge) and I have two tv's - one in the lounge and one in the kitchen. I previously had an aerial splitter which I would put in the aerial point and it gave me two aerial inputs which before I had BT TV and my Youview box, both tv's worked absolutely fine with no signal problems. 

Since I have got BT TV and the Youview box, this has changed. My kitchen tv which is basic Freeview is still fine, but I can only get BBC channels and BT channels such as Comedy Central and BT sport (the programmes that work off the BT internet) on my main tv in the lounge. Every other freeview channnel does not work and it gives me a weak signal error YVM302. I now have the one aerial from the Youview box plugged into the aerial point so my kitchen tv is not linked up anywhere. 

Why is the Youview box affecting my tv signal as I know the aerial splitter and aerials all work as I had no issues before. I do not know why or whats causing the problem, but I now cannot use my kitchen tv which is frustrating. 

Can anyone help? 

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 15,055Member ✭✭✭
    edited 4 February 2019, 3:50PM
    Hi @Lauren28 and welcome to the Community!

Let’s see if we can get you sorted.....

A passive aerial splitter halves the signal each device receives.

So nothing changed for you, except that you tried to run a YouView box off the half-strength signal from one side of the splitter, and it wasn’t enough for the YouView box.

Since YouView boxes need more signal than a TV does.

The solution is to get an active signal booster (the link is to just one such, at Amazon, of a reputable make, and you will find others on their site, but I am sure Argos or Curry’s will have something similar) with more than one output, and use this instead of the passive splitter.

You will need to plug it into the mains, and a short extra aerial cable to connect it, if you don’t have one handy.

I’m not quite clear, by the way, if you are saying the TV in the lounge no longer works off its own tuner, or just when you are trying to watch YouView.

If you haven’t already, get a male-to-female aerial cable, and run this from the aerial out on the YouView box to the Aerial In on the TV. Then, as long as the YouView box is being powered from the mains, even if it is just in Standby, you can still watch the lounge TV directly if you wish.

I would expect that to work even with the splitter; but you will need the booster for the YouView box, though you shouldn’t need any more than that.

Techy stuff: the passive splitter attenuates (reduces, weakens) the signals it sends out by 3dB (decibels, and dropping by 3dB = halving) or worse. The booster I referenced amplifies (increases, strengthens) the signals by 12dB (i.e. 4 * 3dB), i.e. 4 times stronger than without the splitter, 5 times stronger than with it.

Should help  :)
    Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?