Missing channels

Can get channel 4 and 4hd and LBC via Freeview play TV Panasonic but plug in a TalkTalk Huawei plus box and you many channels missing, aerial engineer for flats I live in said his aerial system working as without TalkTalk plus Huawei box you get most channels.  So he blames TalkTalk equipment and TalkTalk engineer blames aerial so annoying. Any ideas please?  Thanks.

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 15,055Member ✭✭✭
    edited 10 February 2019, 12:02AM
    YouView boxes need a stronger signal than TVs; it sounds as if the signal in your block of flats is above what a TV wants, and below what the TalkTalk box wants. So a bit marginal, but I doubt he will budge.

Worth looking in Settings at the Signal Strength and Quality that you get for channels than you do get.

And perhaps worth looking at a powered booster amp you can run your TV signal though before it reaches the TalkTalk box, about £20 at Amazon.
    Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?
  • Roy thank you for your advice,  I am considering buying the one for all SV9601 signal booster what do you think, it is £11.99 from Argos,  the problem living in flats is that I do not own the aerial and it is tough trying to get the managing agents to come out, I also now have some missing channels like BBC4 and Channel 4 on youview and some channels like BBC News HD keeps dropping out and going patchy and fuzzy,  I hope a TV Booster will do the trick.  
    edited 10 February 2019, 9:49AM
    Roy thank you for your advice,  I am considering buying the one for all SV9601 signal booster what do you think, it is £11.99 from Argos,  the problem living in flats is that I do not own the aerial and it is tough trying to get the managing agents to come out, I also now have some missing channels like BBC4 and Channel 4 on youview and some channels like BBC News HD keeps dropping out and going patchy and fuzzy,  I hope a TV Booster will do the trick.  
    That ought to do fine.

The many reviews on there are practically all five-star, and the ones that aren’t strike me as people with aerial problems further up the chain; I don’t see what I would call ‘legitimate’ complaints on there.

23dBs is about what competing boosters in this area of the marketplace provide, and One For All is a good name. And unpack it carefully, and in the unlikely event it doesn’t help, you can pop it back to Argos for a refund anyway.

I lived in a block of flats once, and agree it’s best to take what you can get from the aerial socket and then make your own arrangements  :p

Note that it will need plugging in to the mains, and you will need an extra, as short as you like, aerial cable, from your incoming socket to this booster.

Do let us know how you get on!
  • TELLYBOX007TELLYBOX007 Posts: 13Member
    edited 10 February 2019, 9:43AM
    Thanks Roy, you are a * STAR with your advice, I should be getting one latter today - will update late afternoon as to how i am getting on.   I will purchase a one for all booster, If anyone wants to donate to my escape from a flat with a communal aerial, so i can have a freehold place and get my own aerial, I would appreciate the help!  but for now I will try the one for all.   I will let you know how i get on later this afternoon.
  • TELLYBOX007TELLYBOX007 Posts: 13Member
    edited 10 February 2019, 12:44PM
    another example:  why is it  i can get LBC 732 on my TV but through the box it picks up channel but no sound output,  do you think the booster will fix this?
    ———
    Roy added:- 
    Thats unusual, and may be a different issue. Normally, you can get sound on marginal channels even when the picture is unwatchable, not the other way round.

But, while tuned to that channel, go into Settings, and note the Signal Strength and the Signal Quality.

Then do the same when you have the booster on, also seeing if the sound comes back, and let us know both sets of readings.

(@Sarah - how come I seem to have been able to take over @TELLYBOX007’s posting?
    edited 10 February 2019, 12:28PM
    Thanks Roy, you are a * STAR with your advice, I should be getting one latter today - will update late afternoon as to how i am getting on.   I will purchase a one for all booster, If anyone wants to donate to my escape from a flat with a communal aerial, so i can have a freehold place and get my own aerial, I would appreciate the help!  but for now I will try the one for all.   I will let you know how i get on later this afternoon.
    Alas, we can only help with problems with Freeview. Freehold is a bit outside our remit, and our powers  :p
  • Just got the one for all booster SV9601 and it appears to be better, not picked up all the channels such as local channel 8 London Live but not worried if i have that, would be nice, but the others that were missing have now come back, signal strength is better but I will monitor over next 2 to 3 days.  Signal for 103HD has improved from 50% to 79% which is good, but not tested enough channels yet or seen what it is like in the evening.   Thanks  Roy for all your help, you should be employed by YouView you are more helpful than they are - no disrespect Youview but really need more people like Roy who helps people sort out issues with the service.   
  • I will monitor for the next 3 days and report how the signal with SV9601 one for all is performing.   The management company that has control of the Aerial system are poor, think i have seen him on rogue traders but not 100%, but hopefully the ONE FOR ALL BOOSTER will do the trick, I will let you know how I get on.    Thanks Roy
    edited 10 February 2019, 10:27PM
    I will monitor for the next 3 days and report how the signal with SV9601 one for all is performing.   The management company that has control of the Aerial system are poor, think i have seen him on rogue traders but not 100%, but hopefully the ONE FOR ALL BOOSTER will do the trick, I will let you know how I get on.    Thanks Roy
    Thanks for the nice words above, but I have a fairly decent job, so YouView is just a hobby of mine (some would say a hobby horse  :p).

This has always been a peer-to-peer forum, albeit with very active input from Sarah and Louise who are YouView employees, and I am just one of many who help out here - in my case because the Community helped me out when my first YouView box failed, and I’ve been repaying the debt of gratitude ever since.

Well, I might have paid it off a ways back, but I decided to stick around. It’s a nice place to be.....