Is there any possible way of receiving COM7&8 via OTA in my area?

Hello,

I'm trying to ditch sky and move to freeview/youview (freesat doesn't have channel 4 hd) but want to be able to access the COM7 and 8 multiplex to receive the channels which are on that multiplex. I was wondering what aerial/amplifier I could use to get this content?

My DigitalTV Results: clicky clicky

Comments

• AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 766Member ✭✭✭
    edited 12 February 2019, 7:46PM
    Sadly your spreadsheet does not give the DigitalUK predictions information for your postcode and house number, so there is no way for me to even guess what your reception may be like!

When you look at Sutton Coldfield on the Digital UK website for your Postcode and house number do you see a full line of green boxes, or are some of them yellow or orange? (particularly COM7 and COM8)

John.

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
  • Anaglypta said:
    Sadly your spreadsheet does not give the DigitalUK predictions information for your postcode and house number, so there is no way for me to even guess what your reception may be like!

When you look at Sutton Coldfield on the Digital UK website for your Postcode and house number do you see a full line of green boxes, or are some of them yellow or orange? (particularly COM7 and COM8)

John.

I was wondering if I could put up some very high gain aerial with a masthead amplifer I could perhaps get those signals
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 766Member ✭✭✭
    Oh dear - I suspect the Malvern Hills (or some other terrain) is in the way, since you're only 30 miles from the transmitter!
    The only advice I can offer is to seek out a local installer who can give you chapter and verse on your location, but looking at those figures I think you are going to struggle to get anything reliable from Sutton Coldfield, let alone COM7 and COM8 which radiate at just over a quarter of the power of BBCA, D3&4 etc.

Good luck

John.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
  • Anaglypta said:
    Oh dear - I suspect the Malvern Hills (or some other terrain) is in the way, since you're only 30 miles from the transmitter!
    The only advice I can offer is to seek out a local installer who can give you chapter and verse on your location, but looking at those figures I think you are going to struggle to get anything reliable from Sutton Coldfield, let alone COM7 and COM8 which radiate at just over a quarter of the power of BBCA, D3&4 etc.

Good luck

John.
    ugh :( sad they don't have COM7 & 8 on malvern
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,073Member ✭✭✭
    I DX’ed to Sutton Coldfield from Cheltenham in the analogue days when it had NICAM stereo and our local transmitter didn’t, with a very high outdoor aerial with a masthead transmitter. It was fine, and we didn’t even have to change anything when we bought our first digital zapper box.

I’ll have to get a map out and triangulate your location tomorrow, but I think Ridge Hill might be your best bet; not too far away, about the same bearing as Malvern, though we do need to hope the Malvern Hills are not in the way, horizontally polarised so it’s orthogonal to the Malvern signal, and carrying COM 7 and 8.

What does the Digital UK Location Checker show for Ridge Hill from where you are?
    For those familiar with Red Dwarf, the internet seems to be divided into those who find it fascinating that Kryten is named after J.M. Barrie’s ‘The Admirable Crichton’, and those who think ‘So what?’
  • QuillzToxicQuillzToxic Posts: 7Member
    edited 13 February 2019, 1:36AM
    @Roy
    http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/main/trade/oh no bro/NA/0/NA
    says I'm fine for pretty much anything however putting my house number gives me these results (taken screenshots so nobody comes and kills me :joy:) : https://imgur.com/a/jX7QMfh

edited 13 February 2019, 10:53AM
    @Roy
    http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/main/trade/[redacted[/NA/0/NA
    says I'm fine for pretty much anything however putting my house number gives me these results (taken screenshots so nobody comes and kills me :joy:) : https://imgur.com/a/jX7QMfh

Those are startlingly different numbers - is your house in a dip or behind a giant wall?

But I put my postcode into the Checker, and it just says ‘get Freesat’, so I have to lie about where I live to get any local results at all. Whereas in reality I get everything Ridge Hill can throw at me, including Ridge Hill West, high strength, rock solid, distributed to five TVs in the house, and all off a loft aerial, not even an outside one.

But from the first screenshot (which you might want to edit to hide your postcode, because we aren’t supposed to give those out), it looks like Ridge Hill isn’t a goer, but Sutton Coldfield is as good as Malvern for the muxes Malvern can get, and holds out at least the promise of COMs 7 and 8 in addition.

Find a good local installer (I use the one my local Richer Sounds recommends, and he is mint), explain what you want, and see what he suggests. Chances are he will get you Sutton Coldfield as clearly as is possible there.
    For those familiar with Red Dwarf, the internet seems to be divided into those who find it fascinating that Kryten is named after J.M. Barrie’s ‘The Admirable Crichton’, and those who think ‘So what?’
  • QuillzToxicQuillzToxic Posts: 7Member
    edited 13 February 2019, 1:36AM
    Roy said:
    @Roy
    http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/main/trade/lol/NA/0/NA

Those are startlingly different numbers - is your house in a dip or behind a giant wall?

But I put my postcode into the Checker, and it just says ‘get Freesat’, so I have to lie about where I live to get any local results at all. Whereas in reality I get everything Ridge Hill can throw at me, including Ridge Hill West, high strength, rock solid, distributed to five TVs in the house, and all off a loft aerial, not even an outside one.

But from the first screenshot (which you might want to edit to hide your postcode, because we aren’t supposed to give those out), it looks like Ridge Hill isn’t a goer, but Sutton Coldfield is as good as Malvern for the muxes Malvern can get, and holds out at least the promise of COMs 7 and 8 in addition.

Find a good local installer (I use the one my local Richer Sounds recommends, and he is mint), explain what you want, and see what he suggests. Chances are he will get you Sutton Coldfield as clearly as is possible there.
    No its behind like nothing, which is odd. Anyway I messaged a local installer and they said its definitely possible so now It's just turning around the roof top aerial :P (unless i just get a loft one as installers are $$)
  • alal Posts: 1,296Member ✭✭
    edited 13 February 2019, 5:06PM
    Do you get all other channels ok? My digitaluk prediction is all green except Com8 which is blank but I get breakup on BBCB and Com8 (No signal on Com7).

Bear in mind, this time next year Com7&8 will probably be gone anyway :(
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Posts: 125Member ✭✭
    al said:

Bear in mind, this time next year Com7&8 will probably be gone anyway :(
    ??? Not heard this before.
    The aerial on the roof will need, at least, reorienting and rotating 90 degrees, as SC is horizontally polarised, while Malvern is vertically polarised. Possibly a replacement aerial may be advised.

Given that you are trying to pull in what may be a marginal signal, I’d stick with the roof aerial, trusting (and paying) an installer to get it right for you.

Here is a marvellous resource about aerials, by the way, where you can check anything an installer tells you. And have a good laugh, to boot.
  • Okay I'll phone an local installer tyvm
    al said:
    This does not square with Digital UK, which shows these muxes, along with all the others, in its Final Prediction 2020 lines.

Perhaps COM7 and COM8 will just go and perch somewhere else along the frequency bands?
    edited 14 February 2019, 11:02AM
    Roy said:
    This does not square with Digital UK, which shows these muxes, along with all the others, in its Final Prediction 2020 lines.
    I think it's a coincedence but I apparently lose Com7 around the time my SDN channel is moved from the 700MHz band:

Roy said:
    Perhaps COM7 and COM8 will just go and perch somewhere else along the frequency bands?
    This is the hope but still nobody seems to know! Either way it's the frequencies that you are choosing your aerial for. So should someone with signal problems get an aerial with high gain that excludes the frequencies that are destined to leave or medium gain that includes them now?
    Of course this would have been much easier to deal with if the youview boxes had decent tuners.