BT lieing to me about what will happen to my YouView+ Box if i cancel BT Subscription

Has anyone else had BT lie to them about what will happen if they cancel BT TV? They keep telling me "your box will shut down and not work" "catch up wont work" "pause, rewind and record wont work" "freeview will not work". Im absolutely fed up being told these lies, i actually believed them for the first 2 years until i saw that you can buy the same box in argos. Everytime i ring BT i just get lie after lie. After searching threads on here for some answers it seems they have been doing it for years. i found some threads from 2013 from people saying the same. I cant believe i have been missold and lied to for 4 years. I emailed YouView and they also confirmed that what they were telling me wasnt true. I have been paying £5 a month for nothing, after realising what they actually provide for this i dont even use any of it!! extremely mad and will no longer give BT any money

Comments

• GoodbyeGoodbye Posts: 152Member
    I only stayed for the initial 12 months as back then it was a extremely cheap way of getting a recordable box. Why anyone would stay byond that was madness as you were basciy just paying for Freeview. The blatant misinformation stroke bare faced lies did go away for a while and they just asked could they have their box back ( err no....) But it seems the scare tactics are back.

• I only stayed for the initial 12 months as back then it was a extremely cheap way of getting a recordable box. Why anyone would stay byond that was madness as you were basciy just paying for Freeview. The blatant misinformation stroke bare faced lies did go away for a while and they just asked could they have their box back ( err no....) But it seems the scare tactics are back.

They also tried telling me i dont own the box, when infact i do. ive had that box 4 years so im way past the 12 month contract. Honestly that company have annoyed me something chronic with their lies, i wished i had researched into a long time ago to know i was paying for nothing. when you get told the same lies over and over you end up worried you will lose everything so carry on paying it. Im gutted i fell into their trap
  • John LJohn L Posts: 169Member
    Hi Bryany0205, welcome to forum. I agree with you. This is my view only, appreciate many will disagree on the forum(!). A few years ago, we all had freeview, then came along twin pvrs for many years, followed by 7 epg catchup & now "everyone" (no - there are still some of us that record each day) now only uses streaming & catchup, so the companies seem to be targeting/upselling their products. I personally wouldn't waste my money paying extra for BT streaming/extra content etc etc. I too read the forums & think it is a total rip off if this is what BT & also TalkTalk are doing. Actually if they are telling false information, they are braking the law. Just needs someone/many others to seek legal advice & I think BT would eventually wake up. I can fully understand consumers that need to watch extra sport etc, but it really has gone mad at the moment with subscriptions, especially reliability when there is a problem. They don't mind taking your money each month! Maybe draft a letter to BT's Customer services Manager, if no success, then start at the top F.A.O. CEO/MD & complain. I would then start from the top & work down until you get your complaint resolved. Whenever I have a complaint I do the same thing. If everyone made a complaint they might sit up & listen. John L
  • John L said:
    Hi Bryany0205, welcome to forum. I agree with you. This is my view only, appreciate many will disagree on the forum(!). A few years ago, we all had freeview, then came along twin pvrs for many years, followed by 7 epg catchup & now "everyone" (no - there are still some of us that record each day) now only uses streaming & catchup, so the companies seem to be targeting/upselling their products. I personally wouldn't waste my money paying extra for BT streaming/extra content etc etc. I too read the forums & think it is a total rip off if this is what BT & also TalkTalk are doing. Actually if they are telling false information, they are braking the law. Just needs someone/many others to seek legal advice & I think BT would eventually wake up. I can fully understand consumers that need to watch extra sport etc, but it really has gone mad at the moment with subscriptions, especially reliability when there is a problem. They don't mind taking your money each month! Maybe draft a letter to BT's Customer services Manager, if no success, then start at the top F.A.O. CEO/MD & complain. I would then start from the top & work down until you get your complaint resolved. Whenever I have a complaint I do the same thing. If everyone made a complaint they might sit up & listen. John L
    Thank you for replying. Its bad when gullible people like me at first accept what they say or give in arguing, i really wish i had continued my argument with them that i started in 2017. i cant find an email address anywhere to email anyone at BT. I spoke to a manager last night and he refunded me £20 so ive probably screwed myself over by accepting this, however i only accepted it with a new price for my broadband.. this deal however fell through and they cancelled it for some unknown reason. Do i still have a leg to stand on? 
  • GoodbyeGoodbye Posts: 152Member
    Wouldn't lose sleep over the phantom broadband offer as their are some cracking deals out there at the moment. 
    John L said:
    Thank you for replying. Its bad when gullible people like me at first accept what they say or give in arguing, i really wish i had continued my argument with them that i started in 2017. i cant find an email address anywhere to email anyone at BT. I spoke to a manager last night and he refunded me £20 so ive probably screwed myself over by accepting this, however i only accepted it with a new price for my broadband.. this deal however fell through and they cancelled it for some unknown reason. Do i still have a leg to stand on? 
    Yes, don't give in! You haven't signed a contract for the £20 refund. Remember you are a "Consumer" & you are their "customer". So BT needs to be reminded this! I used to work in retail hence know some of the law. I would certainly contact at least their Customer services manager, if no help, request name & address to officially write a full complaint to their CEO/MD. Further to this seek legal advice from Citizen's advice bureau, followed by contacting one of the consumer organisations: Which, BBC Watchdog, Martin Lewis & many more out there. I sincerely wish you the best. Do let us know how you progress. Tv viewing should be fun & enjoyable, not adding loads of stress! Lige is already stressful in this modern world, without more added! John L
    SPELLING ERROR*
    Yes, don't give in! You haven't signed a contract for the £20 refund. Remember you are a "Consumer" & you are their "customer". So BT needs to be reminded this! I used to work in retail hence know some of the law. I would certainly contact at least their Customer services manager, if no help, request name & address to officially write a full complaint to their CEO/MD. Further to this seek legal advice from Citizen's advice bureau, followed by contacting one of the consumer organisations: Which, BBC Watchdog, Martin Lewis & many more out there. I sincerely wish you the best. Do let us know how you progress. Tv viewing should be fun & enjoyable, not adding loads of stress! LIFE* is already stressful in this modern world, without more added! John L
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,375Member ✭✭✭
    edited 14 February 2019, 10:22PM
    John L said:
    Further to this seek legal advice from Citizen's advice bureau, followed by contacting one of the consumer organisations: Which, BBC Watchdog, Martin Lewis & many more out there. I sincerely wish you the best. 
    DON'T DO THAT, as thats complexly and completely the wrong advice to give and will just run you around in circles.
    Follow your providers complaints process and if neither of you can reach a satisfactory resolution your provider itself will refer you to OFCOM to resolve the matter. Thats the correct advice and procedure.
    John L said:
    John L said:
    Yes, don't give in! You haven't signed a contract for the £20 refund. Remember you are a "Consumer" & you are their "customer". So BT needs to be reminded this! I used to work in retail hence know some of the law. I would certainly contact at least their Customer services manager, if no help, request name & address to officially write a full complaint to their CEO/MD. Further to this seek legal advice from Citizen's advice bureau, followed by contacting one of the consumer organisations: Which, BBC Watchdog, Martin Lewis & many more out there. I sincerely wish you the best. Do let us know how you progress. Tv viewing should be fun & enjoyable, not adding loads of stress! Lige is already stressful in this modern world, without more added! John L

bryany0205, at the end of the day you are the consumer/customer. I sincerely wish you success in getting problem resolved. Hopefully I may have given you some advice, which has worked most times for me when dealing with complaints. Ofcom is another option, but try dealing with the "supplier/retailer" first. First point of call. Have a good Weekend John L

• redchizredchiz Posts: 4,849Member ✭✭✭
    redchiz, does it really matter ofcom, ombudsman etc? You use a ombudsman/ofcom to help resolve issues if you have problems that can't be resolved with the original source: retailer/supplier. At the end of the end of the day, as I mentioned earlier, it all boils down to same practice as the shops. You are a customer/consumer & they are the retailer/supplier of the goods. I should know all this as I worked in retail plus I also currently sell online (!), so know the law.
    Bryany0205, sincerely hope you are able to make progress/get at least some customer satisfaction. Let us all know how you get on. Welcome to the Youview forum. John L
    Yes, it really does matter. Ofcom do nothing other than add a tally mark to a five bar gate. The Ombudsman is there if you are unable to resolve a complaint directly with your provider. 
    . . . glad it's the Weekend & the sun is shining. This thread has gone on too long . . .
    Good luck Bryany0205. John L 
    It would have been a lot shorter without all your "advice."  ;)
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,375Member ✭✭✭
    edited 15 February 2019, 10:49PM
    John L said:
    redchiz, does it really matter ofcom, ombudsman etc?
    Yes it really does. And thanks chiz.

But I'd love to know what powers the CAB, Which, BBC Watchdog and Martin Lewis hold over an Ombudsmans office? Plus they can give a customer all the legal advice they need?
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,133Member ✭✭✭
    Has Vanilla gone crazy, or just a couple of recent posters?
    Where do all those characters that you type in search boxes and which never appear go to?
    Yes vanilla has gone crazy Roy! Not sure what happened, I didn't type any more. It seems as if message is "cached" in the browser. Might be my pc, or Youview's vanilla. Not sure, but I will check my pc when I get a moment. John L
  • SarahSarah Posts: 1,039Administrator admin
    edited 18 February 2019, 3:06PM
    Hi @Roy & @John L

They got caught in the spam filter which we marked as not spam however took a little while to reappear on the forum again so I could remove them. They've been removed now :) 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Thank you Sarah, much appreciated. I thought my Browser might have gone mad! Have a good day. John L