2nd youview+ box won't connect to internet

Had a youview box from bt with a subscription. Bought a 2nd box to watch freeview channels&record upstairs.  Worked fine.  Have now cancelled bt subscription as I don't watch any of the extra channels so for me, a waste of money.  Now 2nd box won't connect to internet. 
Set up is through powerline adapters & Ethernet cable.  Have taken the box downstairs &set it up to see if there's something wrong with it but works fine with main tv (connected straight into router). Tried new Ethernet cables,  reset everything including powerline adapters. Still no joy.  Obviously i can use 2nd box to watch freeview&record but it gives me the constant message ' can't see guide preview as not connected to internet '.Also can't use catch up,  iplayer etc, which stills works on my other box. 
Spent agrees on phone to bt who say it will only work with a subscription. But if that's true why can I go to Currys&buy multiple boxes off the shelf which all say no subscription necessary.  they said return it to Currys. But as nothing is wrong with the machine why should that be an option? 
Any ideas please?? ( plain English please as I am no way a tech buff)

Comments

• Had a youview box from bt with a subscription. Bought a 2nd box to watch freeview channels&record upstairs.  Worked fine.  Have now cancelled bt subscription as I don't watch any of the extra channels so for me, a waste of money.  Now 2nd box won't connect to internet. 
    Set up is through powerline adapters & Ethernet cable.  Have taken the box downstairs &set it up to see if there's something wrong with it but works fine with main tv (connected straight into router). Tried new Ethernet cables,  reset everything including powerline adapters. Still no joy.  Obviously i can use 2nd box to watch freeview&record but it gives me the constant message ' can't see guide preview as not connected to internet '.Also can't use catch up,  iplayer etc, which stills works on my other box. 
    Spent agrees on phone to bt who say it will only work with a subscription. But if that's true why can I go to Currys&buy multiple boxes off the shelf which all say no subscription necessary.  they said return it to Currys. But as nothing is wrong with the machine why should that be an option? 
    Any ideas please?? ( plain English please as I am no way a tech buff)
  • scottscott Posts: 1,931Member ✭✭✭
    Did you try your other box upstairs, seems like an issue with internet upstairs rather than actual box.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 14,942Member ✭✭✭
    edited 14 February 2019, 1:17PM
    In plain English: BT are talking b*ll*cks.

Next step: What @scott said.
    Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?
  • GoodbyeGoodbye Posts: 91Member
    One of life mysteries considering youview is thier cornerstone of bt TV is why thier call center staff are so clueless about youview. When I cancelled I was also told I would lose my recordings catch up etc if I left. Your box not working after leaving bt is pure coincidence . I think the problem lies with your powerline adapters and maybe it's time to invest in a new set...but if the box downstairs works fine upstairs then you probably have a fault in the box. Good luck