Youview box recording failure

TJCTJC Posts: 4Member
Anyone else had problems with recordings on Youview boxes? Scheduled recordings have been dropped and others changed ( a Saturday morning recording apparently rescheduled for 2AM Monday). Series recording is not always offered when new recordings are requested. Any thoughts on this folks?

Comments

• SarahSarah Posts: 1,040Administrator admin
    Hi @TJC
    Welcome to the forum :) 
    Can you let me know which programmes and channels you have been experiencing this issue with? 
    Thanks,
    Sarah
  • TJCTJC Posts: 4Member
    BBC1 Sat Kitchen Live is currently scheduled for Mon 4th March 2:30am, had problems with Only Connect BBC2 also. Most of these were scheduled by Mrs TJC but I'll keep a note of any that crop up in the future, thanks, Tim.
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,849Member ✭✭✭
    The BBC, uncharacteristically, have been having issues with their scheduling information recently. Are any other channels affected? 
  • David B-WDavid B-W Posts: 6Member
    Have also had failure on BBC1 HD only. Varied failure today but not all. Doctors at 145 did not record . Then told in the scheduled list for rest of this week up to and including Friday 1st that 'recording failed' for most if not all of our BBC1 HD scheduled programmes e.g. The One Show every  evening  and Death in Paradise on Thursday. No problem with BBC2HD or ITV1HD scheduled for  today or rest of week. Clearly continuing BBC  problem after the late start of recordings though that now seems OK....so far.
    Great British Sewing Bee, BBC2 and Shetland, BBC1 both stopped recording after around 14 minutes last night 26th Feb.
    TJC said:
    Great British Sewing Bee, BBC2 and Shetland, BBC1 both stopped recording after around 14 minutes last night 26th Feb.
    Hi @TJC

Just to confirm that you had enough space on the box to make the recording? It'd be helpful to know roughly what % space was free on the box a the time of these recording failures and also if there were any other recordings going on at the same time. We just want to check to see if this is part of the same problem which the BBC are currently investigating.

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Carried out a factory reset (keeping recordings) this morning. This afternoon Shakespeare and Hathaway BBC1 partially recorded.
  • zulu17zulu17 Posts: 927Member ✭✭
    Just an observation @TJC it is possible that the Shakespeare and Hathaway  partial recording today (27 Feb) may be related to other issues that are not specific to YouView. I say this because I happened to have a truncated recording on a non YouView device that also uses AR for that episode when recording today (BBC 1 HD) - in my case the programme was recorded for 30 minutes and the remaining 15 minutes not recorded.  My (non) Youview device did not report any errors in the recording which suggests that the signals it received indicated the programme had ended  normally.
  • I have had similar problems with recording and I live in the South just outside of London, but what it did was give me the opportunity to look at Freeview Play that is built in to my TV and much better TV Guide, loads quicker - no recording facilities unless i connect a hard disk drive to the TV,  also no remote record but do we really need remote record.  
  • YouView has the best-looking recording facility, easy to find a recording, the search is better with YouView,  remote record is good. The Freeview Play has a help/news section which shows updates to new channels and players and apps.   Freeview play has really started to shine and maybe now getting close to beating YouView, youview sleeps and hopes internet providers grow the platform, what are YOUVIEW HQ doing - no new apps, no TV screen in Guide, the difference between black and white YouView and Colourful TV Guide with FreeView Play.   BING or Google Youview play and see images of the screen.  Youview is good but slowing down,  not reactive enough to todays fast paced world. 
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,139Member ✭✭✭
    edited 28 February 2019, 10:05AM
    YouView has the best-looking recording facility, easy to find a recording, the search is better with YouView,  remote record is good. The Freeview Play has a help/news section which shows updates to new channels and players and apps.   Freeview play has really started to shine and maybe now getting close to beating YouView, youview sleeps and hopes internet providers grow the platform, what are YOUVIEW HQ doing - no new apps, no TV screen in Guide, the difference between black and white YouView and Colourful TV Guide with FreeView Play.   BING or Google Youview play and see images of the screen.  Youview is good but slowing down,  not reactive enough to todays fast paced world. 
    It doesn’t sound like you have a Freeview Play recorder to make a fair comparison with; I don’t either, but I understand from those who have tried them that they are pretty slow and clunky.

The Freeview Play guide, as I understand it, is skinned locally by whoever put together the device it appears on; so some may be colourful, while others, like this example, which I ‘BING Is Not Google’d on Freeview Play’s own site, at your behest, are pretty monochrome.

I agree that YouView is in danger of being left behind (as it has been for several years  :p) but nobody else has managed to do that yet with an alternative PVR. Though I think we could all spec our dream box, if they asked us  :)

But I can’t agree with you about the YouView Search; try typing in ‘Friends’, with a view to finding an episode you can watch on TV; you will get 1717 hits if you have BT Broadband, even if you don’t have BT TV, many of which aren’t actually Friends but just programmes with the word in the title, which I see no way to exclude. And if you are with BT for broadband, as I am, hundreds of the results are on BT subscription channels, which non-BTTV users can’t get.

You can filter out the 1000 On Demand results and just look at the 717 On Now & Later, but the target broadcast Friends, on Channel 5, is at position 42 in the 717.

I largely blame YouView for allowing BT to take over customer’s non-BTTV boxes in this way, but the fact remains that the ability to filter Search results would still be incredibly poor, even if you could skip these BTTV results; so either way, using Search is like trying to drink from a firehose  :#
    Where do all those characters that you type in search boxes and which never appear go to?
    Hi all,

The BBC are aware of these issues and are progressing a resolution of technical issues impacting YouView and non-YouView devices. If you get any issues with recordings recorded today on BBC channels being significantly clipped, please let us know the BBC channel and programme so we can forward on the information.

Thanks,
    Sarah
  • We have an ongoing issue trying to record Antiques Road Trip (BBC Two, weekdays, 5.15pm-6pm). We get anything from the last 30 to last 10 mins. In the meantime, while the TV Guide is correct, if you press ‘i’ for info it tells you the previous show is still airing. 

To be clear:
    • We have tried a factory reset
    • Everything else we record (including things on BBC Two) works fine
    • We also have Sky (someone in the house cannot live without Sky Atlantic) and that records Antiques Road Trip just fine
    • I tried using BT’s online troubleshooting service and was basically received a virtual shrug and a “This conversation has been ended” message before I had a chance to type, “But…”
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,378Member ✭✭✭
    Heres a new one... My box recorded BBC Breakfast this morning and I hadn't even set it.   :*  
  • Rob PRob P Posts: 48Member
    Visionman said:
    Heres a new one... My box recorded BBC Breakfast this morning and I hadn't even set it.   :*  
    A few weeks back mine recorded The Women's Football show completely of its own accord, also on BBC1 I think.
  • zulu17zulu17 Posts: 927Member ✭✭
    Visionman said:
    Well there certainly are some peculiarities with that programme data on  BBC 1HD .
    Looking at the Series CRIDs on a non Youview box today (Thursday) Breakfast series CRID was different to  those for other forthcoming broadcasts  on other days.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
  • westywesty Posts: 13Member
    edited 2 March 2019, 6:16PM
    I've had same issues with BBC2, ITV (North West) and Channel 4.
    Failed recordings, and incomplete recordings.
    I have 99% free space.
    This Huawei box is only 2 months old.