edited 27 February 2019, 9:15AM in Discussion

Have you guys seen the UI on this Freeview Play box? :O

https://manhattan-tv.com/products/manhattan-t3-freeview-play

Pity its got no HDD :)

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 15,199Member ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February 2019, 10:46AM
    On the horizon perhaps.......

EDIT: On the horizon definitely - “A recorder version of the T3, the T3-R, is already in development and will be available later in 2019”.
    Now away for a bit....
  • stormystormy Posts: 1,025Member ✭✭
    Yeh, if Youview don't come up with something new I think something like that will be my next box. Thanks for the links.
    edited 27 February 2019, 12:30PM
    stormy said:
    Yeh, if Youview don't come up with something new I think something like that will be my next box. Thanks for the links.
    De nada.

Looks like you’ll need ‘Flix’n’Sticks to augment it, though, just when YouView might finally be getting NowTV Entertainment. Or will that just be for BT TV users?
    Now away for a bit....
  • GoodbyeGoodbye Posts: 241Member
    Didn't  see Netflix or prime on there and it's not wireless so can't see it replacing my 4k youview box but I think freeview play will advance more then youview. 
  • jimbjimb Posts: 1,110Member ✭✭✭
    ... it's not wireless ...
    "Connect to a rooftop aerial to enjoy Freeview and by Wi-Fi or Ethernet for on demand"
      :)  
    Just good old youview in the ethernet  camp then.

Just good old youview in the ethernet  camp then.
    Indeed; that’s why I have just had to hang an Ethernet switch on my router because it’s run out of ports. And no, that’s three devices, none of them YouView boxes, that are Ethernet only, all current.
    Now away for a bit....
    Its just a pain having a youview box in the bedroom relying on pla when sitting next to it is a £10 now box that works perfectly on wireless. Obviously there's no freeview or recording on the now box but if sky can do it why can't youview 
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,463Member ✭✭✭
    There are many TV boxes out there that offer on demand WiFi and also a few that offer PiPs.
    All one has to do is go out and get one.  :)

Its almost here; https://manhattan-tv.com/freeview-play/manhattan-t3r-recorder/

Also,

I still can't get over how very similar to the Youview UI it has, its almost a carbon copy in style.

stormy said:

Its almost here; https://manhattan-tv.com/freeview-play/manhattan-t3r-recorder/

Also,

I still can't get over how very similar to the Youview UI it has, its almost a carbon copy in style.

Yes I can see what you mean, but isn't it nice to have a proper programme synopsis (rather than YouView's annoying popup box) and a mini TV!
    And it displays 6 channels - the same as YouView - which kind of means that YouView is wasting about a third of the available screen space.
    stormy said:

...I still can't get over how very similar to the Youview UI it has, its almost a carbon copy in style.

It also looks like there's a channel filter (at the top of the screen).
    How much more compact that is than YouView's filter bar!

• AshAsh Posts: 261Member
    edited 13 June 2019, 2:48PM
    One wonders whether this will finally force Humax and Panasonic to release a proper refresh of their Freeview play set-top box hardware that completely complies with the latest Freeview play specification. 

But one thing that they need to both do is cure the 'we're going to use rubbish hardware syndrome'. It is not good enough In this day and age when a year ago you could buy a £200 smart phone that had an eight core 2 GHz processor. (Moto G5 plus) If this can be done in a relatively cheap phone from a year ago. Then there is no reason why set-top boxes should be sluggish any more. My Panasonic Freeview play boxes never done anything. It's not supposed to but if ny god is it slow and sluggish and there's no excuse for it in this day and age.

The one thing you can say about youview is that while it isn't the fastest thing in the world the T2000 and the T4000 can't be described as sluggish.

Sorry that was a bit rantty wasn't it :( 
    edited 13 June 2019, 3:19PM

Not having first hand experience with it I don't know if its better, but it probably won't be any worse than my aging T1010 box. I do find the similarity at least on screenshots uncanny, I guess the "style" couldn't be copyrighted by Youview.

Not sure what processor is in the T3-R.

• groover22groover22 Posts: 5Member
    stormy said:

Not sure what processor is in the T3-R.

Same hardware as the T3, just with an added HDD/recording. Pretty fast and responsive.

As for the UI looking like YouView, I have both and they really don't look similar/identical to me at all.

Groover,

Can you tell me how the tuner is compared to the Youview box? My Youview box has always been a much weaker tuner than any TV tuner or other device I have used.

Could you do a check for me and compare the Signal Strength with the Youview box versus the Manhattan? I am hoping the Manhattan has a better tuner.

Thanks,

stormy said:

Groover,

Can you tell me how the tuner is compared to the Youview box? My Youview box has always been a much weaker tuner than any TV tuner or other device I have used.

Could you do a check for me and compare the Signal Strength with the Youview box versus the Manhattan? I am hoping the Manhattan has a better tuner.

Thanks,

Stormy - I've had zero problems receiving all channels on it so far, when doing a tune/retune etc.

On the YouView box, it would sometimes fail to pick up com7/8 channels when doing a retune. However, to be fair, moving the RF cable and HDMI cables as far apart as possible seems to have fixed that.

As for signal strength, currently getting 98% to 100% strength and quality on both boxes. (Our aerial was recently replaced). Com 7/8 channels are around 92% to 96% strength, again on both boxes. (My YouView box is the t4000).

Hope that helps.

Thanks for that, I have a new house and the aerial is brand new, fed from a powered amplifier to the rooms, but the Youview box (T1010) still seems not great, it picks up all channels but some of the HD stuff is only 55% SS 100% Quality (no idea the purpose of this stat actually is). On my TVs both wired to the same connections they are 98 or 99% SS and 100% quality.

I do get the odd drop out on the Youview box so was hoping the Manhattan would be more like the TVs (which never drop out) rather than the T1010. I guess I would just have to try it.

Thanks,

stormy said:

Thanks for that, I have a new house and the aerial is brand new, fed from a powered amplifier to the rooms, but the Youview box (T1010) still seems not great, it picks up all channels but some of the HD stuff is only 55% SS 100% Quality (no idea the purpose of this stat actually is). On my TVs both wired to the same connections they are 98 or 99% SS and 100% quality.

I do get the odd drop out on the Youview box so was hoping the Manhattan would be more like the TVs (which never drop out) rather than the T1010. I guess I would just have to try it.

Thanks,

Just to clarify, all I can say with confidence is that I've had zero dropouts or break-up on any channels (Com 7/8 channels included) using the Manhattan box. 

TV's tend to only have single tuners, so will generally perform better, signal wise I think. My tv was the same versus the YouView box.
    groover22 said:
    Just to clarify, all I can say with confidence is that I've had zero dropouts or break-up on any channels (Com 7/8 channels included) using the Manhattan box. 

TV's tend to only have single tuners, so will generally perform better, signal wise I think. My tv was the same versus the YouView box.

Both my TVs have dual tuners so not sure that is to be honest. All I know is my TVs have always in the new house and the old house reported much better signal conditions than the T1010. With a 98% SS I would be very surprised if you got signal break up. I just hope the Manhattan box would be more like my TV at 98/99% SS than the T1010 at 55%.

Maybe the T4000 has a better tuner than the T1010 (as it is old now)?

stormy said:
    groover22 said:

Both my TVs have dual tuners so not sure that is to be honest. All I know is my TVs have always in the new house and the old house reported much better signal conditions than the T1010. With a 98% SS I would be very surprised if you got signal break up. I just hope the Manhattan box would be more like my TV at 98/99% SS than the T1010 at 55%.

Maybe the T4000 has a better tuner than the T1010 (as it is old now)?

Ah right, not that then. I have read before that the YouVIew tuners tend to be a bit on the weak side compared to others, and have experienced problems with missing channels before now (where the tv would find them no problem.) But currently have no problems with it.

Originally had bad/very low signal on some com 7/8 channels, but eventually realised that moving the HDMI cables out of the way fixed it.

All I can say is, I have had no similar channel or tuning problems with the Manhattan box.

Cheers,

Groove
    Hi Grover22.

Is it as quick as a YouView? Because up to now reports have previously stated they (Freeview Play boxes) move like sludge.
    Visionman said:
    Hi Grover22.

Is it as quick as a YouView? Because up to now reports have previously stated they (Freeview Play boxes) move like sludge.
    Yes it is, for the most part.

It's been a lot faster and a lot more responsive compared the Humax FreeviewPlay boxes. No comparison in my opinion. Of course, you don't have the triple tuner with the Manhattan, but no sluggishness wins for me.

I can only compare it to the t4000 YouView box I have, and it compares favourably. 
    When in normal use (Scrolling through and using Menus/settings, in apps and using the guide to set recordings etc) It feels fast and responsive.

The only time it's not been as fast as the t4000, is when scrolling quickly through the guide (From top to bottom - Pressing and holding up/down or Page Up/Down) To be fair, the YouView guide blanks out the program grid when doing this, whereas the Manhattan doesn't. 

If anyone has used the T3 from Manhattan, it's basically the same hardware, just with the added HDD and recording features.

It's been a pleasure to use so far, for the most part. The ability to restore deleted recordings and skip a recording in a series link, without cancelling the whole series link, have been great.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for that, And the ability to restore deleted recordings and skip a recording in a series link would both be great features if they could be added to YouView.
  • AshAsh Posts: 261Member
    500 GB version of the T3R is out on 10 July, according to Amazon, but you will have to wait until 31 July for the one terabyte version  Again this is according to Amazon
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Manhattan-T3-R-Freeview-Smart-Recorder/dp/B07RHC2955/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=manhattan+t3r&qid=1562505909&s=gateway&sr=8-1