BritBox - Room for another subscription?

Comments

• GoodbyeGoodbye Posts: 156Member
    Am I missing something..they expect you to pay for content that's readily available on I player and the hub?? People subscribe to prime etc to access content not available elsewhere. ITV obviously haven't learned from their last effort at pay TV.. on tv
  • JoeJoe Posts: 2,001Member ✭✭✭
    Yeah I have to admit it feels like a tall ask. 
    Maybe they anticipate people will become more flexible with their subscriptions? Can’t imagine signing up to multiple subscriptions, after all there’s only so much tv you can watch. But I suppose maybe they’re aiming for viewers chopping and changing on a monthly basis between subscription services.

Though it’ll need exclusive new content to draw people in( which they’ve intimated) not sure if an old back catalogue will be enough? Problem is it’s competing with free to air content on DTT, iplayer, & itv hub. Also it starts to question the relevance of the license fee. 

I’d like to be positive about it, but looking at it now it seems a difficult propersition. Maybe i’ll be proved wrong - There is a strong back catalogue, and people may get excited about having ITV content in decent quality without ads.

• RoyRoy Posts: 15,139Member ✭✭✭
    Am I missing something..they expect you to pay for content that's readily available on I player and the hub?? People subscribe to prime etc to access content not available elsewhere. ITV obviously haven't learned from their last effort at pay TV.. on tv
    Well, it won’t be, will it? So either it will be stuff that isn’t on the current catchup services, or they will cannibalise those of free content to put it behind a paywall. And cannibalise all other streaming subscription services of  BBC and itv content, so they can put it behind their own paywall.

To say nothing of cannibalising UKTV; what will be left for them?

This is all a bit different from Britbox in the US, where none of these considerations, or of licence fee considerations, apply.

But as for the BBC content, I think we might reasonably point out that in the UK we have already paid for it once, via the licence fee, and so might feel rather disinclined to pay for it again.
    Where do all those characters that you type in search boxes and which never appear go to?
    I wonder whether it’s been encouraged by people willing to pay a small fee to lose adverts off itv hub and all4 services?  I think if it’s to stand any chance the subscription fee needs to be very small. If it’s netflix equivalent I can’t see it taking off at all. It does feel like a step in the direction of getting rid of the liscense fee, not sure I feel good about that personally.
    The BBC will probably drop the uktv efforts (gold Dave etc) and add that content to Britbox
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,378Member ✭✭✭
    There wouldn't be any commercial sense in denying UKTV to Freeview, YouView, Sky, Virgin Media and Freesat.
  • PhilStationPhilStation Posts: 111Member ✭✭
    People have purchased BBC content for years, whether it be on VHS, DVD or from iTunes / Google Play. I don't see how this is any different. In fact, I think it's better as you can dip in and dip out for £5 or so a month rather than buying a box set for £20 that you will only watch a handful of times. 

I have no problem with them withdrawing their shows from Netflix, I watch Netflix for original content and not really anything more.

To get regular, on demand access to classic shows and content that doesn't get shown today, I would happily pay a subscription.
    Visionman said:
    There wouldn't be any commercial sense in denying UKTV to Freeview, YouView, Sky, Virgin Media and Freesat.
    I’m not convinced there is any commercial sense in a UK Britbox, so there may not be any commercial sense in anything the BBC and its partners are likely to do to get it off the ground,

But here’s an opinion piece  that airs some of the issues. And reminding us of the big success that the BBC Store wasn’t.

They don’t learn, do they? ‘Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it’.
    Where do all those characters that you type in search boxes and which never appear go to?
    edited 1 March 2019, 11:41AM
    People have purchased BBC content for years, whether it be on VHS, DVD or from iTunes / Google Play. I don't see how this is any different. In fact, I think it's better as you can dip in and dip out for £5 or so a month rather than buying a box set for £20 that you will only watch a handful of times. 

I have no problem with them withdrawing their shows from Netflix, I watch Netflix for original content and not really anything more.

To get regular, on demand access to classic shows and content that doesn't get shown today, I would happily pay a subscription.
    This is a good point. I suppose this is a lot of the reasoning behind the BritBox thing ( awful name by the way)

When bbc store was a thing I bought a few classic series on there, never got round to watching them but that’s not the point :) 

itv hub is dreadful in comparison to iplayer. Interface feels dull, and programs are poor SD quality with adverts. Hardly ever use it. Perhaps I can find worth in a britbox with decent HD quality for all the main uk channels? Certainly if they borrow from iplayer design it’ll be a more inspiring place to visit then itv hub 

edited 1 March 2019, 12:09PM
    Joe said:

This is a good point. I suppose this is a lot of the reasoning behind the BritBox thing ( awful name by the way)

When bbc store was a thing I bought a few classic series on there, never got round to watching them but that’s not the point :) 

itv hub is dreadful in comparison to iplayer. Interface feels dull, and programs are poor SD quality with adverts. Hardly ever use it. Perhaps I can find worth in a britbox with decent HD quality for all the main uk channels? Certainly if they borrow from iplayer design it’ll be a more inspiring place to visit then itv hub 

@Joe @Philstation

Awful name. I fear a rhyming variant will gain common currency  :D

But the world of On Demand is changing - it used to be that the BBC had only limited rights to reshow programmes on demand, and only limited capacity to deliver them.

YouView as designed in 2012 only went backwards one week because, with very few exceptions, that was about as far back as you could go  :|

And with DVDs, you felt you were paying for physical media, while with BBC programmes from other streaming suppliers, you knew they had paid fees to host it, and likewise had costs of delivery, so you were happy(ish) to pay for those.

But it’s different now. While they can’t put out every programme on demand on iPlayer, the BBC can put out any programme (that they have the rights to) on demand on it; so whether a programme goes on iPlayer or on Britbox is now largely a commercial decision.

And you can absolutely guarantee that for every programme only available on subscription on Britbox, there will be a bunch of people absolutely furious because they think it should be free on iPlayer instead, and who will be vocal about it.

That’s something new in the equation.
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,849Member ✭✭✭
    It's hard to call how this may go. The BBC's problem is that they can't cash in on much of their original content these days because they don't own the rights, independent production companies do. Heck, they can't even keep content e.g. The Voice; Bake Off. But ITV Studios have slowly been building their production arm, including shows they make for the BBC. So the collaboration at least starts to make more sense.

I agree about the name though. It might suit the US and other overseas markets, but it is is really naff for domestic consumption. 
  • AshAsh Posts: 258Member
    edited 7 March 2019, 6:17PM
    Roy said:
    Well, it won’t be, will it? So either it will be stuff that isn’t on the current catchup services, or they will cannibalise those of free content to put it behind a paywall. And cannibalise all other streaming subscription services of  BBC and itv content, so they can put it behind their own paywall.

To say nothing of cannibalising UKTV; what will be left for them?

This is all a bit different from Britbox in the US, where none of these considerations, or of licence fee considerations, apply.

But as for the BBC content, I think we might reasonably point out that in the UK we have already paid for it once, via the licence fee, and so might feel rather disinclined to pay for it again.
    Remember a few months ago when it came to light, the BBC wanted to put quite a lot more Boxsets on BBC iPlayer, but was stopped from doing so by Ofcom because commercial operators lodged protests, saying that it would be difficult for them to compete. Although to be honest I think Ofcom should have told the commercial operators to rotate on the basis that most of the stuff that the BBC would have wanted to add to iPlayer would have been stuff that people would have paid for already through the licence fee. So why now shouldn't we get access to its to iPlayer?

I think this is the reason why Britbox is now being launched in the UK because the BBC can put a load of stuff on Britbox that they currently aren't able to put on iPlayer . Originally, I don't think the BBC and ITV were planning to bring Britbox to the UK from what I hear Brit box is going to cost 5 pounds a month. Apparently there's going to be quite a bit of exclusive content on there as well. At only 5 pounds a month. I can't imagine stuff being available in 1080p, 
    By "exclusive " read extra factor or bake off extra slice, no thanks. 
    I think the bbc have their material achived in 1080i. Iplayer is currently 720p. Perhaps there’s a quality incentive to show material on Britbox at the higher quality? Certainly is in the case of itv, which is very poor in comparison to iplayer standards 
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,378Member ✭✭✭
    By "exclusive " read extra factor or bake off extra slice, no thanks. 

'Your fired.'