Sony Bravia youview app with Virgin

Iain_YIain_Y Posts: 3Member
Hi.
I have a Sony Bravia TV with built in Youview app. We have Virgin Media cable TV and broadband. The TV is connected via ethernet cable to the router so has Internet connection. However, when trying to tune the Youview app it does not find any services. There is an option tuning with  antenna or cable. I have tried both but with no success in finding any services. Please can anyone give any advice? Is it a TV problem or a Virgin problem? 

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 15,139Member ✭✭✭
    edited 2 March 2019, 12:06AM
    Hi @Iain_Y and welcome to the Community!

YouView only works with an antenna (broadcast, over the air) signal from a TV aerial, so without one of those, you won’t get anything.

And while the BBC iPlayer and My5 on there will work without the TV having been tuned, the itv Hub and All4 won’t, as they read the tuning information to see what region you are in, so they know which region-specific adverts to pitch to you.

But you can plug your Virgin box into the TV via an HDMI input, and watch it that way.

In fact, I always hold that the most successful way to use one of these TVs is as a monitor for Sky (or Virgin, in this case), to enjoy the unbeatable picture quality these sets provide while largely skirting the rather clunky Android interface they have, with all its attendant woes.

If you forsake YouView for the Freeview EPG on these sets, you can make the switch-on default be the HDMI input for your Virgin box, though if you stay on the YouView side the option is grayed out, so the set only starts up on the broadcast TV input.

Note though, that outside of YouView, the itv and All4 players don’t work, unless you use the third-party Hoshsadiq patch to get these.

Note also though that once itv and Channel 4 are tuned, you don’t need to keep an aerial connected for the players to work, as YouView only cares that tuning has taken place, and not that there is a current live signal on these channels.

But lastly, I’m a bit confused that you think YouView is inviting you to tune via cable; can you post a screenshot of the dialogue here that makes you think that, as YouView will certainly not work that way?
    Where do all those characters that you type in search boxes and which never appear go to?
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,286Member ✭✭✭
    edited 2 March 2019, 1:02AM
    Youview doesn't work with cable TV or a satellite dish. It needs an internet connection and a terrestrial TV aerial connection. What is the TV aerial setup in your property?
  • Iain_YIain_Y Posts: 3Member
    @Roy. Thank you very much for the advice  I didn't realise that I needed the traditional aerial connection. I've reinstated that (luckily had some old piece of coaxial spare) and now Youview has tuned like a dream. Very simple fix once in the end. Once again thanks.
    Fir completeness though since you ask here is the screenshot of what I was getting when asked to tune with either antenna or cable. 
    And yes normally I watch the TV via Virgin box and hdmi to the TV. 
  • Iain_YIain_Y Posts: 3Member
    @jonesh
    Thanks for response. As you will see from the post above to @Roy I hadn't a terrestrial TV connection anymore. I've reinstated this and now Youview up and running.
    Thanks 
    edited 2 March 2019, 7:38PM
    Pleased that you got it working @Iain_Y.
    I am in the market for a new TV and a Sony Bravia is on the shortlist. The spec says, under connectivity, RF, (Terrestrial/Cable), Connection Input(s), 1(Bottom).
    I have no idea what the cable option involves, but hopefully @Roy might be able to enlighten us :).
    edited 3 March 2019, 12:07AM
    jonesh said:
    Pleased that you got it working @Iain_Y.
    I am in the market for a new TV and a Sony Bravia is on the shortlist. The spec says, under connectivity, RF, (Terrestrial/Cable), Connection Input(s), 1(Bottom).
    I have no idea what the cable option involves, but hopefully @Roy might be able to enlighten us :).
    Thanks for the screenshot, @Iain_Y; I can certainly see how this was confusing, but I am glad that the advice we offered here has got you motoring with YouView.

@jonesh, the usual idea with the antenna/cable choice is that you are telling the TV either that you have an antenna, and so it should start the tuning process for terrestrial signals and operate on the TV setting via the EPG, or that you have a cable box that is taking care of all that, so there is no need of, and no point in, trying to do an antenna tuning, and it is just a case of plugging the pre-tuned cable box into an AV socket, and going from there. In which case, the TV will default to that AV input when switched on.

This will work fine with the ‘Freeview side’ of these Sony TVs.

But I remain puzzled why this option is offered on the ‘YouView side’, where the cable setting won’t work. Unless the TV, if you take the cable option, foresakes YouView entirely, and operates on, or as, the ‘Freeview side’?

@Sarah?

Oh, and @jonesh, I suggest you spend some time looking at the Sony Community before electing a Sony Android TV. Do bear in mind that very few people would go there to praise these sets, even if they were the best thing since sliced bread, though. And on the plus side, that Sony can get a better picture off the LG OLED panels they use than even LG themselves can get.

(I’m assuming you won’t be looking at plain old LED now OLED is out there  :p )
    Where do all those characters that you type in search boxes and which never appear go to?
    Thank you for the explanation @Roy.
    jonesh said:
    Thank you for the explanation @Roy.
    You’re welcome.

(And I added an extra paragraph about some considerations with these Sony Android TVs, which I enjoin you to go back and read if you only saw my posting in its first incarnation).
    OLED TVs are only available in the larger sizes @Roy, so I think that it will be plain old LED. The intention is to replace the Sony CRT, which is still going strong. I don't like getting rid of things that still work, but in this instance I've decided to make an exception :'(.
    Thank you for the link to the Sony Community. I'll check it out.
    jonesh said:
    OLED TVs are only available in the larger sizes @Roy, so I think that it will be plain old LED. The intention is to replace the Sony CRT, which is still going strong. I don't like getting rid of things that still work, but in this instance I've decided to make an exception :'(.
    Thank you for the link to the Sony Community. I'll check it out.
    I guess you have 43in-50in sizes to choose from then, as Android doesn’t go below 43in (though other Sony TVs do) and OLED starts at 55in.

Bezels are very thin these days, so measure the space you have against the actual width and height of possible TV candidates; you may be able to fit in a bigger screen than you might have thought, nowadays.

I’m still bemused that we spent the 80’s happily watching a 20in TV in our big lounge, creeping up to 26in in the 90’s, and then the most enormous 36in Sony CRT, one of the first digital sets, which never really worked, followed by a flatscreen 46in Sony in the 2000’s, finally replaced by a 55in Samsung of similar external dimensions, but practically non-existent bezels in 2015.

Lately, we’ve been looking enviously at 65in OLED sets from LG, which rather to our surprise we seem to have plenty of room for, but it’s a bit early to junk the Samsung. And HDMI 2.1 and eARC are just around the corner, but probably won’t make it onto 2019 sets, and there are rumours of Samsung sets that will be real OLED or perhaps something even better, so.....
    edited 4 March 2019, 7:43PM
    I have no desire to own the latest tech, @Roy. I'd be happy with a black and white telly and a Youview box :p.
    jonesh said:
    I have no desire to own the latest tech, @Roy. I'd be happy with a black and white telly and a Youview box :p.
    In which case I recommend Roma on Netflix, which will let you pretend that one of today’s sets is black and white.

But vinyl records are back, so perhaps we can hope for the VHS revival shortly.

And maybe even YouTube, the valve version of our favourite box. Unless the name is taken, of course  :p

Roy said:
    jonesh said:
    In which case I recommend Roma on Netflix, which will let you pretend that one of today’s sets is black and white.

But vinyl records are back, so perhaps we can hope for the VHS revival shortly.

And maybe even YouTube, the valve version of our favourite box. Unless the name is taken, of course  :p
    Netflix?
    I never stopped using vinyl records, but I draw the line at VHS. Likewise with Compact Cassette, but I have read that demand for them is increasing.
    I have got a valve amplifier :).