Incomplete recordings - I was sent here by Talktalk

westywesty Posts: 13Member
edited 2 March 2019, 5:17PM in Support
Hi,
I have a 2 month old Huawei Youview box, supplied by Talktalk.
Last week, it failed to record. After a LONG chat with Talktalk and many tests, they sent out an engineer. He fixed the 'failing to record' issue, but since then it is dropping the ends of the recordings it makes. They are not internet channels. Problems are with, BBC2, ITV, CH4. I haven't tested any others. Here's one example:
BBC2  1 March   LaLa Land. Should have run from 23.05 to 01.00. Recording was 23.06 to 00.01  (It dropped an hour from the film). There are many more examples, some stop 8-10 minutes from the end, some longer.
There are no other scheduled recordings/clashes, etc, etc, that would have caused this.
Talktalk support said they had no idea how to fix the problem, and sent me here !!!
Can anyone help please?
Many thanks

Comments

• redchizredchiz Posts: 4,812Member ✭✭✭
    Hi westy, the BBC have certainly had some recording issues lately which have been mentioned and discussed here, but not other channels. It will help if you can specify which particular programmes were affected.
  • westywesty Posts: 13Member
    edited 2 March 2019, 6:43PM
    Hi Redchiz,
    I'm afraid I've been deleting the troublesome recordings, but I have a few I can tell you in detail;
    ITV March 1 Corry St. Prog time: 7.30 - 8.30. Recorded 7.29 - 8.22
    CH4  March 1 The Big Nastie Show Prog time: 11.05 - 12.01. Recorded 11.07 - 11.47
    If I remember correctly, I had recorded Wolf Hall on Sunday 24th Feb from Drama channel, and that was cut off at the end too. Also, CH4 Chateaux DIY was cut off. Don't have exact timings, sorry.
    I hope that helps
    OK, in which case let's wait and see if the YouView team can advise here. But have you tried any of the usual possible fixes, Maintenance Mode resets and so on?
    No, I've not tried anything so far. I had expected to be given some direction on settings from Talktalk support (after 90 minutes on the phone!). I've looked at basic settings, nothing relevent in there. So I'll take a look at the link you have given.
    The engineer will have done something last week when he fixed the 'failure to record' problem, I guess.
    Ah, yes, this is what the engineer did. I lost all recordings and schedules.
    Should I do it again?

Hmm, maybe not. The more I think about it the more I wonder why TalkTalk have sent you here. But sit tight and hopefully one of the YouView experts will pick up on this after the weekend. 
    As there was nothing to save (recordings or schedules), I went ahead and did a Factory Reset. It's worth a try.
    I've set 2 progs to record, and they will be completed by 8pm. I'll see if they have issues, and come back with teh result.
    Thanks for your input Redchiz. Appreciate it.
  • Tim CTim C Posts: 376Member ✭✭
    My thought about the LaLa Land recording failure , ending at midnight , is that the sleep start time might have arrived. Is that likely?

“Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ and all that other OldGen good stuff that was promised to come back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ etc etc.., rather than the unnecessary & unasked for that does get added and serves no useful purpose? Give me optional lists as well :) ."
    Hi TimC,
    Nope, I checked that. It's set to 2am.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,265Member ✭✭✭
    A box won't go into deep sleep if a recording is in play. It will only do it after the recording has finished.

westy, whats your signal strength and quality?
    Hi Visionman,
    My test recording: More 4, Four in a Bed. Should have been for 30 minutes, but it stopped at 15 mins.
    Here's the Signal Strength and Quality from the channels that have had issues:
    More 4 Strength: 69, Quality 100
    ITV: Strength 65 Quality 100
    BBC2: Strength: 82 Quality 100
    CH4: Strength 68 Quality 100
    Drama: Strength 65 Quality 100

edited 2 March 2019, 8:14PM
    the Chanel 4 News just recorded in full. No problems with that. Although that channel has had previous issues.

I'm sorry but your problems drew a blank with me as those are more than exceptable strengths. And no one else is reporting such channel recording problems either.
    edited 2 March 2019, 8:19PM
    My Youview box model details:  Talk Talk DN372T
    Box is 2 months old
    Thanks for your input Visionman. Yes, I'm at a loss. I hope someone from Support can help.
    Cheers
    Will do test recordings over the weekend and report back. The full Ch4 News recording has given me hope that it is going to be ok now :-)  Heyho, we'll see. I'll give an update tomorrow afternoon.
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Posts: 116Member ✭✭
    Can I suggest you post on the TalkTalk forum?

Give them the full details and I would expect the OCE there to swap your box over as this is beyond what others have been experiencing. 

They may test other things first though but you should get it sorted. 

Link here. https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/TalkTalk-TV/bd-p/116

If you need to sign up ensure you have input your phone number in your profile as this is used to tie up with your account.
    The very strong signal could be an issue as the Youview tuners are not as robust as those found in most TVs.
    Maybe trying an attenuator to reduce the strength would be worth it. Either go with a fixed one of , say, 12dB or get a variable one.
    This has been successfully suggested over on the BT TV forum quite a few times and for a few pounds could be worth a try.
    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ and all that other OldGen good stuff that was promised to come back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ etc etc.., rather than the unnecessary & unasked for that does get added and serves no useful purpose? Give me optional lists as well :) ."
    Tim C said:
    The very strong signal could be an issue as the Youview tuners are not as robust as those found in most TVs.
    Sorry I may be missing something here... What strong signal? As on YouViews old scale of reporting 69 aerial strength is perfectly acceptable. Though I agree 82s pushing it, the weathers been a bit whacky lately.
    It was late & to my great embarassment I just didn't read the post properly.
    Now I read it correctly the signal strength as calculated by NextGen is perhaps rather low. From my experience my 65% on OldGen went to 92% with NextGen so as you say those figures are pushing it a bit & with the weather who knows.
    No probs.
    thanks to you all for posting. After my tests last night, it is still recording only 50% of a programme. Sometimes only a couple of minutes.
    I agree that this is VERY strange, and obviously not a general problem, so I'll get back to Talk Talk - it's their box after all. I shouldn't be needing to do all this.
    Best regards