Has the BBC stopped pushing HD when you choose the SD variant?

skillerskiller Posts: 288Member ✭✭
Go to the Guide on your YouView app.

Tap on, for example, "This Time with Alan Partridge" at 21:30 on 04/03/19 on channel 1.

It used to have the option "Also in HD". I noticed this disappeared about a week ago.

I am using the Android app - perhaps the iOS one still offers this?

Has the BBC withdrawn this feature or has the app gone wrong?

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 14,931Member ✭✭✭
    It’s fine here on iOS:-

And although it doesn’t list under ‘Other Episodes on TV’ which channels are showing Episode 3 on the 11 March, tapping that entry does then show you the expanded details for Episode 3:-

Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?
  • scottscott Posts: 1,926Member ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March 2019, 7:47AM

@Skiller I have reported this (and mentioned it in the software thread) about the 'Watch Live in HD' option with the info button on the mini guide on the box. Ch5 still works (BBC and Ch5 were about the only ones that did).

There seems to be some real issues with BBC at the minute, the recording seems to have gone awry along with accurate recording signals, seems they have moved anybody with any competence onto Britbox and put the trainees in charge of everything else ;)

edited 4 March 2019, 9:05AM
    skiller said:
    Go to the Guide on your YouView app.
    Tap on, for example, "This Time with Alan Partridge" at 21:30 on 04/03/19 on channel 1.
    It used to have the option "Also in HD". I noticed this disappeared about a week ago.
    I am using the Android app - perhaps the iOS one still offers this?
    Has the BBC withdrawn this feature or has the app gone wrong?
    Same satisfactory result as above for me on my Android phone, Android 5.1.

I wonder why we all seem to be suddenly reporting different things under the ‘same’ criteria?

edited 4 March 2019, 9:20AM

I know this is an old picture but didn't it actually used to say 'Also in HD', not just 'also on'.

Has the BBC removed the 'HD' tag which would explain why it doesn't now show up in the mini guide on the box also.

• zulu17zulu17 Posts: 915Member ✭✭
    I believe from memory that identifying or linking a programme as being available in HD as one of the optional additional references that a broadcaster can include on the data they supply to the EPG. The BBC seem to have no consistency in their data .
    example Youview app iOS 
    Home under the hammer today is identified as being available in HD but not tomorrow.

edited 4 March 2019, 9:43AM

@Zulu Thanks, As I said above BBC have gone from being one of the best at doing these things to being all over the place. We have had reports of AR not working, incorrect recordings being scheduled and now confirmation that the HD idents are all over the place. What on earth is going on at BBC HQ and can YouView have a quiet word in their ear please.

As a side note it does make me chuckle how often HUTH is used as an example - does that say something about YouView's user base :)

edited 4 March 2019, 9:50AM
    @scott - The BBC has been in Deolali for a while now - perhaps that explains things?

@zulu17 - Interesting that the Monday one says ‘Also in HD’ while the Tuesday one says ‘Also On’, and that all the ‘Other Episodes on TV’ don’t specify a channel or channels at all.

But my iPad says ‘Also On’ where yours says ‘Also in HD’. Odd.

If you get Tuesday’s results not by going to Tuesday, but by tapping the Tuesday entry in the Monday results, what do you get then?
  • zulu17zulu17 Posts: 915Member ✭✭
    @Roy
    tuesday and Wednesday episode entries when tapping on Monday other episode. 

• GoodbyeGoodbye Posts: 87Member
    Doesn't bold well for britbox then
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Posts: 116Member ✭✭
    I've just tried setting up Who Wants To Be Millionaire on ITV and I didn't get the usual Also in HD but Also On so had to go to ITVHD to set it.

Is this an app issue then rather than connected to the existing BBC one?
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,812Member ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March 2019, 4:53PM
    Doesn't bold well for britbox then
    Or "bode" even. Off-topic and ungrammatical, priceless! :D 
    I've just tried setting up Who Wants To Be Millionaire on ITV and I didn't get the usual Also in HD but Also On so had to go to ITVHD to set it.

I don’t know, but why did you have to go to ITV HD? On the YouView app, at least, you could have tapped the entry in Also On, that would have promoted it to the top item in the box, and you could then just have pressed the R symbol to record it, I reckon.

Roy said:

I don’t know, but why did you have to go to ITV HD? On the YouView app, at least, you could have tapped the entry in Also On, that would have promoted it to the top item in the box, and you could then just have pressed the R symbol to record it, I reckon.

That's the point I was making @Roy. That option was missing.
    Roy said:

I actually did it, on my YouView app on this iPad, sometime after 21:00, and I have the last five minutes of the programme on my box to prove it.

Which app did you use, on what platform, that might explain the difference in our experiences?
  • SarahSarah Posts: 1,006Administrator admin
    Hi all,

We have raised this with the BBC and they are aware of these inconsistencies and plan to bring the feature back fully in the future.

Apologies for the inconvenience whilst this is going on.

Thanks,
    Sarah
    @Roy, I got also on but it just had the standard ITV not HD variant. Strange. You view app and TalkTalk app doing the same for yesterday but you view ok for today but TalkTalk still reverting to SD.
    edited 5 March 2019, 10:40AM
    Roy said:
    Roy said:

I actually did it, on my YouView app on this iPad, sometime after 21:00, and I have the last five minutes of the programme on my box to prove it.

Which app did you use, on what platform, that might explain the difference in our experiences?
    OK, got a bit more of a handle on this - @Sarah, could someone from YouView check my findings below, while tonight’s WWTBAM is still in the future?

All seems fine on the iOS YouView app 11.2.12.2 on this iPad, where you get the main entry, three entries in ALSO ON, and the option there to SHOW TWO MORE AIRINGS,  for a total of six entries altogether. And all seem valid and correct, with no actual duplications.

But on my Android phone with YouView app 11.2.2.3, when you tap the ITV channel 3 entry, you get the main box, and just one ALSO ON entry, with SHOW MORE AIRINGS (no count). Maybe different from iOS as this is a small smartphone, and it’s a screen size thing, so no issues there.

However, the ALSO ON entry duplicates the main box entry. And lets you record both; and it’s real, as my T2000 is now indeed showing two copies of the same recording as scheduled for tonight, both with a thumbnail, and won’t let me add the Smithsonian channel programme that I really want at 21:00.

I’m pretty sure you are not supposed to be able to contrive to get two identical simultaneous recordings, as most of the ways you might try for this just toggle the recording off. Or is there a bigger loophole here than I think?

‘Scheduled’ on all three devices shows both bookings, with thumbnails, normally; the only indication that the Android device is slightly uneasy about all this is that the second, duplicate, ‘Booking’ entry does not show a thumbnail nor programme details, but just the fact of the booking.

Continuing my description of the Android EPG, when you choose that SHOW MORE AIRINGS, you get seven entries shown, which with the main entry gives eight in total, two more than on iOS, due to the initial duplication of the 21:00 channel 3 SD showing, and a further duplication of the 23:45 second channel 3 SD showing.

And if you move to that showing in the Guide and tap, there are likewise the same eight entries there, though naturally in a slightly different sequence.

My working hypothesis for @Stevef_fr8ys is that he was using an Android version of the app, saw only the initial duplicate, and did not open the Show More Airings, where he would have seen the HD option. But let’s see what he says; maybe he found something else, even more weird.
    Oh yes, view more airings works, but up until now that seemed to have defaulted to the HD airing without needing to see more.
    edited 5 March 2019, 12:59PM
    Oh yes, view more airings works, but up until now that seemed to have defaulted to the HD airing without needing to see more.
    Is this on Android, and the first ‘Also On’ is erroneously repeating the main result above?

If so, our observations agree, and it looks like the Android version of the app needs a fix for this error.

And everything needs a fix for the exact and simultaneous duplication of a recording, unless YouView boxes are supposed to support this, which would be for reasons that escape me  :p
    Yes it's Android and the first also on is repeating the main entry.