Amazon prime

DanielDaniel Posts: 1,948Member ✭✭✭
edited 8 March 2019, 3:47AM in Discussion
As we know Amazon prime is a bt/plusnet exclusive but say if a customer had a bt box connected to a bt line then changed to a different provider does that mean that the change of IP config would cause Amazon prime to be removed from the box?

Comments

• skillerskiller Posts: 294Member ✭✭
    Amazon Prime on YouView is box-specific, not ISP-specific.
  • dreamtimedreamtime Posts: 189Member
    I have Amazon Prime on my T2100 and use Sky BB as my ISP.
  • DanielDaniel Posts: 1,948Member ✭✭✭
    I didn't gain it until I joined plusnet. 
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,139Member ✭✭✭
    Daniel said:
    The suggestion being that it arrived with PlusNet? But I don’t think it works that way.

Might it have arrived with a new BT-compatible box from PlusNet?

Or might it just happen to have been released on the same day you switched ISPs?
    Where do all those characters that you type in search boxes and which never appear go to?
  • JoeJoe Posts: 2,001Member ✭✭✭
    Roy said:
    Daniel said:
    The suggestion being that it arrived with PlusNet? But I don’t think it works that way.

Might it have arrived with a new BT-compatible box from PlusNet?

Or might it just happen to have been released on the same day you switched ISPs?
    I'm with Plusnet (just fibre, no tv), and have a retail T2000 box. There's no Amazon Prime on my box yet. 
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,378Member ✭✭✭
    edited 23 March 2019, 6:14PM
    Joe said:
    I'm with Plusnet (just fibre, no tv), and have a retail T2000 box. There's no Amazon Prime on my box yet. 

Amazon hasn't been rolled out to retail boxes yet. I don't know why.
  • GoodbyeGoodbye Posts: 156Member
    Personally think your not missing much. I know it's not the point but like now TV it is easily accessible on other devices if you really want to pay for content that is free elsewhere (hand maiden etc).
    edited 24 March 2019, 1:35PM
    Goodbye said:
    Personally, I think you’re not missing much. I know it's not the point but like NowTV, it is easily accessible on other devices if you really want to pay for content that is free elsewhere (The Handmaid’s Tale, etc).
    I haven’t paid for anything on the Firestick apart from a couple of movies and programmes that JustWatch showed me were not free or cheaper anywhere else.

Might be different if you don’t have Amazon Prime anyway.

[Below edited to accommodate redchiz’ pertinent strictures]

The attraction of having Amazon Prime Video on the YouView box, though, for those who have Amazon Prime at all, is that its offerings are seamlessly included in the YouView Search, something you don’t get if your Amazon Prime Video is hosted elsewhere.

For those who aren’t subscribed to it, though, having even more extraneous results is a bloody nuisance....
    Where do all those characters that you type in search boxes and which never appear go to?
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,849Member ✭✭✭
    The "attraction" @Roy, and "seamlessly?? I thought you were generally dead against search results being polluted by services that one may not be subscribed to? Not including your own, it seems.   ;)
    redchiz said:
    The "attraction" @Roy, and "seamlessly?? I thought you were generally dead against search results being polluted by services that one may not be subscribed to? Not including your own, it seems.   ;)
    Quite right @redchiz - thanks for the heads-up.

Though the context of my remarks above was originally just addressing Amazon Prime subscribers, I have accordingly edited them to be fully inclusive of subscribers and non-subscribers alike.
    The Amazon menu on a YouView is awful compared to Netflix. I find it awkward to use and not that easy to find stuff as the only content that gets pushed to me is the category I mainly watch, which is sci fi. I wouldn't mind seeing other top suggestions recommended that may tweek my interest.
  • JoeJoe Posts: 2,001Member ✭✭✭
    Agree I have access to prime through a blu-Ray player, the design is surprisingly bad for a massive company like amazon. Still it’s functional. 
    Oh you get there in the end, but its definitely not as simple and user friendly as the Netflix menu. And I've never seen anything thats as quick, simple and easy to use as a YouViews.
  • DanielDaniel Posts: 1,948Member ✭✭✭
    Just to update once my change went through 1 box that had prime kept it. The other lost it I have tried the usual resets and update players and apps it hasn't came back however I'm not bothered as this box don't see regular use anyway.
  • AshAsh Posts: 258Member
    Visionman said:
    Oh you get there in the end, but its definitely not as simple and user friendly as the Netflix menu. And I've never seen anything thats as quick, simple and easy to use as a YouViews.
    Or now TV is for that matter. One thing that you can say about Netflix and NowTV is that they seem to understand that the UI used for gaining access to the content is just as important as the content itself something which I'm not sure Amazon understands. So I have to agree with @Joe earlier comment