Where does YouView get its time from?

steve23094steve23094 Posts: 63Member
edited 14 March 2019, 10:32PM in Support
I have a retail Humax T-1000 that’s going to be retired in the future.  I want to keep it for a little bit longer because it still has some recordings on it I want to watch.  It’s not currently connected to an antenna and it’s not possible to do so.

I notice the (empty) program guide has completely the wrong time and date set.  The box is sending out tens of thousands of requests to the following time servers: 0.youview.pool.ntp.org, 1.youview.pool.ntp.org, 2.youview.pool.ntp.org and 3.youview.ntp.org.

Why is this happening?

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,491Member ✭✭✭
    edited 11 March 2019, 11:51PM

Where does YouView get it’s time from?

Both the Guide (EPG) and the time are supplied over the internet.

Sorry about the bold. No attempts to change it were successful.
  • steve23094steve23094 Posts: 63Member
    edited 11 March 2019, 11:31PM
    Any idea why it’s continuously polling and never successful?  Come to think of it... the EPG is blank, so that’s not working either.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,205Member ✭✭✭
    edited 11 March 2019, 11:51PM
    Where does YouView get its time from?

Both the Guide (EPG) and the time are supplied over the internet.

@Visionman, when editing replies like the above, press the little </> symbol at the far right of the formatting/smileys/links etc. line. This will reveal the HTML causing the Bold and the large font, and allow you to edit them out.

Spurious apostrophe’s still need manual removal however.
    Deploying my talents elsewhere now
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,491Member ✭✭✭
    edited 11 March 2019, 11:53PM
    Any idea why it’s continuously polling and never successful?  Come to think of it... the EPG is blank, so that’s not working either.

Is it connected to the internet? If not thats why.
    Can you use any of the Players? I’m thinking that your T1000 simply can’t see the internet.

And if it could, it would likely show the right time, and go back to asking for it only once in a while, from one time server, instead of the request storm you have now.
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,297Member ✭✭✭
    Roy said:
    Ha!
    edited 12 March 2019, 9:58AM
    jonesh said:
    Roy said:
    Ha!
    You spotted it  :smile:

I’m off to the greengrocer’s this morning....

Apostrophes are a nightmare, having as they do three jobs, one to indicate possession (the greengrocer’s shop), one to indicate elision - contraction - (the greengrocer’s in, to shorten ‘the greengrocer is in’), and one to indicate quotation, though you can tell those as they are paired.

With ‘it’ there is a special trap for the unwary, as ‘it’s’ is the elision for ‘it is’, and the possessive is ‘its’, a possessive that has no apostrophe, just to confuse everyone.

What it never does is indicate a plural, though it is modified by plurality (e.g. the greengrocers’ get-together) which moves the apostrophe after the ‘s’ when there are several greengrocers involved.

There are other possessives besides ‘it’s’ that don’t have an apostrophe, e.g. ‘your’, which should not be confused with ‘you’re’, the elision of ‘you are’, ‘their’ and ‘they’re’, and so on.

And people can argue for days over whether I went down to St. James Infirmary, or to St. James’s Infirmary, or to St. James’ Infirmary, though I prefer the latter, where a non-plural ending in ‘s’ just has the apostrophe tacked on.

But I’m sure people can come up with exceptions or examples I haven’t thought of above....
  • sevansevan Posts: 40Member
    edited 12 March 2019, 9:19AM
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,297Member ✭✭✭
    edited 12 March 2019, 2:57PM
    Roy said:
    jonesh said:
    Roy said:
    Ha!
    You spotted it  :smile:

It wasnt difficult.

I’m off to the greengrocer’s this morning....

Your welcome.

Apostrophes are a nightmare, having as they do three jobs, one to indicate possession (the greengrocer’s shop), one to indicate elision - contraction - (the greengrocer’s in, to shorten ‘the greengrocer is in’), and one to indicate quotation, though you can tell those as they are paired.

With ‘it’ there is a special trap for the unwary, as ‘it’s’ is the elision for ‘it is’, and the possessive is ‘its’, a possessive that has no apostrophe, just to confuse everyone.

What it never does is indicate a plural, though it is modified by plurality (e.g. the greengrocers’ get-together) which moves the apostrophe after the ‘s’ when there are several greengrocers involved.

There are other possessives besides ‘it’s’ that don’t have an apostrophe, e.g. ‘your’, which should not be confused with ‘you’re’, the elision of ‘you are’, ‘their’ and ‘they’re’, and so on.

And people can argue for days over whether I went down to St. James Infirmary, or to St. James’s Infirmary, or to St. James’ Infirmary, though I prefer the latter, where a non-plural ending in ‘s’ just has the apostrophe tacked on.

But I’m sure people can come up with exceptions or examples I haven’t thought of above....

Are you suggesting that I dont know that stuff?
    :)
    According to the box settings it’s connected to the internet.  It’s also showing up on my router.  But the players don’t work either.  I have tried rebooting stuff.

Another problem.  Despite smart mode being switched on in the settings, my box is cold booting every time.

I’m wondering if this is all an early sign of failure.  Before I write it off though I’ll try a full reset.
    According to the box settings it’s connected to the internet.  It’s also showing up on my router.  But the players don’t work either.  I have tried rebooting stuff.

Another problem.  Despite smart mode being switched on in the settings, my box is cold booting every time.

I’m wondering if this is all an early sign of failure.  Before I write it off though I’ll try a full reset.
    The usual failure mode at this point is that the box doesn’t just cold boot, but actually puts itself into Maintenance Mode, because it knows there is something wrong.

So it looks like yours doesn’t know there’s something wrong. I’m not sure if that’s better or worse  :p

But in your circumstances, I would try a Maintenance Mode Option 2 (keep recordings, refresh the software from a backup copy on the box).

And if that restores internet connectivity, then an MM4 to fully refresh the software.

And a full Factory Reset only if the steps above don’t bring back internet connectivity, or don’t cure the constant cold rebooting.

Might take a little longer than a full Factory Reset, but if you have any recordings you want to keep, the above may preserve these for you, while still allowing the cold booting to be fixed. Perhaps.
    edited 19 April 2019, 10:30AM
    At this stage I can’t even get into maintenance mode.  Powering up from cold or warm gets the same result.  It just boots.

Tried pressing power then volume quickly.  Tried holding my finger on volume then pressing power.  Tried holding volume for five seconds.  Tried holding volume for longer than five seconds until something other than boot happens.

EDIT: NVM.  With thorough error checking I established the fault was present in the meat bag on the end of the device.
    I figured it out.

I had changed my DNS to my VPN provider’s servers.  I hadn’t noticed at first but I later discovered one of the other devices on my network was also having problems polling a time server.  The reason I didn’t immediately jump to the conclusion that it was a DNS issue was that all my other devices were operating fine.

After digging around it transpires that my VPN provider’s DNS only supports TCP, and some devices have problems with DNS over TCP, preferring UDP.  A T1010 is obviously one of those.

Solution: changed my DNS to Cloudflare.