Can't get channels 101 - 105 HD when box is on.

Mark55Mark55 Posts: 5Member
Purchased a new Samsung TV last week, now when the Humax T2100 is in the on mode I can't receive Hd channels 101 - 105 using the TV tuner,  when I put the Humax in the stand by mode I can then get them fine, all other channels work whether the box is on or off, any ideas.  Thank you.
P.S before the new TV it worked fine.

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 14,929Member ✭✭✭
    edited 13 March 2019, 7:07AM
    How is it wired? Are you using passthrough, with a further aerial lead from RF out on the YouView box to the TV, or what?

Can you get these HD channels on the YouView box OK?

Try a soft reset on the YouView box- while not recording nor about to, touch the On/Standy button on the T2100 (it’s on the top I think, but ICBW) for just over 8 seconds, until the box reboots.

This is entirely non-destructive, except to quirky software problems that these boxes exhibit from time to time, of which this may be an example.

Do let us know how you get on!
    Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?
  • ukstevesuksteves Posts: 11Member
    How is the signal strength usually on those channels?  I had an issue where all the COM7 and COM8 channels only worked with the YouView box in standby.  Turned out it was interference from the HDMI lead that connects the YouView box to the TV.  Try disconnecting the HDMI lead from the back of the YouView box and see if the channels come back?  Rerouting the HDMI cable away from the aerial lead made a difference for me.
  • Mark55Mark55 Posts: 5Member
    edited 13 March 2019, 2:57PM
    uksteves said:
    How is the signal strength usually on those channels?  I had an issue where all the COM7 and COM8 channels only worked with the YouView box in standby.  Turned out it was interference from the HDMI lead that connects the YouView box to the TV.  Try disconnecting the HDMI lead from the back of the YouView box and see if the channels come back?  Rerouting the HDMI cable away from the aerial lead made a difference for me.

Thanks for that, I did try what Roy said and did a soft reset, but that did not sort it out, just unplugged the HDMI cable and the HD channels on the TV work, so it seems interference from the HDMI cable, I will have to unmount the TV and try a different cable or reroute it.  Thanks for the help, can now stop scratching my head, just seems odd that it only effects channels 101 to 105.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,265Member ✭✭✭
    No need for that. Just buy a shielded HDMI cable and that should sort it. They cost about a fiver.
    Mark55 said:
    uksteves said:

Thanks for that, I did try what Roy said and did a soft reset, but that did not sort it out, just unplugged the HDMI cable and the HD channels on the TV work, so it seems interference from the HDMI cable, I will have to unmount the TV and try a different cable or reroute it.  Thanks for the help, can now stop scratching my head, just seems odd that it only effects channels 101 to 105.
    Each mux is running down that aerial cable at its particular frequency, and 101-105 are on the same mux, so it’s likely that your leaky HDMI cable is resonating in that frequency band or an exact sub-multiple of it, and so disrupting that signal, but not those from other muxes.

While HDMI cables either work or they don’t, as regards the signal they are carrying, with an infinitesimal niche where you might get sparkles, some are better than others as regards mechanical construction and shielding.

But as @Visionman says, no need to pay monster prices to get good ones.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,265Member ✭✭✭
    edited 13 March 2019, 5:58PM
    "But as @Visionman says, no need to pay monster prices to get good ones."

I see what you did there!   :D
  • Mark55Mark55 Posts: 5Member
    edited 13 March 2019, 6:13PM
    I'm sure Ive got a shielded HDMI  in the loft that came with a TV mount, only problem is the cables are in a channel in the wall and will be a pig to swop over, but needs must, might have to do a bit of wallpapering after.  Thanks for the help.

P.S just tried a different HDMI cable that I put in the wall channel when I first did it, 101 -105 channels work better but the picture breaks up, so I will have to redo with another HDMI cable.
    edited 14 March 2019, 7:37AM
    Hopefully you followed the rule of thumb that any channel should be twice as big as you could conceivably want it?   :p

If so, you may be able to drop a plumb bob from top to bottom, fasten a new HDMI cable to it, and draw it back up without having to open the channel.

I’m guessing that the onward aerial cable to the TV is running in the same channel? If so, that probably gives several feet where the two cables are in intimate contact, with ample opportunity to exchange electrical interference.

And if the channel is metal-lined, you have a perfect storm there.

it may be worth looking at the aerial cable as well as the HDMI one - ensure the grounding to the plugs is intact at both ends, and maybe consider replacing the cable with the highest quality, best shielded, RF cable you can get.