Cold feet

GoodbyeGoodbye Posts: 152Member
November 2017 big fanfare that sky and bt had kissed and made up and would now be sharing content. For youview that meant now TV would offer more then just movies. Fast forward and the silence is deafening, no roll out date or will it be bt TV only or would retail get a look in. Has the Comcast takeover muddied the water's?

Comments

• scottscott Posts: 1,966Member ✭✭✭
    edited 17 March 2019, 7:55AM
    NowTV will be coming to BT boxes before the 2019/20 football season (so anytime between now and August - probably closer to August) and they will be recordable.

https://tv.bt.com/tv/tv-from-bt/bt-and-sky-agree-supply-of-market-leading-tv-channels-on-each-others-platforms-11364237076521

as for Retail YouView that is a bit harder, they have not announced anything and they still haven’t got amazon, so with BT agreeing a both way deal (BT Sports wholesaled to sky) it could well mean it won’t happen on retail. I think the best chance is if the player is updated which might allow that to happen on retail.
  • GoodbyeGoodbye Posts: 152Member
    edited 16 March 2019, 8:03PM
    Why would you start a reply like that?. This is by far the most confrontational forum l visit. 
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,375Member ✭✭✭
    scott said:
     I think the best chance is if the player is updated which might allow that to happen on retail.

What do you mean scott?
    edited 17 March 2019, 7:56AM
    If you read the link again you will see that link was updated in January 2019. It is everywhere about NowTV coming this year for the new football season.
    Try this for another -

https://www.mynewsdesk.com/uk/bt/pressreleases/sky-and-bt-extend-partnership-in-uk-and-ireland-2786026

@visionman I meant if the NowTV player was updated to reflect the player on nearly every other platform that has the full NowTV suite (we know it was updated to a html5 version recently) instead of just the movies in SD :(
    Obviously if BT is stating they will be recordable they will not be able to just follow the standard apps so will be done a different way which could possibly be a way retail could get it without being the same as BT’s offering.
    All just guesswork but I am certain YouView will not let us into any plans until they are ready to release anything so we might as well all put our own views into the pot :)
    My own view is I agree with you. All the press releases have leaned towards it will be a BT exclusive, without actually stating it. Its the technical delivery that fascinates me. If they put Now TVs channels onto and into the Guide that means they will be multicast, so no news there. But if they enable recording via the Now TV Player they will be unicast, which is news. Because it would mean that finally after all these years YouView will have been finally able to deliver recordable unicast content, which is a goal they have been working towards for years and would have big (positive) implications for all the platform. 
    edited 16 March 2019, 8:02PM
    Eh?
    youpoo said:
    I take the recording thing with a massive pinch of salt. 

What do you mean? That they are lying? 
    edited 16 March 2019, 8:01PM
    No
    Different markets. If you want the full NowTV channels it will cost you over £50 a month for 720p 25fps stereo content. You could get a deal on sky q for similar price and much better quality, so they are hardly giving it away. For the casual dip in dip out NowTV is a good option. The sky content is already recordable on a talk talk boost is it not.
    youpoo said:
    No not at all. It just appeared in the Initial hype and suddenly it was an expectation.  But honestly why would sky the master's of squeezing money out of people give away it's usp.

Why do you think being able to record something, which all DVRs can do, is Skys USP? Because thats not correct. Its not anyones USP. Its a feature available via many platforms and boxes and has been for years.
    edited 16 March 2019, 7:44PM
    I'm sorry but your posts are coming across as nonsensical. You started by declaring one thing, "silence is deafening" then switched to another, "I take the recording thing with a massive pinch of salt" and now switched it to a third. Do you ultimately have a point?
    This forum will never flourish until respect and tolerance return. 
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,133Member ✭✭✭
    Goodbye said:
    This forum will never flourish until respect and tolerance return. 
    And changing your previous offensive moniker was a step in the right direction...
    Where do all those characters that you type in search boxes and which never appear go to?
     Changed it to goodbye as I no longer wish to contribute to this forum. It really is uninviting and openly hostile. One can only guess at the amount of potential  contributors scared off by the uncalled nasty remarks that seem obligatory......

The only reason I'm replying to you Roy is I have owned a youview box for many year's and never knew about the surround sound option,  literally just changed from stereo to it and theirs definitely a improvement.  Just letting you know you're a asset and a great help to many so will definitely keep looking in for your pearls of wisdom 
  • DarrenDarren Posts: 277Member ✭✭
    edited 16 March 2019, 10:51PM
    Anyone know if you will be able to watch Now TV on another device when the full Now TV comes to BT Youview boxes. Like if I take Now TV via BT TV for the entertainment pass could I maybe be able watch it on my sisters Apple TV 2nd Gen box when I stay at her house at lest one weekend every 4 or 5 weeks when im watching her dogs while shes away for that weekend.
    I will see what the cost is before I decide if I want Now TV via BT TV or not. I do watch sport but not enough per month to be paying for it. Im at times more in to TV shows and TV box sets. I do like to watch a movie at lest 2 or 3 times a month.

Darren
    edited 17 March 2019, 9:53AM
    Goodbye said:
     Changed it to goodbye as I no longer wish to contribute to this forum. It really is uninviting and openly hostile. One can only guess at the amount of potential  contributors scared off by the uncalled nasty remarks that seem obligatory......

The only reason I'm replying to you Roy is I have owned a youview box for many year's and never knew about the surround sound option,  literally just changed from stereo to it and theirs definitely a improvement.  Just letting you know you're a asset and a great help to many so will definitely keep looking in for your pearls of wisdom 
    Thanks @Goodbye

Personally, I think @Scott was being observational, rather than confrontational, and you took rather too much umbrage. And I see he has now removed that line.

It’s a hazard of remarks on forums that tone and nuance can get ‘lost in translation’, though, and misunderstandings arise.

But you have to look at your own end of things also; you join the forum with the name ‘youpoo’. “Ah”, we think (or I did anyway), “someone who thinks YouView is a pile of poo”.

So straight off the bat, a seemingly hostile attitude, and one that denizens of the forum prepare to defend against.

Now, maybe that’s a misunderstanding, and not how you intended ‘youpoo’ to be interpreted at all. But it was, and here you have the consequences.

Of course, you are perfectly entitled to call YouView a pile of poo 💩 and indeed there are bits of it I only want to handle with metaphorical rubber gloves, but you raise the bar straight away, and you have to be supergood and superaccurate in what you say, or folks here will chip away at it.

i can’t help thinking that if you had called yourself ‘Fluffy’, say, things might have been different. Even though that was a fierce three-headed dog.....  :p
    Where do all those characters that you type in search boxes and which never appear go to?
    edited 17 March 2019, 10:43AM
    Roy you are spot on. I was straight on the offensive because of the name and also the tone of his posts (not just in this thread) I apologise if that was too much and I have now removed the line (I don’t like the way you can go back and edit comments after later comments as I think it makes things difficult but seeing as the original poster has edited a lot of comments I thought I would do it). If you actually read (and between the lines) you will see I have given you a fair bit of the info you have asked (and some) but feel free to take it as you wish.
    Darren said:
    Anyone know if you will be able to watch Now TV on another device when the full Now TV comes to BT Youview boxes. Like if I take Now TV via BT TV for the entertainment pass could I maybe be able watch it on my sister’s Apple TV 2nd Gen box when I stay at her house at lest one weekend every 4 or 5 weeks when I’m watching her dogs while she’s away for that weekend.
    I will see what the cost is before I decide if I want Now TV via BT TV or not. I do watch sport but not enough per month to be paying for it. I’m at times more into TV shows and TV box sets. I do like to watch a movie at least 2 or 3 times a month.

Darren
    When you buy a NowTV pass, you can set up to watch on up to four devices, and watch on two at once.

So BT TV on a YouView box just becomes a further potential device that you can set up on.

Unless BT do a very special deal with NowTV for a non-standard Entertainment pass, that is; but I think that unlikely.

Note though that it looks to me as if it still won’t be full NowTV on BT YouView; the BT TV arrangements for Sky Sports don’t appear to be via a NowTV Sports pass, so it isn’t clear if the revised NowTV App/Player for YouView will support Sports passes or not, for those outside the BT TV fold.
  • Tim CTim C Posts: 396Member ✭✭
    Goodbye said:

I'm afraid I think there's some truth in this.
    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ and all that other OldGen good stuff that was promised to come back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ etc etc.., rather than the unnecessary & unasked for that does get added and serves no useful purpose? Give me optional lists as well :) ."
    edited 17 March 2019, 12:28PM
    scott said:
    Roy you are spot on. I was straight on the offensive because of the name and also the tone of his posts (not just in this thread) I apologise if that was too much and I have now removed the line (I don’t like the way you can go back and edit comments after later comments as I think it makes things difficult but seeing as the original poster has edited a lot of comments I thought I would do it). If you actually read (and between the lines) you will see I have given you a fair bit of the info you have asked (and some) but feel free to take it as you wish.
    Thanks @scott. I am all in favour of editing, but I would like to see some automatic indication that there has been an Edit, provided as part of YouView’s Vanilla configuration.

I simoly can’t get upset or excited about what NowTV you do or don’t get under what circumstances, though; our house bristles with enough low-cost or no-cost (when you redeem the passes they come with) NowTV sticks to make what our TVs or YouView boxes do or don’t offer for NowTV completely irrelevant.

Even our bedroom Samsung TV, which has NowTV on it as an app, sports a Stick, as we need the subtitles that the TV app version does not support.
    edited 18 March 2019, 9:21AM
    Tim C said:
    Goodbye said:

You are cordially invited to quote a single example where an innocent and inoffensive poster here has had their head bitten off, by anyone other than our past trolls, who themselves are summarily dealt with once detected.
    @Roy of course it is always dependant on what you want. Personally having all the sports channels available and recordable would be a benefit to what all the apps can offer for me (I know BT offer the main channel but this is to much of a risk of missing something) but it is still expensive without a pass deal.
    scott said:
    @Roy of course it is always dependant on what you want. Personally having all the sports channels available and recordable would be a benefit to what all the apps can offer for me (I know BT offer the main channel but this is to much of a risk of missing something) but it is still expensive without a pass deal.
    I suppose in fairness I should repeat that we have BT as our ISP, but not BT TV, and we are largely sport-blind, certainly not sport-sighted enough to pay for sport from anybody.

That may well make us unrepresentative of the YouView population generally, where any sport thread seems to excite pages of comment and speculation that generally I am (for once) silent about....
    scott said:

Thats something else I've been wondering. Will Sky allow pass deals if a user has a YouView box or only allow BT to offer full price only? Cannibalisation comes to mind here. 
    Tim C said:
    Goodbye said:

Unlike some others, which can be a sea of negativity, broadly speaking this is a very helpful forum with lots of knowledgeable users willing to do so and is often the 'go to' place to get help and find solutions. And by posting here the majority of users do.
    @dreamtime - you don't think this forum is helpful?
    Visionman said:
    @dreamtime - you don't think this forum is helpful?
    I’m sure he doesn’t - he does seem to be quite beyond help  :p
  • Tim CTim C Posts: 396Member ✭✭
    Visionman said:
    Tim C said:
    Goodbye said:

Unlike some others, which can be a sea of negativity, broadly speaking this is a very helpful forum with lots of knowledgeable users willing to do so and is often the 'go to' place to get help and find solutions. And by posting here the majority of users do.
    I agree with your comments here and I do think there's a lot of help to be got from this forum and I've never said otherwise.
    However, I think sometimes some members have posted unhelpful comments - that's the best way I can explain it - that can quite easily put off new and existing members from wanting to continue here.

“Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ and all that other OldGen good stuff that was promised to come back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ etc etc.., rather than the unnecessary & unasked for that does get added and serves no useful purpose? Give me optional lists as well :) ."
  • DarrenDarren Posts: 277Member ✭✭
    Roy said:
    Darren said:
    Anyone know if you will be able to watch Now TV on another device when the full Now TV comes to BT Youview boxes. Like if I take Now TV via BT TV for the entertainment pass could I maybe be able watch it on my sister’s Apple TV 2nd Gen box when I stay at her house at lest one weekend every 4 or 5 weeks when I’m watching her dogs while she’s away for that weekend.
    I will see what the cost is before I decide if I want Now TV via BT TV or not. I do watch sport but not enough per month to be paying for it. I’m at times more into TV shows and TV box sets. I do like to watch a movie at least 2 or 3 times a month.

Darren
    When you buy a NowTV pass, you can set up to watch on up to four devices, and watch on two at once.

So BT TV on a YouView box just becomes a further potential device that you can set up on.

Unless BT do a very special deal with NowTV for a non-standard Entertainment pass, that is; but I think that unlikely.

Note though that it looks to me as if it still won’t be full NowTV on BT YouView; the BT TV arrangements for Sky Sports don’t appear to be via a NowTV Sports pass, so it isn’t clear if the revised NowTV App/Player for YouView will support Sports passes or not, for those outside the BT TV fold.
    Thanks for the info Roy.

Darren
    Darren said:
    Roy said:
    Darren said:

Darren

Thanks for the info Roy.

Darren

I don't agree with Roy about the sports ;)