Sony and Youview

aminfordaminford Posts: 4Member
I have just purchased a Sony 43xf8505bu 43" 4khdr Android telly.  Youview doesn't load information for all channels, in particular for the channels that we watch all the time - e.g BBC/ITV/Four.

We have tried all the fixes we've seen described including a factory reset with no success.  This makes the telly pretty much useless.

Before we go to the hassle of returning the unit to the retailer does anyone know if there will be a fix for this in the future?  

Thank you.

Comments

• Bernard StayBernard Stay Posts: 25Member
    Do you have a freestanding YouView box? If so HDMI connect this to the Sony and use that. Then disable the Sony inbuilt YouView. You dont need that, and if it is enabled you won't be able to Record on the Sony or use Satellite channels etc.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,197Member ✭✭✭
    Do you have a freestanding YouView box? If so HDMI connect this to the Sony and use that. Then disable the Sony inbuilt YouView. You dont need that, and if it is enabled you won't be able to Record on the Sony or use Satellite channels etc.
    Disabling instructions - Android Specific FAQs 1.

This will put you on the Freeview side of the box, where the EPG works, and you can record to HDD.

And, if you have a satellite dish, you can tune in a range of satellite channels, though it isn’t Freesat, so just a Now & Next Programme Guide.

All work whether you have a YouView box to connect or not.

You lose the itv and All4 Players, though, so if you don’t have a YouView box, you will need to find alternatives.

Hoshsadiq (Google him) may be your friend if so.
    Where do all those characters that you type in search boxes and which never appear go to?
  • SarahSarah Posts: 1,082Administrator admin
    Hi @aminford

Welcome to the forum :) 

Just to confirm, can you let us know if you have the aerial plugged and ethernet cable into the TV and you have attempted a retune? It'd also be useful to know if you are able to watch the content on any of these channels if you tune to them. 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Roy
    A minor PS: it's a bit misleading to say 'it isn't Freesat.' I use my Sony very happily as a 'Freesat' set. I just get a lot of unneeded channels which my dish can see and the Freesat channels just have different numbering, but as I generally view only a couple of dozen or so channels this is no hardship. In any case where would you find a modest sized Smart genuine Freesat set with anything like the brilliant Sony display these days?

• VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,424Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @Bernard Stay - Sony don't have a Licence for Freesat (as its copyright). As is the term 'Freeview'. So what you get are thousands of Sat channels in a jumbled mess in no logical order.
  • aminfordaminford Posts: 4Member
    Hi Sarah, yes we can view all the channels - the guide just doesn't load for all the channels, the telly is on wifi and we have an aerial plugged in. We retuned about 4 times, powered off telly, factory reset telly, thrown it out the window (that one is a joke).  
    @roy we have a SVR-HDT-1000 box on the HDMI port. It is connected with the IR blaster (get me with all this new technology!) - so you reckon we should just use that and disable YouView?
    @roy it doesn't matter that we can't see all4 as that errors too at the moment with 'All4-011:This content is currently unavailable. Please try again later'.

We ended up watching telly on my iPhone last night  - how mad is that, just spent nearly £1000 on a new telly.
    edited 3 April 2019, 5:39PM
    Roy
    A minor PS: it's a bit misleading to say 'it isn't Freesat.' I use my Sony very happily as a 'Freesat' set. I just get a lot of unneeded channels which my dish can see and the Freesat channels just have different numbering, but as I generally view only a couple of dozen or so channels this is no hardship. In any case where would you find a modest sized Smart genuine Freesat set with anything like the brilliant Sony display these days?

It’s very misleading to say it is Freesat, and it would be a breach of the Trades Descriptions Act for any retailer who claimed it for these Sony sets.

A satellite tuner doth not a Freesat set make; as I was at pains to point out, the Guide is just Now & Next, whereas Freesat gives you a full 24/7 EPG.

In effect, Freesat is that EPG, and all the differences of which channels are on there, and how they are numbered, that you describe just go to prove my point.

If you aren’t sure whether to believe me or not about the importance of the distinction, though, it’s worth a trip to the Sony Android forum, where you will find various howls of protest from those who thought they were getting Freesat, but didn’t look closely enough, and from those who aver they were actually told in the shop it was Freesat, and want to return the set because of that.

As to your last question, here are 30 to choose from....and none of them encumbered by the tragedy that is the Android TV OS  :p
    Where do all those characters that you type in search boxes and which never appear go to?
    Roy
    I don't want to prolong this, but if going for another maker be very sure to view the set first. I first replaced my old Panasonic with a recent Smart version. Panasonic sets are now made abroad under licence. This turned out to have a pitiful picture viewable only from within a narrow cone of +/- 5º. outside of which the picture became a ghost of itself. It had to go back. In contrast the Sony screen is brilliant over a wide angle of view, at least +/- 50º.
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,424Member ✭✭✭
    They still don't have Freesat, Bernard.
    edited 3 April 2019, 10:28PM
    aminford said:
    @roy it doesn't matter that we can't see all4 as that errors too at the moment with 'All4-011:This content is currently unavailable. Please try again later'.

We ended up watching telly on my iPhone last night  - how mad is that, just spent nearly £1000 on a new telly.
    Taking your posts in order:-

The failure of the YouView EPG to load correctly on Sony Android TVs is a current problem and an acknowledged bug, and is being investigated.

Therefore it should get fixed in time, but we don’t have a timescale.

The Sony SVR will probably be a more versatile recorder than the one built in to these sets, but I don’t think it will get you any further forward as regards Players and Apps, as Sony historically have not had licences for the itv hub and All4, except on their new non-Android Freeview Play sets.

I always recommend a NowTV Stick or box, or the more expensive but more versatile Roku devices the NowTV devices are cut-down clones of. This will give you all the Players, hopefully working, via an HDMI connection to your TV that will give a rather larger picture than an iPhone screen  :p

You don’t have to subscribe to NowTV on it, of course, but that is the one service missing from these Sony Android TVs; and if you don’t subscribe, how will you get your fix of GoT?  :D

All4 spends its life breaking on different devices from release to release; that’s why we have about four different ways of getting it, Samsung TV, YouView box, NowTV Stick, Amazon Stick; and we use whichever ones are working at the moment.
    edited 3 April 2019, 10:26PM
    Roy
    I don't want to prolong this, but if going for another maker be very sure to view the set first. I first replaced my old Panasonic with a recent Smart version. Panasonic sets are now made abroad under licence. This turned out to have a pitiful picture viewable only from within a narrow cone of +/- 5º. outside of which the picture became a ghost of itself. It had to go back. In contrast the Sony screen is brilliant over a wide angle of view, at least +/- 50º.
    Oh, I agree Sony have a good picture, and can squeeze more performance out of the LG OLED screens they use than even LG themselves can.

Panasonic I don’t know about - we are an all-Samsung family, though we might abandon them for LG OLED next year, if we switch, unless Samsung finally get QLED with the same inky blacks and no clouding. But nobody’s 2019 sets have HDMI 2.1, which will be a game-changer, and that’s a disappointment.

And there is nothing substantive our 2015 Samsung can’t do that today’s sets can, except be an OLED. Whereas right from the get-go, this set thrashed the 2015 Sony Android set we were trying to use, on usability and even picture quality.

I doubt Sony LCD sets have outrun Samsung’s since either, and there are no small (<50 in) OLEDs yet from anybody.