upgrading a BT YouView Box

comengtractcomengtract Posts: 3Member
Is it possible to change the current 500Gb 2.5inch HDD for a larger 1TB+ M.2 drive?
Would i need to format the new drive in a particular fashion/ way?
I have noticed that there is a large amount of heat coming from the processor chip etc, has anyone tried an alternative method of heat dissipation to mitigate this problem?

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 15,197Member ✭✭✭
    @comengtract

You can straightforwardly swap the drive, as long as it is physically compatible, and the box will then take care of all the formatting for you.

Though whether you will end up with a 1TB drive, rather than it being reformatted to the 500 GB you presently have, is in the lap of the gods.

But try it, you have nothing to lose, as you can always slot the old one back in and find another use for the 1TB drive elsewhere.

As regards the heat, it is impossible to be more specific without knowing which of the seven BT YouView box models you have, so can you please let us know this?
    Where do all those characters that you type in search boxes and which never appear go to?
  • comengtractcomengtract Posts: 3Member
    I have the latest version of the BT YouView box (Model Code: 91-00438).
    The problem I have is that the Large heatsink starts to give an accessive amount of heat and thus starts to effect performance. I am thinking of replacing the heatsink with a larger one or use a low profile heatsink/ fan combo cooler to help sort out this issue(s).
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,197Member ✭✭✭
    I have the latest version of the BT YouView box (Model Code: 91-00438).
    The problem I have is that the Large heatsink starts to give an accessive amount of heat and thus starts to effect performance. I am thinking of replacing the heatsink with a larger one or use a low profile heatsink/ fan combo cooler to help sort out this issue(s).
    I didn’t recognise that as a YouView model code - what we normally use is of the form DTR-T4000 / 87B08500, the Model Name for the latest box, though it does seem to come up on the labels of the earlier, though still current, T2100.

Is there a fan in there, and if so, does it ever run? Obviously heat sinks are meant to get hot - it’s their job - but never so hot as to affect performance.

What form does this affecting take?
    Where do all those characters that you type in search boxes and which never appear go to?
  • LukеLukе Posts: 26Member
     91-00438 is the Humax model code for the DTR-2100.