MyTalkTalk ViewBox

RimabaRimaba Posts: 1Member
recently, i changed from TalkTalk to NowTV and TalkTalk sent me a plastic Bag to return ALL my TalkTalk equipent with two methods of Free return Service Labels. Is it legally binding in their Terms and Conditions that this equipment should STILL be returned?
I ask, because I have been following the discusion, about the Myview Box, STILL being able to be used. Giving you access to a few Apps, including Netflix and the BBC Player for On Demand and Catchup programmes.
On NowTV, as my provider, I have to purchase a Smart Box or Stick to get these Apps. You are supplied, as standard, ONLY a router with two ethernet connectors. One to My desktop PC and the other to my TV. My TV is NOT a smart TV. Ahhh!!  I got NO signal and was informed That I needed a Smart TV? A friend  informed me that if I kept my Youview Box, that this would do the trick?
HOW DOi stand legally?

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 15,052Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 April 2019, 2:25PM
    Greetings, Rimaba, and welcome to the Community!

Your TalkTalk YouView box is yours to keep, unless it was replaced by TalkTalk as faulty, after the first, fully guaranteed, year, in which case they reserve the right to reclaim it.

Both TalkTalk and BT, though, carry out the rather reprehensible trick of not making the situation clear, and sending out return packs that they want you to put your legally owned equipment in and send back to them. If challenged, they will explain this is an ecological ‘service’ to those who no longer want their boxes. Which they do not manfully strive to make clear in any way though.

I wonder why on Earth not?  :p

As regards NowTV, their forum is full of bewildered posters who were expecting a free NowTV Stick or box when taking NowTV broadband. This is something that NowTV make clear, in fairness to them, but perhaps ought to make even clearer.

As those with a smart TV may already have the NowTV app somewhere, NowTV don’t bump up their broadband price needlessly by supplying what might be an unneeded device.

And their app on your PC will be free...

But as long as your non-Smart TV is new enough to have HDMI inputs, you don’t need to buy a Smart TV, and buying a NowTV Stick and plugging that in to the TV will be comfortably all you need do. With a two-month Entertainment Pass, this is currently £14.99 everywhere; and the passes alone are worth £10 or more.

Currently, NowTV on YouView boxes is Movies-only, though this is set to change in the future. But what might not change is that NowTV is SD-Quality only on YouView boxes; not even the 720i ‘HD-ready’ of their devices.

Pop down to Curry’s and get a Stick; you will be glad you did. It is WiFi, so the rather mizzy two ports on the router can cover your PC and your YouView box. Which, as you suspect, is probably your legal property, and will keep working perfectly well as a ‘retail’ YouView box if you can keep TalkTalk’s clutching mitts off it. Just note that anything recorded from a TalkTalk boost won’t play any more, and box updates will still be on the TalkTalk schedule, no matter who your ISP may change to.

And if you need more ports than that, Curry’s will be delighted to sell you a small Ethernet switch for under £20.  (‘Switch’ is a bit of a misnomer - it’s more of a distributor, so everything plugged into it can work at the same time). Makes the mizzy two-port router into a six (£13) or nine (£18) port one, with just one extra very short Ethernet cable needed.

Good shopping 🛍!
    Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?
  • Tim CTim C Posts: 394Member ✭✭
    Unless I wanted anything that was specific to NowTV I'd just use the Youview box for catch-up, iPlayer etc rather than buying anything else.
    “Where’s ‘Jump to Time’ and all that other OldGen good stuff that was promised to come back, including the proper ‘Hide Channels’ etc etc.., rather than the unnecessary & unasked for that does get added and serves no useful purpose? Give me optional lists as well :) ."
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,334Member ✭✭✭
    Rimaba said:
    recently, i changed from TalkTalk to NowTV and TalkTalk sent me a plastic Bag to return ALL my TalkTalk equipent with two methods of Free return Service Labels. Is it legally binding in their Terms and Conditions that this equipment should STILL be returned?
    If you have completed your initial (first) term of contract the box is yours with no fees to pay.
    If less and you want to keep it you'll have to pay an equipment cost. But no, you don't have to return it.
    Tim C said:
    Unless I wanted anything that was specific to NowTV I'd just use the Youview box for catch-up, iPlayer etc rather than buying anything else.
    Good thought. And even Movies is on YouView, so only if @Rimaba wanted Entertainment or Sport would she need a NowTV Stick.

But with GoT in the offing, and £5 getting you up from SD to HD Ready picture quality, who wouldn’t?  :p
    edited 6 April 2019, 10:35PM
    Visionman said:
    Rimaba said:
    If you have completed your initial (first) term of contract the box is yours with no fees to pay.
    If less and you want to keep it you'll have to pay an equipment cost. But no, you don't have to return it.
    But as I was at some pains to explain, this is not true if TalkTalk replaced your box for you after the first year - in that case, they regard it as theirs to take back if they wish.

Not something that BT do, though, as far as I know.

But outside of that (important) caveat, yes, it is your property.

And even with BT, and no doubt TalkTalk the same, that there are fees to pay does not affect or condition the box from being your property, once the right (and indeed, duty) of return during the short initial cooling-off period is over.

You may owe them money, but the box is indubitably yours.
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Posts: 123Member ✭✭
    If you want to know for sure, post in the Talktalk forum and an OCE will let you know, depending on your circumstances. 

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/TalkTalk-TV/bd-p/116
  • Merlin007Merlin007 Posts: 3Member
    Does the talk talk Youview box have to be plugged into a talk talk broadband to work ? Or will it work plugged into any other broadband. 
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Posts: 123Member ✭✭
    Any broadband supplier.