Android app won't connect on Huawei P30 with Android 9

Bruce ClarkeBruce Clarke Posts: 15Member
The Android app (version 11.2.2.3) works superbly on my HTC 10 running Android 8 with my Humax DTR T2000. I've just got a Huawei P30 which runs EMUI 9.1 on Android 9. This refused to connect with the Humax box with error YVM5010. I disconnected the HTC 10 first, and tried rebooting the Humax, but it looks like an incompatibility with Android 9? Ar any updates in the works?

Comments

• joneshjonesh Posts: 1,281Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 April 2019, 10:46PM
    ~ it looks like an incompatibility with Android 9?
    The app works on my Android 9 Sony Xperia phone.

• Bruce ClarkeBruce Clarke Posts: 15Member
    jonesh said:

Thanks, it maybe the Huawei EMUI 9.1 additions. I think the Sony changes to Android are fairly light?
    jonesh said:

Thanks, it maybe the Huawei EMUI 9.1 additions. I think the Sony changes to Android are fairly light?
    I wondered if it might be something like that, but at least you know that the problem isn't Android 9 in itself.
    Presumably you've tried all the obvious stuff.
    jonesh said:
    jonesh said:

I wondered if it might be something like that, but at least you know that the problem isn't Android 9 in itself.
    Yes, useful, but one of the disadvantages of Android, with so many variants! Yes, tried all those thanks. I haven't checked the box software version for a while, but it's set up to update automatically.
    edited 8 April 2019, 6:04PM
    There have been one or two threads about this problem in the last few months. Following the steps suggested in this post by @Johnnysod might provide a solution.
    jonesh said:
    jonesh said:

Yes, useful, but one of the disadvantages of Android, with so many variants! Yes, tried all those thanks. I haven't checked the box software version for a while, but it's set up to update automatically.
    jonesh said:
    There have been one or two threads about this problem in the last few months. Following the steps suggested in this post by @Johnnysod might provide a solution.
    Hey, that worked! Thanks very much Jonesh, a clever discovery.
    edited 10 April 2019, 12:08AM
    Pleased that you got it working. Credit to @Johnnysod.
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,837Member ✭✭✭
    Kudos to all concerned. I wonder if simply turning off mobile data temporarily would have the same effect?
    redchiz said:
    I wonder if simply turning off mobile data temporarily would have the same effect?
    I think that it would.
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 765Member ✭✭✭
    Better still on Android, go into Settings > Connections > More Connection Settings > Download Booster > Off, since this is the root cause of the problem.

John.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,052Member ✭✭✭
    Anaglypta said:
    Better still on Android, go into Settings > Connections > More Connection Settings > Download Booster > Off, since this is the root cause of the problem.

John.
    Sounds plausible, but how did you figure that one, @Anaglypta?
    Does HDMI stand for Hardly Dare Mention It?
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Posts: 765Member ✭✭✭

Download Booster is what allows a compatible Android device to combine the use of a Mobile Data connection and your WIFI network to download files larger than 30 MB, using HTTP / HTTPS protocols. It does, however, seem to confuse some apps and protocols which can't quite determine which network they're on.
    Turning off the feature allowed my phone (Android 8) to pair to YouView without problem. Exactly what the problem is with the app and Download Booster I don't know though. :(

John.

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
    edited 11 April 2019, 9:59AM
    Thanks for that. It would also explain why the Flight Mode/WiFi On fix works.

My Android 5.1 phone pairs readily; it hasn’t even got Connections under Settings, that I can see, so no problem there  :p

Maybe it was introduced in a later Android version?
    Roy said:
    Thanks for that. It would also explain why the Flight Mode/WiFi On fix works.

My Android 5.1 phone pairs readily; it hasn’t even got Connections under Settings, that I can see, so no problem there  :p

Maybe it was introduced in a later Android version?
    I can't find the setting on my Android 9 phone, so it isn't an Android version thing.
    A quick bit of digging suggests it's a Samsung thing, so not a universal workaround for this issue.
    redchiz said:
    A quick bit of digging suggests it's a Samsung thing, so not a universal workaround for this issue.
    Then we have to wonder if the ability to turn it off is a Samsung-only thing, or whether the thing being turned off is a Samsung-only thing in the first place  :p
    Roy said:Then we have to wonder if the ability to turn it off is a Samsung-only thing, or whether the thing being turned off is a Samsung-only thing in the first place  :p
    Stop trying to twist my brain! In John's case obviously, but not with the OP's Huawei. I think!!
  • robin0800robin0800 Posts: 49Member
    On my phone its in developer options and says "Mobile data always active"
    "Always keep mobile data active even when wifi is active (for fast network switching)"
    Android 9
    Yeah, I think that is something different again though, did you have any issues connecting the app as per this topic?
  • robin0800robin0800 Posts: 49Member
    I don't know as I always turn it off as I assume that if using data this is chargable.
    I also turn off automatic scanning for the same reason.
    Very good, but has it affected your use of the YouView app at all?
    edited 12 April 2019, 2:03PM
    Thanks for all that (I think!) Pairing isn't something you need to do very often, so turning off data temporarily does the job. It sounds like the app should be updated to avoid the problem though, as many people won't find their way to this fix.