Adding BT TV to Retail Box

Hello. In the process of moving away from Sky and already have a retail Humax BT youview box (T2100 I think).

Trying to work out the cost involved in adding BT TV subscription channels. BT chat advisers have said it's possible but can't tell me how much. I already have BT infinity broadband.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

Trying to add a package on the BT website, it only offers me the option of BT supplying a box (which I don't need but could of course sell) and a £20 activation fee.

Then in order to add subscription channels e.g. "kids extra" I'd need to pay £5 per month for the BT TV "classic" package which seems to just be the freeview channels I get anyway - not sure what extra you get here? Then if I wanted to add the kids channels, another £5 a month, and then another £5 a month if we wanted to watch in another room via Fire TV. 

So all in £15 a month - does that sound about right? Or are there cheaper options if you own a retail box?

Comments

• scottscott Posts: 1,981Member ✭✭✭
    edited 9 April 2019, 2:36PM

All depends what you want really. It should be explained here

https://www.bt.com/tv/add/

The box is a no cost option so doesn't matter if you use yours or get one it costs the same (no brainer really).

Of course there are lots of little things like the minimum contract option, upfront cost and delivery cost but you should be able to add things from the BT site.

Your line speed will also matter depending on what options you want. The starter package only gives you Freeview and BT Sport (non recording box), Starter is same but with recording box, Entertainment adds some Extra channels and Max HD adds those channels in HD and Kids channels, but you can add all these separately as bolt on's on a rolling 1 month contract if you feel you wouldn't want them all the time.

You could of course just use your box as a retail box and just get freeview channels with recording ability for no cost.

• RoyRoy Posts: 15,197Member ✭✭✭
    edited 9 April 2019, 3:18PM
    Yes, are you sure you want any BT subscription channels? Coming from Sky, where everything costs, it’s easy to assume you are going to need some, but we manage perfectly well without.

BT Sport is a big draw for many people, but I notice you don’t even mention it, so perhaps you are sport-blind, like we are, except when Wimbledon is on, or one of the big sporting events anyway carried on the FTA terrestrial channels.

For the kids, there are both channels and dedicated Players; so you need to check out what BT actually provide here that you can get nowhere else; and the same is true of Entertainment.

You then need to look at what you still don’t get in any of those packages, but that you might want to budget for. Netflix and Amazon Prime are on the box, at the normal additional subscription costs they carry.

But NowTV is only Movies; that’s set to change, but probably not in time for GoT. However, a NowTV Stick is only £15 at the moment, with 2 month’s Entertainment thrown in, which would tide you over until you could get it on the box.

All with more stuff for kids as well; e.g. Ronja the Robber’s Daughter is a particularly  charming animated film from Studio Ghibli, available on Amazon Prime, and voiced there by English actors, so no subtitles needed.
    Where do all those characters that you type in search boxes and which never appear go to?
  • solarfusionsolarfusion Posts: 2Member
    scott said:

you can add all these separately as bolt on's on a rolling 1 month contract if you feel you wouldn't want them all the time.

You could of course just use your box as a retail box and just get freeview channels with recording ability for no cost.

From what I can tell it seems like I'd have to take out an 18 month contract for the basic package at a minimum of £5 a month before I can add on any monthly packages.

Already been looking at the NowTV route as Roy suggests so will probably go down that route.