The seamless nature of YouView

RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,476 ✭✭✭
On the NowTV forum, we are finding many messages like this one :- 

I’ve recently applied for now tv to watch game of thrones on my tv at home , I have the app and am signed in but the only pass that comes up is a sky cinema pass , which doesn’t include GOT on there , any ideas how I can watch it on my tv.

where we have learned to deduce that the user is actually talking about a YouView box, all of which currently only support the Movies pass, and advise them accordingly. (I’m a big fan of the NowTV Stick, but ‘other devices are available’).

But it’s fascinating, and a real feather in YouView’s cap, that the viewing experience is so seamless that users don’t need to distinguish between box and TV, and many don’t seem to.

I’m not sure, by the way, if the support issue is going to get better, or worsen, when some boxes do start supporting the whole of NowTV, as we will now have to differentiate between those that do and those that don’t.

But I lean towards improve, as many people will then simply not experience the difficulty; and those that do are likely to be retail purchasers, for whom the distinction between TV and YouView box is more informed by the separate purchase they had to make  :p
Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats

Comments

• Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 409 ✭✭
    I've suggested to YouView they get Now to put a flash across the app so it reads NowTv Cinema, to help avoid this issue with GOT, and other services not being available.
  • GoodbyeGoodbye Time out Posts: 336
    Yet
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭
    Roy said:
    But it’s fascinating, and a real feather in YouView’s cap, that the viewing experience is so seamless that users don’t need to distinguish between box and TV, and many don’t seem to.

I’m not sure, by the way, if the support issue is going to get better, or worsen, when some boxes do start supporting the whole of NowTV, as we will now have to differentiate between those that do and those that don’t.
    Stevef_fr8ys suggestion is a good one to list YouViews Now TV app as 'Now TV Sky Cinema Only' and would certainly cut out any enhanced confusion.

BTs YouView is believed to be shortly getting the full suite of Now TVs channels, including for the first time Sky Atlantic, which is no doubt part of the reciprocal deal for Sky for the first time getting wholesale access to BT Sport.

Personally I can't see an issue with BTs service expanding as TalkTalk has had Now TV for many years without impacting on the retail experience and I don't see that changing. As there have always been those that do and those that don't, only going forward that will shortly include BT. 
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,476 ✭✭✭
    @Visionman, you say ‘TalkTalk has had NowTV for many years.....’ Yes, same as Retail and BT, Movies only.

And no, it won’t impact on the Retail experience, except insofar as Retail users querying with NowTV why they haven’t got Entertainment or Sport, but not necessarily identifying themselves as Retail users (or as above, perhaps not even as YouView users) will shortly have to get a complicated spiel about which YouView boxes have full NowTV and which don’t, and it’s box-based not ISP-based, yada yada yada.... So it might impact in that way.

Also, it was a bit odd you singling out Sky Atlantic as a channel available for the first time. Is that because Sky Atlantic looms large in your life and/or you think it looms large in ours, but (say) Sky Arts doesn’t? Because all the NowTV Entertainment channels will be available for the first time on YouView, I think, not just Sky Atlantic.
    It would be nice just using the youview remote for sky entertainment etc but at the moment beyond content with the now TV stick which was virtually free with the entertainment pass anyway. 
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 April 2019, 5:59AM
    I would suggest visionman has singled out sky Atlantic because talktalk have had the sky boosts available for a while but that excluded sky Atlantic (which obviously has the new season of GoT on it at the minute).

You are both correct in that talktalk only had movies via NowTV BUT they have had the entertainment channels available as a boost option for years.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,476 ✭✭✭
    scott said:
    I would suggest visionman has singled out sky Atlantic because talktalk have had the sky boosts available for a while but that excluded sky Atlantic (which obviously has the new season of GoT on it at the minute).

You are both correct in that talktalk only had movies via NowTV BUT they have had the entertainment channels available as a boost option for years.
    Ah, got it, (or GoT it, as autocorrect suggested). So some of the Sky Entertainment channels have been available on YouView before.

But I can see that when someone is thinking ‘Hmm, I’d like some Sky Entertainment channels’, they are not going to switch to TalkTalk as their ISP, get a YouView box and buy boosts; they are going to get a NowTV Stick instead. And even TalkTalk YouView customers might do this anyway rather than buy boosts, as most of the good stuff is on Sky Atlantic.

I can see though, that for a lot of people it seems it would greatly help to cut down on the number of remotes they have to use, and/or to have NowTV Entertainment results included in the rubbish YouView Search.
    The only places you can view sky Atlantic is through a now tv entertainment pass and obviously  a sky subscription.  That's why all the good stuff (debatable, westworld anyone and don't start me on the woeful first two episodes of the final got season) is shown there.