Watch List seemingly not supported

Hey folks,

I’d been reading about the Watch List feature on this forum and checked a support article for a how-to, because it seemed like a nice thing to have, and something vaguely resembling bits of the “My Shows” feature on my old Virgin V6 box. But try as I might, I can’t seem to get my box to add things to a Watch List — the feature seems to not be there.

Is this something that’s dependant on the box you have? I have a BT T2100 — it used to be a family member’s when they subscribed to BT TV, but now it’s just a standard YouView box with no branding. Running the most recent software release, too. 

Comments

• Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Posts: 137Member ✭✭
    You can't manually add items to your watchlist.

The watchlist works by playing something on a catch-up app, and once you start to watch, it's added.

It also works on Now Cinema, which is good as the YouView version if the app has no watchlist itself.
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Posts: 137Member ✭✭
    Sorry, just remembered you can add via the Discover section by using the info button and adding to MyTv
  • jimbjimb Posts: 1,095Member ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately the BT T2100 doesn't have this feature  :(
  • averyisweirdaveryisweird Posts: 2Member
    jimb said:
    Unfortunately the BT T2100 doesn't have this feature  :(
    Thanks for clearing this up! That’s sad, but not the end of the world. D’you think they’ll add it in future?
  • John LJohn L Posts: 169Member
    Hi Averyisweirld, Welcome to the forum.
    "Hopefully" they will include Discover (eventually!). We have TWO BT2100's (which cost a fair amount of money to purchase happily working ok with the old software until 2017) that currently are still awaiting all the "old features" back. It's now 2 1/2 year since the changeover with software. Time is now marching on. The only boxes that has Discover feature (please correct me Roy if wrong!) are the T2000/4000 model plus also some Talktalk models inc DN372T.
    Averyisweird all I can say is contact Youview to discuss further. If more customers complained/expressed their concerns, then hopefully they will sort it/review future plans. It really is unfair in current market place. The other option is to use Freeview/Freesat, as I I do, but this doesn't solve the original problem. I sincerely hope Youview can support software on the other boxes going forwards in development. I know part of the problem is with Youview & the companies (shareholders) supporting the boxes: i.e. BT, Talk Talk & Humax. What is very confusing for first time consumers is not knowing that there are various versions of hardware/software. I tried explaining Youview problem to one of my friends only this Weekend,who doesn't use Youview, wanted to know if worth purchasing & they couldn't understand fully the situation with software releases & retail/subscription variations. They say this is progress? John L
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,375Member ✭✭✭
    Hey folks,

I’d been reading about the Watch List feature on this forum.

Is this something that’s dependant on the box you have? I have a BT T2100. 
    Hi @averyisweird

Retail used (or bought) BT T2100s don't have either Watch List or Discover and nor do I know of any plans to introduce them. See here -

"I can confirm that the statement that YouView have released over on their community is correct. Things will be a little different from now on, we’ll bring new features and updates to BT set top boxes based on our customer feedback rather than generic updates across BT, TalkTalk and Plusnet."
    https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-from-BT/Future-box-update/td-p/1813462

BT TV has a watch list but it is for BT TV (subscribers) use only. It also has a form of Retail's version of Discover in the form of push recommended content such as films to buy or rent and subtitled films for the hard of hearing. Both features are slick and quick but sadly are not available for retail use.

• RoyRoy Posts: 15,132Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @John L

The T4000 is a BT box, and accordingly, it shares the strengths and weaknesses of the other BT boxes, having no Discover and WatchList in the way that these exist on Retail T2000s.
    Where do all those characters that you type in search boxes and which never appear go to?
    Roy said:
    Hi @John L

The T4000 is a BT box, and accordingly, it shares the strengths and weaknesses of the other BT boxes, having no Discover and WatchList in the way that these exist on Retail T2000s.
    Hi Roy, thank you for confirming about T4000. I know that the T2000 has Discover/Watch list, as I have the box on Youview trials. Am I right that the Retail BT 2110 boxes (with Youview colour pictures on box) sold in shops such as Currys/PC World/John Lewis/Argos etc, are able to obtain the software releases for Discover/Watch List. I know that the "Brown box" subscription BT 2100 (or in my case none subscription - purchased elsewhere) don't have plans (at the moment) to have extra features. Certainly is confusing if you are not aware of differences. Be interested to clarify this. John L 
    edited 1 May 2019, 3:45PM
    Hi @John L

You can see from this YouView page  that the BT Retail versions follow in the release footsteps of the BT subscription boxes.

So no, they won’t have Discover and Watchlist, unless the BT subscription boxes get these first. If ever.
    Where do all those characters that you type in search boxes and which never appear go to?
    Thank you Roy, At the end of the day, only the T2000 has Discover & Watch list. Just glad I didn't pay full price (!!) & purchase a retail model from high street, as I nearly swapped our BT2100s & wasted more money. The Youview T2000 is now a rather old model, just seems an oversight with regards software support? It all looks "great" if you want to subscribe to BT, but what about everyone else? Look elsewhere for a Digital PVR? Youview really are going either sideways or backwards with features, which are talking a lot of time to rewrite, compared to the original Discovery feature, now lost. It certainly must create extra jobs at Youview trying to rewrite all the software. I know that the main advantage with newgen is the cloud data storage: schedules/data being stored useful if the box crashes etc. I will watch this space to see what happens with future updates (!). Thank you Roy.  John L
    edited 2 May 2019, 3:16PM
    @John L

Personally, I have never rated Discover, and I can live without Watchlist. The Retail T2000 is quite as up to date as the BT T2xxx’s, except for form factor, perhaps.

The T4000 is a different kettle of fish, but I run mine at 1080p as the upscaling it does is visibly inferior to letting our 4K Samsung TV do it. And everything this box does in 4K, the Samsung does better with built-in apps, and with HDR to boot, the lack of which is the T4000’s Achilles’ heel.

YouView do seem to be marking time, at best; nothing substantial seems to be emerging, except for ‘maintenance releases’ AKA ‘chances to put your box in peril from the update process or the new software, with no benefit you can see as a result’; there’s a stick, but no carrot on the end of it.

And the Community has gone very quiet indeed; very low traffic now. A sign both of the maturity of the product (good) and of the lack of development progress (bad). There are new releases all the time of course, but it takes just as long to roll out a mickle as it does a muckle, and we seem to be all-mickle at the moment.

I don’t think there are many new software-writing jobs at YouView; with a lot to do to get back the functionality we had before NextGen, can it really be coming on three years, yet we are still waiting?

But as ever, it is easy to conjecture a box that would beat YouView hands down; but the fact remains that nobody has built it, and there are few devices that match it, let alone outstrip it, in most regards.

However, the centre of gravity is shifting away from recording, towards streaming. Hence the boxes needing to get Amazon Video, and full NowTV, to stay relevant.

Though to anyone on the NowTV community looking for a device to watch NowTV on, do I recommend a regular retail £199 T2000, or a £125 T4000 of slightly unknown provenance, or a £20 NowTV Stick with two months of Entertainment thrown in? Guess....

But regarding relevance, remind me again, what has been (and still is being) the televisual event of the decade? And has a single episode of GoT ever been watched live on a YouView box on a public release? Errr...
  • scottscott Posts: 1,964Member ✭✭✭
    edited 2 May 2019, 9:56AM

'But regarding relevance, remind me again, what has been (and still is being) the televisual event of the decade? And has a single episode of GoT ever been watched on a YouView box? Errr...'

@Roy - In answer to the above question - most definitely yes ;)

Hi Roy, What is GoT? What Tv channel was this shown on?
    With regards Discovery, I actually used this on original Youview Oldgen software. You might not have used it, but it was very useful. The only Youview boxes that still have this are the Talk Talk DN371 pvrs. Interesting why Talk Talk still have this software & it hasn't been overwritten by newgen software (yet!). The reason why the forum has less traffic, is simply because some members may have given up & gone over to other equipment or are happy with current features/not aware of what Discovery did?  Going slightly off subject, It's a bit like Windows 7 when it was first marketed. The Media Center feature was highly demonstrated on QVC, I used it a lot for streaming + it was brilliant at add playlists & various other tricks. It was very well designed, but was shelved when Windows 8/8.1 & 10 came along. Probably feature wasn't used much as time went on/lack of consumer interest/not aware of feature & costs take over supporting product. I agree Roy to an extent, Youview is appealing to new users, easy to use, well built with regards the main interface, but slow in development in rebuilding the original main features. John L
  • GoodbyeGoodbye Posts: 152Member
    Love to know how you achieved watching got through youview as its only available though now and sky, it  maybe possible in the future if youview eventually do get the oh so long ago promise of "proper " now TV. 
  • scottscott Posts: 1,964Member ✭✭✭
    edited 2 May 2019, 12:33PM
    Try looking in the BT store and you can buy and watch all episodes from season 1-7 and then watch them on the YouView box through the BT Player (nobody said which episode or how lol). 
    You can probably do the same through the amazon app ;)
  • redchizredchiz Posts: 4,848Member ✭✭✭
    Ditto from TalkTalk TV.  :smile:
    edited 2 May 2019, 3:23PM
    Original posting tweaked slightly. But you know what my point is, and it still stands.

Especially among the army of GoT followers who bought a NowTV Entertainment Pass to watch Game of Thrones (@John L, where have you been?), thought they had a device to watch it on because they had a YouView box and found out at 1:30am or later that they hadn’t  :p
    Roy said:
    Original posting tweaked slightly. But you know what my point is, and it still stands.

Especially among the army of GoT followers who bought a NowTV Entertainment Pass to watch Game of Thrones (@John L, where have you been?), thought they had a device to watch it on because they had a YouView box and found out at 1:30am or later that they hadn’t  :p
    Hi Roy,
    Yes, I have heard of Game of Thrones. I think everyone has by now(!). It's advertised all the time. I couldn't think what GoT related to. John L 
    edited 2 May 2019, 5:55PM
    I've seen the first 6 episodes of Game of Thrones, but it didn't grab me and I'm not alone.

Now TV/SKY (full suite Boosts minus Atlantic) on TalkTalk has a very low take up and I'd estimate it will be the same for BT. As, as Roy points out, the best value road for watching it is via a stick (cheap as chips). So if it did arrive on retail I wouldn't as such regard it as a 'biggie' such as the very popular apps Netflix or Amazon Prime, in having a presence on YouView. Same with Discover. Though Watch List is very useful for at your finger tips content.
    Visionman said:
    I've seen the first 6 episodes of Game of Thrones, but it didn't grab me and I'm not alone.

It's a matter of taste of course. And suggesting it is "the televisual event of the decade" is mischief, surely? Opening ceremony of London 2012 anyone?
    redchiz said:
    Visionman said:

It's a matter of taste of course. And suggesting it is "the televisual event of the decade" is mischief, surely? Opening ceremony of London 2012 anyone?

The most watched event of recent times? Heck I watched it live and even recorded it to watch again!! Game of what? lol
    edited 2 May 2019, 8:27PM
    Must admit I used to look forward to getting the full now TV on my youview box but having discovered my bright yellow voice controlled stick I'm actually not bothered. £20 with a pass thrown in. Sky certainly know how to market a product. 

You're very late to the game.
    You're very late to the game of thrones. 
    Not at all, I have been watching it from the outset and will see it through to the end. But 90% of people I mention it to haven't actually seen it.
    Playing Catch up?  :D
    Der-der-derderder-der-derder-der-der ....
    edited 2 May 2019, 9:51PM
    Visionman said:
    redchiz said:
    Visionman said:

The most watched event of recent times? Heck I watched it live and even recorded it to watch again!! Game of what? lol
    Recorded it on what, @Visionman:p
    Roy said:
    Visionman said:
    redchiz said:
    Visionman said:

Recorded it on what, @Visionman:p
    The "old fashioned" Dvd Recorder Roy. Some of us still use them to keep recordings. Long live archiving, no time restrictions, just need the space for storage(!) John L
    I think “the most watched event of recent times” is the said Olympics ceremony I mentioned earlier, which was of course free to air, recordable on any device and a triumph for the BBC. Keep up, Roy. 😉