Watch List seemingly not supported

2»

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,491Member ✭✭✭
    John L said:
    The "old fashioned" Dvd Recorder Roy. Some of us still use them to keep recordings. Long live archiving, no time restrictions, just need the space for storage(!) John L

Very few people owned a DVR, John L. I did and found it a pain to cut out adverts for archiving TV series on SKY. Still at least they were DRM free so had their advantages. Just try buying a new one today. No chance. Everythings locked up to the eye-balls.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,205Member ✭✭✭
    redchiz said:
    I think “the most watched event of recent times” is the said Olympics ceremony I mentioned earlier, which was of course free to air, recordable on any device and a triumph for the BBC. Keep up, Roy. 😉
    How many people recorded it on a Retail YouView box, do you think? 
    Deploying my talents elsewhere now
    edited 3 May 2019, 9:22AM
    John L said:
    Roy said:
    Visionman said:
    redchiz said:
    Visionman said:
    I've seen the first 6 episodes of Game of Thrones, but it didn't grab me and I'm not alone.

It's a matter of taste of course. And suggesting it is "the televisual event of the decade" is mischief, surely? Opening ceremony of London 2012 anyone?

The most watched event of recent times? Heck I watched it live and even recorded it to watch again!! Game of what? lol
    Recorded it on what, @Visionman:p
    The "old fashioned" Dvd Recorder Roy. Some of us still use them to keep recordings. Long live archiving, no time restrictions, just need the space for storage(!) John L
    I never knew you were @Visionman, @John L

I recorded it, in 3D(!), on a newfangled PVR. But a DigitalStream; YouView boxes were barely available, perhaps even unavailable, at the time, having been released only three days previously.

That was what I was trying to nudge (the collective) you towards, but....

However, whichever was the ‘televisual event of the decade’ (@Visionman mentioned ‘most watched’ fairly, and then @redchiz used this as a paraphrase of my words, which it isn’t), in both cases, YouView was very late to the party; and, except for a privileged few with early access perhaps, will have missed both altogether.
    edited 3 May 2019, 5:55PM
    Visionman said:
    John L said:

Very few people owned a DVR, John L. I did and found it a pain to cut out adverts for archiving TV series on SKY. Still at least they were DRM free so had their advantages. Just try buying a new one today. No chance. Everythings locked up to the eye-balls.
    Yes, we had one, an analogue Panasonic, on which we used to record Sky, also in analogue then.

But it is easy to defeat DRM; just put the output, even of a YouView box, through an HDMI to component video converter, and you can do what you like with the resulting analogue, but still 1080p HD, signal.

But just try to find a recorder with an analogue input these days....
  • John LJohn L Posts: 211Member
    Hi Roy, just purchased a replacement Panasonic Dvd HDD off recently to replace faulty 12 year old Pioneer Dvd recorder. In mint condition, hardly used. You can still obtain them if you search around. It has AV inputs in RGB etc and yes I use a hdmi to scart on one of my pvrs. It works really well, but not full hd, but upscaled. Might be worth buying another one before they become obsolete! John L