BT Bought

GoodbyeGoodbye Posts: 152Member
Disgraceful with 2 teams in the last 4 of the champions league there is no terrestrial highlights. Shame on you bt.

Comments

• jimbjimb Posts: 1,095Member ✭✭✭
    Goodbye said:
    Disgraceful with 2 teams in the last 4 of the champions league there is no terrestrial highlights. Shame on you bt.

Any chance that you could explain what you're complaining about? 
  • DarrenDarren Posts: 277Member ✭✭
    edited 1 May 2019, 10:03PM
    Think they are having a go a BT for not letting anyone have FTA highlights of the semi finals of the champions league. Since two English teams are still in the Champions league. 
    Think AJax may end up in the champions league final. 
    I have always like watching the Dutch teams.
    Some say the Dutch have a similar style of play to Scottish football.
    I agree that highlights of the semi finals plus highlights of the final should also be FTA.

Darren
  • scottscott Posts: 1,964Member ✭✭✭
    edited 2 May 2019, 11:07AM
    Darren said:
    Think they are having a go a BT for not letting anyone have FTA highlights of the semi finals of the champions league. Since two English teams are still in the Champions league. 
    Think AJax may end up in the champions league final. 
    I have always like watching the Dutch teams.
    Some say the Dutch have a similar style of play to Scottish football.
    I agree that highlights of the semi finals plus highlights of the final should also be FTA.

Darren

The problem is obviously any FTA broadcaster would need to pay to show the highlights (no-one gives their property away for nothing) and get it scheduled and no broadcaster would risk paying much for these highlights especially for a couple of games knowing they might not have any English teams in them (when contracts would have had to be agreed this would be a long time before now), the CL is a bit of a gamble as you have no idea who will be in it after the group stages. This is obviously different for things like Premier league and F1 where they know who they will be able to show before the season kicks off and all the way till the end. I believe BT will be showing the whole CL final FTA on YouTube again as it has done all previous years, even though it is not contracted to do this.

They also have some highlights on their BT Sport twitter feed (I have watched that Messi free kick at least 10 times now and still not bored of it :))

Unfortunately it is about good business sense, you don't pay high money for exclusive rights and then downgrade that by offering highlights on another channel (that would be like saying shame on SKY for not letting you watch the latest GoT on FTA as it is the last season), you would really need the tender to offer highlights as a separate package so you could bid appropriately for what you are buying (like the PL rights) but as I have said before the CL package can be a bit of a gamble as you don't know how long home clubs will be in it and therefore I think UEFA decide they can get more money by offering exclusive than they can by splitting.

• GoodbyeGoodbye Posts: 152Member
    At the moment BT have exclusive UCL rights but will soon be splitting it (along with their prem content) with sky. So that logic doesn't stand. 
    edited 2 May 2019, 1:03PM

It stands even more. One of the main reasons SKY gave in and agreed a cross deal was because BT had exclusive rights to the CL and it knew with adding the BT Sport channel as a carrot within its own sports package pricing it could do some deals. If BT then decided to allow FTA highlights that would dilute the offer and the deal would not be the same.

• VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,375Member ✭✭✭
    edited 2 May 2019, 7:26PM
    Goodbye said:
    Disgraceful with 2 teams in the last 4 of the champions league there is no terrestrial highlights. Shame on you BT UEFA.

I'm a little confused by the above comment.
    All Champions League highlights are available for free on both Youtube and bt.com with no subscription required. Thats every team from every round, and its in HD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx0IKQlP8Fs
    What part of "terrestrial " are you struggling with?
    edited 2 May 2019, 8:24PM
    UCL hasn't been on terrestrial television in any format since 2012 yet you only now want to complain about it? My Goodbye, where have you been?
    Highlights on ITV every Wednesday after the 10pm news. Sadly that ended last season. 
    Was it? Didn't know that. I wonder how many others did?
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,285Member ✭✭✭
    Visionman said:
    Was it? Didn't know that. I wonder how many others did?
    Not me.
    I once went to a football match. A policeman caught me climbing over the wall.
    He told me to get back in the ground and watch the game . . . :)
    BT have exclusive rights from 18/19 till 2021 meaning no more ITV highlights. Bit strange as UEFA were previously concerned over the woeful viewing figures BT sport was getting. Currently a tiny fraction of what ITV achieved when they held the live rights. Given the very nature of BT sport can't believe this came as a surprise to them.

• stereohavenstereohaven Posts: 33Member
    Every game of high level sport behind a paywall gets "woeful viewing figures" compared to when it is shown for free on terrestrial channels, it has always been thus. UEFA (and many other sporting governing bodies), are not really interested in viewing figures, only money.
    Thank God the sporting bodies of the world cup, grand national,Olympics and Wimbledon dont share that short sighted logic. Also pretty sure the main ad sponsors are not enamored with the aspires to abysmal audiences. Think you'll find next time the rights are up for grabs the sponsors will demand  a bigger UK audience and we will get the terrestrial highlights back.
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Posts: 137Member ✭✭
    It's not the sporting bodies but the government who had the foresight to secure certain sports for terrestrial viewing back in a 1996 act, although it started a few years before this.

Details can be found here. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ofcom_Code_on_Sports_and_Other_Listed_and_Designated_Events
    edited 4 May 2019, 3:03PM
    Goodbye said:
    Think you'll find next time the rights are up for grabs the sponsors will demand  a bigger UK audience and we will get the terrestrial highlights back.
    Sponsers are sadly in a position to demand nothing. BT & SKYs football advertising revenues only generate 5% profit for them, with the same for UFEA & the Premier League, with the rest/vast majority provided by TV money, and money talks. I'm pleased live FA Cup is still on FTA TV though and even happier its on the BBC and not the dogs dinner ITV always make of football coverage with insistence of incessant adverts.

All the above has previously been the subject of a Competition Commission investigation instigated by Virgin Media but nothing was found to be untoward, so the current deals continue. Plus a side issue is no terrestrial broadcaster has the money to spend £5m plus per game on a European or Premier League game and for these reasons nor do they have the desire to.
    People always try to say someone or other (sport body, advertisers etc) will demand higher viewing figures and hence demand fta, this was said many times when the last CL rights came up with people quoting uefa were unhappy about viewing figures and yet they said (as expected) that was rubbish and BT won the rights with even less demands about making anything available fta than the first time they won them. As people say money will always be a defining factor (The olympics have been taken away and sold to a subscription service (discovery worldwide deal) although it would hope they will allow the bbc to pick the viewing rights for uk).
    Scott keep enjoying that Messi free kick as you won't see him in the final. 4.0. Thank you God, stuff the prem we've bigger fish to fry