Strange deal

GoodbyeGoodbye Posts: 269Member
Still can't figure out how bt benefit from the forthcoming proposed sharing of content with Sky.  Obviously Sky will be quids in adding bt sport to its sky sport deal's or through now tv and charging for the ultimate footy deal. But why would any youview viewer buy a bt TV package that includes sky content when it's ludicrously cheap through a 4k now stick anyway. Ok you will be able to record sky content but is that really relevant in the streaming era. 

Comments

• scottscott Posts: 1,998Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 May 2019, 3:25PM

Of course it is. There is no 'On Demand' catch up content for Sports therefore if you want to slightly timeshift any football matches/F1 etc, being able to record and watch in your time is massively important (especially if there is more than one thing on you want to watch at the same time).

Also being able to search content across all apps from one place is a huge benefit, there are a few other benefits for one try finding out when entertainment/sports content is on with a NowTV stick.

It's also about ease of access. Say someone decides they want to watch Entertainment just for a month or so while GoT is on, do they really want to go out and buy a stick and use up another HDMI port and Power socket IF they could just pay a monthly pass to BT and watch it on their already in use YouView service etc etc. It's not really about making people choose YouView because they want SKY's channels it about NOT choosing YouView because they might want SKY's channels. If they have to buy a stick to watch NowTV they might decide to look elsewhere also for their other TV services.

• GoodbyeGoodbye Posts: 269Member
    Can you use your bt monthly pass on your TV upstairs, in the garden, on the bus or train, or when your at work (find a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life)  on the beech or at your mates house, 6 devices and the ability to watch anywhere with wifi is a pretty big plus with a now pass.
    edited 7 May 2019, 5:04PM
    Yes you can ;) Your YouView box is just one of the six devices you are allowed to register.
    So I reiterate, who in their right mind would splash out on a bt TV now subscription when the now 4k stick is a vastly superior cheaper option. Just doesn't make commercial sense as going forward bt will soon  discover. 
    why have you got a YouView box
    Had one since they came out. Now own 2 not very quiet T4000 boxes (one living room other bedroom) and love them. Not having a go at youview as I would dearly love to add full now tv to it to save swapping remotes, just cant understand the logic behind anyone ditching the stick in favour of no doubt a far more expensive bt package. Take me for example I would have to buy a multi room deal on top of everything else just to replace what I currently pay £4.99 for, ok that deal ends In July but you get my point. 
    edited 7 May 2019, 6:15PM
    Like I said above this isn’t about getting people to ditch the stick but rather keep people from moving to one if they have YouView for other things and hence then giving them good reason to not look elsewhere. NowTV on its own isn’t the draw, ALL the players together is.
    You might be surprised how many people have said they couldn’t move fully from sky because they would miss the channels (NowTV stick available or not), this overcomes that obstacle in a big way (including the recording sports/tv guide part that I stated above).
    Its not going to suddenly flood the YouView subscriber base but it is a small move in the right direction.
    Why would you have to pay for multi room to get what you have now. Your YouView box just becomes one of the six devices you just use the rest exactly as before, the pass doesn’t have to be bought through BT. No one yet knows how the purchase option will work but BT are just reselling for SKY so can’t add any of their own costs.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,205Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 May 2019, 7:40PM
    @Goodbye

A NowTV 4k Box (not Stick, which can do only up to 1080p) does not provide NowTV in 4K; it remains in the same rather substandard 720p it is in everywhere else, including on the Stick. It is only the other Players and Apps that can do 4k and 1080p respectively.

Also, the NowTV Sports channels are reviled on the NowTV Community for only doing 25fps, and BT Sport on the YouView box is held up as the standard to which NowTV should aspire.

You would also be amazed at the number of people on the NowTV community who, having done even less of their homework than you  :p are trying to get Entertainment and Sport on YouView boxes, and posting, bewildered, because they “can’t use these passes on their TV”. 

Not their YouView box, note; we have to winkle it out of them that they are actually using one, so seamlessly have ‘YouView’ and ‘TV’ melded in their minds.
    Deploying my talents elsewhere now
  • VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,491Member ✭✭✭
    Goodbye said:
    Still can't figure out how bt benefit from the forthcoming proposed sharing of content with Sky.  Obviously Sky will be quids in adding bt sport to its sky sport deal's or through now tv and charging for the ultimate footy deal. But why would any youview viewer buy a bt TV package that includes sky content.
    Most won't. But the fact of having the choice to access it is massive for those that want to.

Its not even out yet and nor have price plans or options been announced, yet you already want to criticise it? Methinks you jump the gun with no facts in hand.

YouView is all about access and thereby choice. Then up to the user to decide. I'm all for more choice and the more the better.
    Wouldn't mention homework Roy as you clearly struggle with your i's and t's 🤣
    Goodbye said:
    Wouldn't mention homework Roy as you clearly struggle with your i's and t's 🤣
    I know, I know  :(  - I’m still trying to work out what three-letter combination of ‘i’ and ‘t’ might be best applicable to you  :p
    Fit??
    edited 8 May 2019, 8:41PM
    Goodbye said:
    Fit??
    The answer has to be made up exclusively of ‘i’s and ‘t’s.

So your answer doesn’t make ‘f in’ sense...
    Problem with that is I'm a coffee person. 
    How do you ask a dinosaur to lunch....Tea Rex?
    edited 12 May 2019, 7:15PM
    Goodbye said:
    Problem with that is I'm a coffee person. 
    How do you ask a dinosaur to lunch....Tea Rex?
    It’s no fun if you give the answer straight away  :/

How do you sell a 4x4 to a dinosaur?

Clue: the answer is of the form above.