No internet connection on my Sony TV

judijudi Posts: 4Member
Lost all i'net connections at home and was supplied with new router from TalkTalk. Now have computer up and running but not programmes and apps on TV (TV is working) Sent to YVM102 by TV to check problem but no instructions to follow. Has anyone had a similar problem?

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 15,208Member ✭✭✭
    edited 24 May 2019, 10:10PM
    New router, new password. Possibly even a new SSID.

Have you taught the TV the new connection, if it’s wifi?
    This is not the YouView that I knew  :'(
  • judijudi Posts: 4Member
    Thanks for the reply Roy. Sadly I dont understand the answer ie what is an SSID and how do I teach the TV the new connection - sorry am such a luddite!!
  • John LJohn L Posts: 257Member
    Good morning Judi. Welcome to Youview  Forum.
    In simple terms, SSID is the name for a Wi-Fi network. SSID "name" is shown on a list that your Router automatically shows on the Wifi list when you are searching for wifi in your home from devices. eg Belkin123, etc. You can change the name yourself if you want from within Router setup, via Browser. Each router has a different browser IP address to access router setup. Have you got Router instructions? If not look on Web for support for your router.
    With regards teaching your Sony a few tricks (!) I think Roy means regarding the Sony setup for wifi. Hopefully I may have helped answer question regarding SSID. Best thing is to look in your Sony support website for more detailed instructions for TV if you are unsure or come back again to Youview forum. Good luck. Let us know how you get on. John L
    I’m presuming, possibly incorrectly, that if you have connected your computer to the new router, you have made a WiFi connection. But maybe it was a wired (Ethernet) connection?

So here’s the basic Sony instructions you need:-

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00113674

They are called ‘Easy’, but still take one or two diversions that needn’t concern you.

Firstly, after step 3 there, the TV should show you a list of SSIDs (as @John L describes, a list of all the routers that the TV can find in your neighbourhood).

Then you need to select the name that your new router has; if you look at the back of the router, or under it, or on a little card that came with it, or maybe on a little slide-out plastic thingy on some routers, you should find this name, and also a password you will need. Maybe there will be two names, if this is a dual-band router; if so, and one has a stronger signal than the other, pick the stronger one. If they are the same strength, you will get a more guaranteed signal from the one with a 5 in the name.

When you select the matching name from the list on the TV, it will ask you to type in the password; do that exactly, as ‘A’ and ‘a’ are different.

That should be enough to make the connection and get you going again on the internet services on the TV; the BBC iPlayer, and so on.

There are a few other considerations about the WiFi connection, covered under Advanced in the link I gave; my advice is if the above gets it all going, you don’t need to worry about any of those things, the router and the TV will have sorted it out between themselves.

Only if they don’t, or they can’t, will any of that matter; in the unlikely event of problems here, come back and ask for further advice.

Good luck with it, and do let us know if/when it is all working OK!

By the way, you will need to do something similar to this on all your WiFi devices. Mobile phones have a gotcha; they will probably still go on the Internet even if you don’t set the WiFi up on them, but they will be burning up expensive mobile data rather than cheap(ish) broadband data, unless you teach them your new WiFi details.

Good afternoon to Roy and John L. I cannot tell you how grateful I am for your help  Everything is now working - TADA! Not sure II could describe everything I did or what order but hey, its working. Also now feel more comfortable with the TV side of things. Many, many thanks you two.  Kind Regards , Judi
    judi said:
    Good afternoon to Roy and John L. I cannot tell you how grateful I am for your help  Everything is now working - TADA! Not sure II could describe everything I did or what order but hey, its working. Also now feel more comfortable with the TV side of things. Many, many thanks you two.  Kind Regards , Judi
    Result! Glad to have been of help. And don’t forget what I said about your mobile  :)
    o yes, except my mobileis a £10 nokia that only makes calls!! Quite a rarity these days eh. I think they call them burner phones?  Again not complicated. thanks again Roy