BT are still telling customers they have to return their YouView box

2»

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,024 ✭✭✭
    @karlosfannyos

So 13 December 2019 was the ownership to loanership switch date.

Useful to know.
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭
    Roy said:
    jonesh said:
    Could it be that the new T&Cs come into force as soon as you are out of contract?
    Complicated - BT can’t make retrospective T&Cs, so that an owned box under the old rules becomes a loaned box under the new rules,
    Our T1000 just breathed a sigh of relief :D.
    jonesh said:
    Roy said:
    jonesh said:
    Could it be that the new T&Cs come into force as soon as you are out of contract?
    Complicated - BT can’t make retrospective T&Cs, so that an owned box under the old rules becomes a loaned box under the new rules,
    Our T1000 just breathed a sigh of relief :D.
    Better make sure it wasn’t its last sigh.....😈
    That's a very cruel thing to say, @Roy. It might be old, but it still has feelings :'(.
  • I've just quit my BTTV as the price was going up and I don't really use it much, hardly at all recently.  I just have too many other streaming services and can get most of their content elsewhere.  Should have done it ages ago but the price increase was the tipping point.

Anyway, after giving me the runaround and trying to imply that I'd have to do a new contract because the TV was originally part of the order (it wasn't, I added it to my old ADSL long before I went to Fibre) and then changing their stance when I said if I had to cancel I'd just switch providers for the new contract ....  they said I'd have to return my box.

I said "Pretty sure it's mine to keep" but they were adamant it had to come back.  This is a Humax DTR2100 that I got back in 2015 and it was advertised as yours to keep once the contract period was up.

Not sure what they are going on about - I don't use the PVR that much any more but it is nice to have the Youview functionality still for the few times I watch terrestrial TV.

I might kick up a fuss about it - pretty rich trying to claim back stuff that they don't own and you can't change a contract retroactively to own something.  Let's see if they actually send a box for me to return it.
    They'll probably send you a bag, but ignore them. It's your box. 
  • jonesh said:
    They'll probably send you a bag, but ignore them. It's your box. 

I've received two already. 
    I've just quit my BTTV as the price was going up and I don't really use it much, hardly at all recently.  I just have too many other streaming services and can get most of their content elsewhere.  Should have done it ages ago but the price increase was the tipping point.

Anyway, after giving me the runaround and trying to imply that I'd have to do a new contract because the TV was originally part of the order (it wasn't, I added it to my old ADSL long before I went to Fibre) and then changing their stance when I said if I had to cancel I'd just switch providers for the new contract ....  they said I'd have to return my box.

I said "Pretty sure it's mine to keep" but they were adamant it had to come back.  This is a Humax DTR2100 that I got back in 2015 and it was advertised as yours to keep once the contract period was up.

Not sure what they are going on about - I don't use the PVR that much any more but it is nice to have the Youview functionality still for the few times I watch terrestrial TV.

I might kick up a fuss about it - pretty rich trying to claim back stuff that they don't own and you can't change a contract retroactively to own something.  Let's see if they actually send a box for me to return it.
    I keep correcting that ‘advertised as yours to keep once the contract period was up’, and it’s probably worth getting right.

The box was yours from Day 1, and only stopped being yours if you sent it back under the cooling off arrangements. But you did have a financial liability to BT, progressively reducing throughout the contract period until it was zero at the end of it.

And if you stopped paying part way through, then BT could, and would, come after you for that money. But they could never come after you to get the box back, because it simply wasn’t theirs, it was yours.

And this arrangement applies to every agreement by which a YouView box was supplied, up until 13 December 2019 when, for agreements taken out on and after that date only, BT started retaining ownership of the boxes.

Any attempt by BT to get you to send back a box you obtained from them before that date is a potentially fraudulent act - and explicitly fraudulent if there is any attempt at coercion - and an offence, or perhaps multiple offences, under the Fraud Act 2006.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭
    BT advisors read from a pop-up on screen script that tells them what to say. But the on screen script has no idea when you bought your box. So if you entered into contract with BT before Dec 13th 2019 the box is yours to keep (and was from day 1).

If anyones getting extra hassle about this, its best to register and post on the BT YouView forum and contact a Mod, who will take up the case on your behalf until its resolution.

The BT forum can be found here -
    https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-from-BT/bd-p/YouView

Hope that helps.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    @Visionman

What happened to ‘innocent until proven guilty’?

If BT are indeed using a script which makes their agents engage in fraudulent behaviour towards a significant proportion of the customers they contact *, then BT need to carry out a wholesale revision of the script to avoid putting their agents, and themselves, in danger of accusations of fraud, going forward.

* Though I am assuming this is just supposition on your part, and you don’t really know if in fact this is the case. Not least because any script must surely be leaving gaps for the insertion of contingent information from the customers’ records, which you might hope would include the start date of any agreement under which a YouView box was supplied.

A date which the customer should challenge the agent to supply, and point out if it was prior to 13/12/2019
  • DarrenDarren Member, Super User Posts: 370 ✭✭
    edited 17 September 2020, 9:41AM
    Im lucky BT gave me the main Youview box that I using the back in 2018 and the BT Youview retail box I have in my bedroom is from 2017. After the the original Youview box that I had packed in.
    I was offered a Youview T4000 box when i changed my TV package to Now TV Big Entertainment but never tane the box.
    I will however have to send back the Home Hub6(smart Hub) that they sent me end of last year to replace the Home Hub 4 that I was using. if I ever had to leave BT. 
    Been fully back with BT for over 30 years and think the only part of the BT service that I now hardly use is the phoneline to make calls.
    I seem to find it depends who you get on the end of the phone. As I spoke to two guys this year and they have both not said they same thing.
  •   Well I've now received the bag - they apparently do expect me to send back my 2015 Humax Youview DVR box which was at the time explicitly stated as being the property of the subscriber after the contract was up.

I will now have to phone them up and get this sorted before they start hassling me and ding my credit record.  What a disorganised shower.  They offer a decent technical service but any time I've had occasion to call them to rectify something, there is nothing but hassle and confusion usually meaning I waste anything up to an hour getting annoyed before I finally get put through to someone who knows what they are talking about.....
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 332
    Morning. I wouldn't waste time hanging on the telephone constantly hearing your call is important to us🤔.
    This is a standard automated response so just ignore it.
    Doubt if they will take it any further but if they do ask to speak to a manager as the average call centre worker will probably be script driven by current and in your case wrong information and demand it back with the odd threat thrown in.
    The box is yours. 
    Good luck
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
      Well I've now received the bag - they apparently do expect me to send back my 2015 Humax Youview DVR box which was at the time explicitly stated as being the property of the subscriber after the contract was up.

I will now have to phone them up and get this sorted before they start hassling me and ding my credit record.  What a disorganised shower.  They offer a decent technical service but any time I've had occasion to call them to rectify something, there is nothing but hassle and confusion usually meaning I waste anything up to an hour getting annoyed before I finally get put through to someone who knows what they are talking about.....
    @YouwithaView

Probably worth getting right if you are going toe to toe with BT - the box was yours from Day 1, not from when the contract was up.