plusnet youview box

noelgnoelg Member Posts: 18
Hi ,as a newbie to this community I have a query which may have been answered but google is doing what it pleases my question is this ; If I move from Plusnet to Vodafone in the new year do my recordings on my Youview plus box remain available for viewing after I transfer ?

Comments

• Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 514 ✭✭
    All the normal Freeview recordings will still be available to you but if you've recorded any subscription channels like BT Sport then you'll lose those.
    The Youview box will work just like a normal Freeview recorder when transferring to Vodaphone.
  • noelgnoelg Member Posts: 18
    This is plusnet's reply 
    Hi Anthony, 

I'm sorry to hear you are considering leaving Plusnet. Is there anything we can do to help you want to stay? 

Our Customer Options team would be more than happy to discuss a retention offer. They can be reached on: 0800 013 2632

Opening Hours:

8am - 8pm Monday to Friday  
    9am - 7pm Saturday  
    9am - 6pm Sunday 

If you do decide to leave, your saved youview shows may not stay saved as you are no longer paying for the service from ourselves.

Kind Regards

Ollie
    Sort of as I said really. It's only any subscription channel recordings that you'll lose and that's guaranteed.
    I have no subscriptons so we should be ok 
  • GoodbyeGoodbye Time out Posts: 336
    edited 23 June 2019, 6:30PM
    Annoyingly why can't they just do the "retention offer" at renewal instead of punishing loyalty 😡 Coincidentally thinking of joining  BT owned Plusnet when ours is due for renewal as it's a lot cheaper then BT who were currently with.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭
    noelg said:
    If I move from Plusnet to Vodafone in the new year do my recordings on my Youview plus box remain available for viewing after I transfer ?
    Hi and in short yes.
    As said above, its only subscription channel recordings that are blocked when a user leaves a subscription TV package, due to rights issues beyond their control. All the free players will still work as well, with no restrictions. 
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    As my time for moving isp's gets closer ,I thought I would have a little play and checked my recordings without being connected to the internet and they are still available . My wife and I have  a static caravan and we might take the Youview box with us so I was checking this out. A happy bunny.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,240 ✭✭✭
    noelg said:
    As my time for moving isp's gets closer ,I thought I would have a little play and checked my recordings without being connected to the internet and they are still available . My wife and I have  a static caravan and we might take the Youview box with us so I was checking this out. A happy bunny.
    Yes, all the thumbnails will go blank, but the programme descriptions of the recordings, and the recordings themselves, will still be present and watchable.
    ‘Impossible’ problems solved, courtesy of Sherlock Holmes and What’sOn
    Hi all , as usual with me I have a range of questions running through my head so here goes with the next 1 ; whilst watching Nowtv through my Youview box is it possible to record from Nowtv to  the Youview box ?
  • John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 661 ✭✭
    noelg said:
    Hi all , as usual with me I have a range of questions running through my head so here goes with the next 1 ; whilst watching Nowtv through my Youview box is it possible to record from Nowtv to  the Youview box ?
    Quick answer: No, but if you have a DVD recorder you can hook up with either a scart lead/HDMI (using an adaptor: HDMI to scart/cvbs like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HDMI-to-3-RCA-CVBS-Full-HD-Video-1080P-AV-Scart-Composite-Adapter-Converter-O3R8/401964354539?hash=item5d96f14beb:m:mXvgKH7jE5scG-r9z3KrulQ and record in real time directly to either built in Hard Drive on DVD recorder (if you have one) or to DVD disc. DVD recorders can be obtained for around £50+ or from a reputable Charity shop that PAT tests electrical equipment. Happy recording!

Hope this helps you. Let us know how you get on. John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
    Thanks John it gives me something else to think about ; but I will be moving from Plusnet as my present contract costs me £41 p.m. and I can get the same from Now for £25  it's a no brainer really .
    noelg said:
    Thanks John it gives me something else to think about ; but I will be moving from Plusnet as my present contract costs me £41 p.m. and I can get the same from Now for £25  it's a no brainer really .
    The extra £16 gets the telephone answered 24/7 by PlusNet, and sundry other benefits; you might want to spend some time on the NowTV Community, to evaluate how people are getting on with NowTV Broadband.
    Glad to help noelg.
    £41?!!! What a rip off! (That's my own personal view forum - don't subscribe - we keep our DVDs etc). Do you have the time to watch extra content? We have a new tv that is advertising extra streaming etc & certainly are not going to splash out on extra content, unless it really really was worth it. Don't have enough time to watch recordings plus live programmes. My favorite stream is Youtube. Plenty of quality concerts, content (a lot in HD & yes also some in 4K) to watch. All free unless you want advert free content.
    You can always still use the Youview pvr as a spare pvr. Don't throw it away! We seem to live in a "throw away" society. We have several pvrs around the home that record to save clashes when recording. Easy to connect extra devices to your tv. Good luck with NowTv. Is that £25 one off fee for the box, followed by £7.99+ a month or £25 a month? Certainly a cheaper option compared to Plusnet. Hope Plusnet are reading the Youview forum! 
    John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
    edited 29 December 2019, 3:46PM
    Hi @John L

I think you have told us everything but who your ISP is, and what your subscription costs.

Good though DVDs were, before the advent of Blurays and UHD Blurays, they can’t get you on the internet, enjoying lovely Communities like this one  :p
    Hi Roy, what are you on about? 
    I use the internet all the time. My conversation was with noelg.
    For your info, I don't have a subscription, my ISP is with John Lewis (previously Plusnet). My point was the high price paid. I understand about the "history" of DVD's etc. One day there will be a national museum for them, along with vinyl (vinyls just returned) & CDs. Happy days Roy!
    John L
    @John L

If you post in the Community, you are posting to everybody. If you want to post solely to @noelg, you should PM him.

Except that you shouldn’t, except in special circumstances; the general rule is ‘if it’s posted in the Community, reply in the Community’.

But it depends on what you think is a ‘high price’. For a month of first-run movies, I paid £11.99, the price of one DVD we would probably never watch again, and we have watched four so far, and have two more planned....
    Hi Roy,
    We all have different viewpoints agreed? I certainly wouldn't pay £11.99 for a DVD when it first comes out. Simply couldn't afford it plus also know that price will come down within 3-6 months. Other than that will hit the Charity shops within year or two. Amazing what you can pick up without spending a fortune. Again everyone is entitled to his/her own views. 

Yes Roy, I am fully aware of posting on forum, as you are also aware. Welcome back Roy!
    Wishing you a Happy New year for 2020. I wonder how long Britbox will last? (I think we have come off the thread a little, but never mind). 

Noelg, hope you are able to record off your TV/answered your original question. Glad to have given you some ideas/help. 
    John L
    I thought I had logged into my Fly fishing forum the way this digressed. 
    Back on topic my sister in law uses Nowtv and broadband and is very happy with it .  As my youview box has the nowtv app installed I was curious if it would record from the app . We have a static caravan in which I was thinking of using my Youview box as a pvr to watch what I have already recorded and what I am about to record prior to our new season starting .
    Thank you for your replies gentlemen .
    @noelg

Does your fly fishing community also have the lure of going off topic?  ;)
    Yes too many times.
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Member, Super User Posts: 842 ✭✭✭
    Roy said:
    @noelg

Does your fly fishing community also have the lure of going off topic?  ;)
    He didn't take the bait Roy :)
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
    That may be because we don't use bait ..
    edited 1 January 2020, 1:31PM
    . . . .the only bait seems to be aimed at "me" in this instance! I very kindly answered noelg's question regarding recording from NowTv to Youview. I took the time & trouble to help. Yes, the subject went slightly off subject, not just by me, but others on the forum. Instead I get criticism from Roy. Welcome back Roy (!). I don't read all the forum questions in total detail, don't have the time all day long to read whole topic, but try to help when I can answer a question.

I seem to remember only recently the subject about Youview forum & the loss of members. Roy please read your inbox again from a few weeks/months ago. 

Happy New Year to everyone. Let's hope 2020 is a better year health wise & also helping others on the Youview forum. John L
    A very happy new year to you all and thank you for your replies .
    No problem noelg, glad we could all help you in some way.
    A Happy New Year to you.
    John L
  • jbtiborjbtibor Member Posts: 15
    edited 15 November 2020, 1:03AM
    Is it possible to connect the Plusnet YouView+ box to the BT TV app so that I can schedule FreeView recordings remotely? I don't have any Plusnet subscription, I'm only interested in recording FreeView.
    Shouldn't be a problem, just don't try to log in to your non-existant BT account.
    Tim C said:
    Shouldn't be a problem, just don't try to log in to your non-existent BT account.
    @jbtibor

Indeed so. The (only) useful bits, for us non-BTTV users, are Live/Full TV Listings, from where we can set future recordings, individual or series, and My TV/Recordings List, for what we have Recorded, and what we have Scheduled,

It’s pretty **** compared with the YouView app we had; no deep linking into the broadcaster’s players for past programmes, just the one generic set of channels instead of the ones on our particular boxes, and no radio channels.

But I suppose that we must be glad for the half a loaf that BT have thrown us 🍞 now YouView have taken our fresh-baked bread away 🥖🥪🥪
  • zulu17zulu17 Member, Super User Posts: 1,031 ✭✭
    @Roy I believe that BT are looking to move to using the Youview programme data in a future BT TV app update possibly in December.
    zulu17 said:
    @Roy I believe that BT are looking to move to using the Youview programme data in a future BT TV app update possibly in December.
    @zulu17

Sounds promising, but in what ways, exactly, would that change the operation of the BT app?